Roivas Mansion - N4A Chat Thread - October 2020

Tyranogre

Apparently Gold and Silver are 20 years old today - damn that’s been a long time since they were originally released

Still one of my favorite generations/regions to this day too...

Unfortunately the battery in either my Gold or Crystal games is dead... not sure which one, though - not that i can check since I didn’t bring either with me 

Though i could always buy those GB games off the 3DS Eshop at some point, so at least there’s that....

Though i do have HeartGold with me... but can’t exactly pick that one since I can’t trade anything over to another game to restart it

Is it strange that I don't like Metroid: Zero Mission and Super Metroid as much because of Samus' odd midair movement? Whether it's the WiiU or Switch, landing on a platform is 50/50. It doesn't help the fact that of the platforms are short and knockback exists. I can never time when she's going to do a short jump, a somersault, and land on the platform at the right angle. Don't get me started on wall-jumping. If the series was a run-and-gun platformer based on what I've played, I'd give each entry a 6/10. But, as an open-world adventure series with a collection aspect, it's nearly perfect. Exploration hints are not as creative as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I'd give SOTN the title of the best Metroidvania, but I also haven't played anything else from the genre to make me think otherwise.       

scathing hot take: as somebody who has played a lot of the metroid castlevania titles i actually don't like symphony of the night much at all and i don't like how the movement feels in most of them barring maybe harmony of dissonance and dawn of sorrow, and the platforming/navigation elements in the games in general feel very basic and rudimentary at best

the strength of the metroidvania titles is generally in the RPG elements and combat designs like character swapping, circle of the moon's cards, or the fantastic soul system in aria/dawn

metroid games have far less creative combat but feel of the games and platforming elements are way more interesting and rewarding to learn y;

Edited by Edie Napier

also my FFXIV sub expired because i'm poor so i went digging into my backlog and i started darkest dungeon, which is exactly the kind of game i need in my life right now

although i wish my crusader would stop suffering from hysterical blindness, he's caught it like four times theydonothing;

25 minutes ago, Pichi said:

samus's controls in super feel stiff and hard to adjust to at first but are very satisfying to improve at

I get that. But, when I thought I got the timing right, the game tells me otherwise, and it gets really annoying for me. I thought I was getting better at it, but the game might have a problem with my inputs.   

Still, attacking stuff is a lot more gratifying, especially bosses. Once, when I was grabbed by a boss who can fly in Super Metroid, I grappled onto the nearest source of electricity. I got hit of course, but it killed the boss instantly. 

28 minutes ago, Edie Napier said:

scathing hot take: as somebody who has played a lot of the metroid castlevania titles i actually don't like symphony of the night much at all and i don't like how the movement feels in most of them barring maybe harmony of dissonance and dawn of sorrow, and the platforming/navigation elements in the games in general feel very basic and rudimentary at best

the strength of the metroidvania titles is generally in the RPG elements and combat designs like character swapping, circle of the moon's cards, or the fantastic soul system in aria/dawn

metroid games have far less creative combat but feel of the games and platforming elements are way more interesting and rewarding to learn y;

Huh, I thought Symphony of The Night had some of the best choices of combat in its genre, and I think the means of exploration were really interesting. For me, it felt good controlling Alucard and making him better throughout the game. I'm not saying it doesn't have flaws, but I seem to disagree with you there. 

i mean yeah, the thing to me that made metroidvania games interesting were the combat options and symphony of the night does that very well, i never said it didn't y;

i find the platforming designs and level layouts generally bland and functional at best where they're often vaguely symmetrical or linear rooms, i don't find them interesting at all to jump around or navigate through because they feel designed like they have to facilitate combat, whereas while metroid's combat is never particularly innovative or deep it meshes perfectly with its movement and compliments the game in enemies feeling more like obstacles to maneuver through and don't feel like either is holding back the other

castlevania games are very good at giving you options in how you want your character to fight, but at least to me it always felt like they had to accommodate that by putting level design under a very broad umbrella, whereas metroid games give you less options to work with but they push those fewer options a lot harder into more interesting directions

Edited by Edie Napier

Symphony of the Night is a fantastic game, but it’s also way too easy. In order for there to be any sort of challenge, you have to go out of your way to make yourself weaker by equipping shittier equipment.

Circle of the Moon’s biggest issue is that because all of the cards are locked behind random drops, it discourages you from experimenting with the different card combos in favor of just rolling Venus + Mandragora all day. Magician Mode fixes this by giving you all of the cards at the start of the game.

SotN by all accounts is a fantastic game in what it brought to the genre, but it also to me suffers the same problem maybe games like HL2 or Shenmue have in the sense that it was such a blueprint for an entire genre that it feels like so many games have iterated on it and improved what it did in some way, shape or form and the game feels very aged or basic as a result.  I think of it as a fascinating progenitor of sorts to the genre, but I will take almost any Castlevania game that came after it or any game inspired by it over SotN nowadays, warts and all they might have. y;

Edited by Edie Napier