Fanservice in Fire Emblem Fates.

This has already probably been discussed a long time ago, but I feel the need to bring it up since not a lot of people did on the GameFAQs boards.

Did the fanservice in Fire Emblem Fates go a little too far?

I mean, while I don't have TOO big of a problem with them, the female versions of certain classes, especially the Nohrian ones like Fighter, Berserker, Cavalier, Paladin, Great Knight, General, Dark Mage, Sorcerer, Dark Knight, Nohr Princess and Nohr Noble, and Camilla's Malig Knight armor are pretty out there and lewd in design.  Even the female Hoshido Noble outfit is pretty risqué in how it looks.  Definitely the not the kind of armor to wear for function so much as it's probably meant for fashion.  True, I have seen worse stuff on Soul Calibur V as far female armor goes (like the Tiger Lily set, and of course Ivy's outifts as well as the first outfit for Elysium), but still, not what I'd expect from Nintendo.  Then again, Nintendo has gotten bit more raunchy these days with games like The Wonderful 101 and Palutena's intro video for Smash Bros.  Again, don't have a big problem with the female outfits as I am a hot-blooded, straight male who likes a good deal of eye candy.

No, my problem with the fanservice in this game has to do with those Raider Weapons and Sophie's Personal Skill.  I mean, seriously?  Weapons and skills that remove an enemy's clothing?  What demented bastard came up with this idea?  And I know this can happen to both male AND female opponents, but even for the females, it goes way too far.  I'd expect this kind of insanity out of Ghosts 'N' Goblins and Maximo, not Fire Emblem.  I feel like Intelligent Systems got inspired by the most recent Soul Calibur games with the destructible equipment system they used, but even then, those games at least gave the characters a sense of modesty (except for Lost Swords).  What's really hypocritical is that Nintendo Treehouse keeps this feature in, but takes out most of the different undergarments you could dress your characters in.  I mean, if you're going to have it where you can remove your opponent's armor in the multiplayer and My Castle battles, at least give us more visual variety than either the default underwear or a bath towel.  I just don't get people sometimes.  In the end, if Intelligent Systems was looking for a way to lighten up the mood of a serious-toned games like Fates, I think they went WAY over the edge.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on this.  Feel free to post your comments and thoughts, because I'm interested to read your opinions on this whole thing with Fire Emblem Fates.

No, my problem with the fanservice in this game has to do with those Raider Weapons and Sophie's Personal Skill.  I mean, seriously?  Weapons and skills that remove an enemy's clothing?  What demented bastard came up with this idea?  And I know this can happen to both male AND female opponents, but even for the females, it goes way too far.

Well they did something similar with some of the XSeed games, especially in the Senran Kagura series. I've heard about that one here on the forums and that one is just as pandering as what you mentioned above and then some. An example (watch from the point in the link and it shows the clothes damaging that this series is known for) from one of the games.

Edited by Lance's Dragonite

>soul calibur

>sense of modesty
pick one

It's a series where you can literally pair people and ship them together as couples, at least going by recent games.  Fanservice has always existed.

Granted that, I agree.  One of the things I always liked about the games is that the character designs were tasteful and at least somewhat practical in most (not all) cases.  It was a strangely conservative approach to medieval fantasy.  And while I like the NMH art designer, when he came on board for Awakening, the designs went from admittingly generic but practical medieval fantasy to generic impractical JRPG.  I wouldn't mind it in any other series but FE.

1 minute ago, --|-- said:

>soul calibur

>sense of modesty
pick one

It's a series where you can literally pair people and ship them together as couples, at least going by recent games.  Fanservice has always existed.

Granted that, I agree.  One of the things I always liked about the games is that the character designs were tasteful and at least somewhat practical in most (not all) cases.  It was a strangely conservative approach to medieval fantasy.  And while I like the NMH art designer, when he came on board for Awakening, the designs went from admittingly generic but practical medieval fantasy to generic impractical JRPG.  I wouldn't mind it in any other series but FE.

Exactly. Same goes with Mortal Kombat in part. It's not so much fanservice there as 'sex sells' but it's there. One example being Jade from the series. The outfit she's (not) wearing wouldn't be very practical in any real combat setting.

13 minutes ago, Weaver said:

It wasn't enough to distract me from the game being shit so I'd argue there wasn't enough

The game's good enough to me.  Yeah, there are a few problems and it won't have the type of story that competes with other RPGs, though tactical games aren't really known that much for story (Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn being exceptions).  Overall, I pretty much enjoy Fates.  I know Blazing Knight from YouTube is the same way (though his opinion on Corrin differs from mine). 

8 minutes ago, Iridium said:

Fanservice was probably the least of Fates' problems.

The only time it really bothered me was the mounted class models that have exposed ass while riding on a creature that's probably loaded with bacteria. Other than that it was probably one of the few things Fates had going for it.

This was exactly my thoughts as well. There were so many problems with that game that a little bit of skin here and there is not even worth mentioning.

That said, it's a Japanese game. There's gonna be some fanservice. As long as it isn't being directly emphasized, I see no problem.

27 minutes ago, --|-- said:

>soul calibur

>sense of modesty
pick one

Ah, so Yusuke Kozaki worked on character designs for No More Heroes.  That explains everything.

3 minutes ago, Albedo238 said:

The game's good enough to me.  Yeah, there are a few problems and it won't have the type of story that competes with other RPGs, though tactical games aren't really known that much for story (Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn being exceptions).  Overall, I pretty much enjoy Fates.  I know Blazing Knight from YouTube is the same way (though his opinion on Corrin differs from mine). 

Blazing knight? Is that some sort of YouTube authority on fire emblem games? lol

1 minute ago, Weaver said:

Blazing knight? Is that some sort of YouTube authority on fire emblem games? lol

Kind of.  He does a lot of countdown videos, mostly of the Fire Emblem games since he loves them a lot.  In fact, he admitted his favorite Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn character is the Black Knight.  On the downside, his favorite Awakening character is Sumia.

1 minute ago, Weaver said:

Whoever it is, I'll not put much weight on his opinion. Fates was a shitshow. The mechanics were good but that's not enough for a Fire Emblem game anymore. If I wanted purity of mechanics I'd go play Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions again. Make a FE game with butchered story and characters and you might as well toss that shit out unfinished, cause ain't nobody want none of that garbage.

2 minutes ago, Albedo238 said:

Kind of.  He does a lot of countdown videos, mostly of the Fire Emblem games since he loves them a lot.  In fact, he admitted his favorite Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn character is the Black Knight.  On the downside, his favorite Awakening character is Sumia.

Brb checking him out

1 minute ago, SatoshiKyu said:

Whoever it is, I'll not put much weight on his opinion. Fates was a shitshow. The mechanics were good but that's not enough for a Fire Emblem game anymore. If I wanted purity of mechanics I'd go play Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions again. Make a FE game with butchered story and characters and you might as well toss that shit out unfinished, cause ain't nobody want none of that garbage.

Eh, gameplay comes before everything else for me.  If I want to play an RPG with good story, I'll play Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, Skies of Arcadia Legends, the Xenosaga Trilogy or Xenoblade Chronicles.

They definitely went down  the fan service chasm with Fates and Awakening.

I don't mind femme fatales having it, but when chars like Sophie and Effie are running around chapless I take issue with it.

Lucina is probably the most loved of Kozaki's characters and she shows no fanservice whatsoever

Edited by Draxal
Just now, Albedo238 said:

Eh, gameplay comes before everything else for me.  If I want to play an RPG with good story, I'll play Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, Skies of Arcadia Legends, the Xenosaga Trilogy or Xenoblade Chronicles.

Or. OR. OOOOR. Fates could have had a good story and good characters and the decent mechanics it already has and everyone would be happy! But it doesn't and they aren't and that's why it's shit. Basic fact is that FE isn't about mechanics alone. Hasn't been since at least PoR. It's a triumvirate of concepts that makes a good FE game, and if you don't manage to be at least decent in all of them the whole thing falls over. Fates had two crippled legs and one decent one, so it was basically DOA.

2 minutes ago, SatoshiKyu said:

Or. OR. OOOOR. Fates could have had a good story and good characters and the decent mechanics it already has and everyone would be happy! But it doesn't and they aren't and that's why it's shit. Basic fact is that FE isn't about mechanics alone. Hasn't been since at least PoR. It's a triumvirate of concepts that makes a good FE game, and if you don't manage to be at least decent in all of them the whole thing falls over. Fates had two crippled legs and one decent one, so it was basically DOA.

Well, despite shortcomings, I actually like Fates.  Sorry my opinion isn't the same as yours.

The worst part about the 3DS games are that they are very, very, very blatant otaku bait. The stories are cliche enough for the average otaku to be able to understand and the characters are shallow enough for the average otaku to be able to understand. They give you a self-insert protagonist who is super special for you to have your power-fantasy. Robin's just so smart and always has the right tactical answer. Corrin's game is a fucking trainwreck in regards to story, but they're also the son/daughter of the big bad dragon that completely destroys the point of the game's gimmick.

No, I am not saying that the previous games didn't have a cliche story, cliche characters, and so on. Because they absolutely did. However, they were done well enough (Read: not shallower than a puddle) that they were forgivable.

Let's talk about characters. They are all one dimensional archetypes. Pick a character and you'll be able to describe their full character in one sentence or two. Chrom is a very uninteresting selfless prince. Frederick is an overprotective dork. Olivia is shy. Which leads one to wonder why anyone gives a shit about these characters. The answer: character design. And oh boy.

Fire Emblem aimed for a high fantasy-esque mark. Not everything is realistic, but there's an emphasis on practicality. You don't need to suspend your disbelief too hard to believe that these characters are soldiers. Front-line units are, in general, more heavily armored than rear-guard units and mounted units. The rest of it can be hand-waved away since you're often recruiting from either the enemy or neutral parties. Here's a picture of the very best character design the series has to offer, for emphasis:

11uDRMq.jpg

How do the 3DS games handle character designs?

990.gif

"but she's mounted", I hear you scream. Yes, and those bouncing tits are screaming "SHOOT ME IN THE HEART WITH YOUR ARROWS SO I CAN BE PUT OUT OF MY BOOB BELT MISERY".

But fanservice isn't just purely 'how much skin does this character show' and bondage wear. It is also specific archetypes that otaku cling desperately to like a pacifier. Fates has plenty of characters that (unapologetically) aim right for those. Tsunderes, kuuderes, yanderes, plenty of generic waifus for you to wank to.

let's also not forget creep shit like skinship

So, yes. But I wouldn't put the blame on Fates alone. It's merely the extension of what started in Awakening.

tl;dr: Final Fantasy Tactics completely shits on Fire Emblem.