So $70 games...

I guess it was to be expected at some point, but still not really happy with it, particularly from Sony leading it with their PS5 1st party titles. Only a matter of time until others follow suit. It'll be worst with Nintendo though when they never price drop their shit; games from gens ago that still go for $60, if you're lucky to still find them.

With the current state of the world, is also the worst time imo to be having that kind of inflation. I get why it be done eventually, but as a consumer, there's no benefit to upping the price to $70 (higher in other places which will also see a price increase) in an environment of season/fighter passes, DLC expansions, microtransations, etc... Games in general are still gonna be as predatory as they were before depending on the publisher and such. A base game price increase will not compensate for shit, much as some may have been hoping otherwise.

1 hour ago, Pichi said:

tbh i'm honestly kinda shocked that AAA games have managed to stay at $60 for literal decades

This but I have to wonder if this happened 2 gens ago or the one we are in right now would the shock be more manageable?

Outside the financial climate of the world this more of shellshock, even if it was suspected for a while so the wait combined with state of the world is making this hard to swallow now.

Up here Canada those first part PS5 games are $89.99 with taxes in my province that is already over $100 here. I can't even and once I make the jump to next, I'm probably gonna buy 3 max games a year and ones I really really like.

Glad I can still play Miles Morales on PS4 tho lol.

P.S. PS5 disc version up here is $629.99.

1 hour ago, Pichi said:

tbh i'm honestly kinda shocked that AAA games have managed to stay at $60 for literal decades

I got like two minds about this. On one hand, it's pretty reasonable to expect that they'd increase in cost over time like everything else and I'm actually not completely opposed to the idea but the audience for games has also increased dramatically and it's more profitable than ever and peoples' salaries haven't really increased as well. If people were making more money and the increased money from sales went directly to the developers I'd be fine with that.

(also I think indie games in general are actually underpriced and steam sales and stuff have completely destroyed ppl's perception of what a game should be worth but that's another discussion lol)

(also as a disclaimer I don't want to come off as a corporate shill so I think if you can't afford a game you should just pirate it, I don't think your ability to experience art should be limited by your ability to pay for it lol)

I am a little bummed about this though because like once you add in taxes and everything 70 USD is going to work out to like 100 CAD, which is absolutely brutal.

10 minutes ago, devilsKnife said:

(also I think indie games in general are actually underpriced and steam sales and stuff have completely destroyed ppl's perception of what a game should be worth but that's another discussion lol)

fuckin ppl are like "overall $10 is far too much to pay for this game's meagre 5 hours of gameplay" or some bullshit. literally 2 bucks per hour of entertainment

pirating aside i suggest everybody just not buy new games. it's worked for me for years. sometimes you feel left out but they're still good years later :v

Edited by Pichi
2 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

I guess it was to be expected at some point, but still not really happy with it, particularly from Sony leading it with their PS5 1st party titles. Only a matter of time until others follow suit. It'll be worst with Nintendo though when they never price drop their shit; games from gens ago that still go for $60, if you're lucky to still find them.

With the current state of the world, is also the worst time imo to be having that kind of inflation. I get why it be done eventually, but as a consumer, there's no benefit to upping the price to $70 (higher in other places which will also see a price increase) in an environment of season/fighter passes, DLC expansions, microtransations, etc... Games in general are still gonna be as predatory as they were before depending on the publisher and such. A base game price increase will not compensate for shit, much as some may have been hoping otherwise.

All of this. $59.99 is pushing it for me as it is.

Predatory is a good word for it, especially at this point in time, in the middle of a pandemic and a depression. 

No excuse for it. I'm already getting less games for the most part and any I do get, Animal Crossing aside (only $60 game I've gotten this year), I've gotten on sale or used.

@devilsKnife I'm of a similar mind when it comes to pay. People's pay hasn't gone up in years, so I can't justify the increase until it (what they get paid) goes up equally in terms of inflation to balance things out.

Edited by Doc Brown
23 minutes ago, Pichi said:

fuckin ppl are like "overall $10 is far too much to pay for this game's meagre 5 hours of gameplay" or some bullshit. literally 2 bucks per hour of entertainment

pirating aside i suggest everybody just not buy new games. it's worked for me for years. sometimes you feel left out but they're still good years later :v

The obsession with game length is so funny to me. Like I don't always want to blow through a game but a game that's padded to hell and back is not automatically better than one with leaner pacing. Star Fox 64 takes less than an hour to beat and it's one of the best games ever probably. I can beat that RE2 remake in less than 2 hours and it was incredible.

I remember when the FFVII remake came out and people were complaining that it was "only" 37 hours long. The entire original game is like that long lol

48 minutes ago, Pichi said:

Yeah, I've been kinda leaning towards doing this more in general, especially now with how tough it can be being an early adopter of current AAA games. "Should've waited for the complete edition", etc. The waiting game is worth it for something you want enough but at a more reasonable price. I'd rather feel left out at times than be "Ugh, why'd I get the game this soon?".

34 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

All of this. $59.99 is pushing it for me as it is.

Predatory is a good word for it, especially at this point in time, in the middle of a pandemic and a depression. 

No excuse for it. I'm already getting less games for the most part and any I do get, Animal Crossing aside (only $60 game I've gotten this year), I've gotten on sale or used.

This has also kinda turned me off from next gen in general. Up to this point, had been lukewarm at best on the PS5 and next Xbox variants, but now, I don't know. Slowly been getting accustomed to PC gaming again anyway, but always like having at least one of those other platforms as an alternative. Still, this is probably the least hyped new gen since ever with diminishing returns, but the $70 games is the icing on the cake.

As aforementioned, I'm guessing the others (Nintendo, Microsoft, other publishers, etc) will eventually follow suit with the $70 model, and Sony merely took the hit of writing it down first, with their 1st party PS5 titles. Microsoft at least has Game Pass though (on PC and xbox) even if it comes to that with them, but still.

Oh, with Nintendo, may be awhile yet till we see $70 games from them. At least, I don't see Switch games being that anytime soon, but could be wrong.

Edited by Ridley Prime
1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

Oh, with Nintendo, may be awhile yet till we see $70 games from them. At least, I don't see Switch games being that anytime soon, but could be wrong.

I don't see that happening because this upcoming gen. Games come to Switch but with 2 caveats, can it run on Switch and the Switch tax when it comes to size of the cartridge.

The former was is all but gone but latter is still a issue so with that cost that the consumer have to play I don't see Nintendo or any other publisher charging $70 for Switch games.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

$70 these days, to offer it at that kind of price, better include a DLC hook up, an Amiibo, or some other bonus offer/add on to go that high.

I think that might be a thing this generation if developers don't see they getting the dough they got when games cost $60. There's always equation to business outside of inflation that you make money much faster if you raise the cost versus taking the hit and will get the cost back more with little more time. That is pretty much happening with the next gen consoles for the Xbox Series X, S and PS5 disc and disc-less versions. What's gonna offset the digital version is what the consumer buys back their games digitally from their respective game stores online.

If they can find a balance like they did there for their digital consoles or offer some PO incentive like DLC or something I think it might be worth the cost because yeah develop cost are going up work for it by providing more bang for the consumers buck.

It's gonna be a nightmare now for like parents that aren't too familiar with gaming or hardware who try to get something for their kids. Say they buy the discless version of the PS5 or next Xbox because it's cheaper, and then make the mistake of trying to buy disc games for it like they normally would... I can see that being all too common, unless the retailers speak up enough as to say this and that are not compatible, but not all of the sellers/workers may be that elaborate.

I do see that being a problems but I feel we've been thru 2 gens now where the I don't parent may become meme.

We live in age where everything gone digital for a while now, if someone doesn't know they are buying a machine if you buy games online and not physical. It's not the end of the world in the end, sure they will feel stupid that save money or spent more than they wanted.

So yeah that could be a thing but when the ppl see prices of anything, we all have space in our brains where we say, 'that is too much'. We all have and depending how we perceive value and budget in general. No matter if one kept track that games were $60 for a while, perception will win everytime before purchase of any kind. I worry more about the games than the consoles, that is one time purchase (unless you finance the Xbox series) while game are continual thing so costs obviously goes up. 

15 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

It's gonna be a nightmare now for like parents that aren't too familiar with gaming or hardware who try to get something for their kids. Say they buy the discless version of the PS5 or next Xbox because it's cheaper, and then make the mistake of trying to buy disc games for it like they normally would... I can see that being all too common, unless the retailers speak up enough as to say this and that are not compatible, but not all of the sellers/workers may be that elaborate.

Depends on the retailer of course, but when working at TRU we had to inform customers buying a PSP GO that it was a completely digital platform and that it will not play physical media.  Product knowledge training around it specifically kept calling that fact out.  Of course, that doesn't guarantee anything if the associate doesn't do their part.

1 hour ago, Eliwood8 said:

Nobody wants prices to go up (not consumers at any rate) but if that's the cost of the AAA, so realistically detailed that you can count the pores on Cloud's forehead graphics, then I guess so be it. I'll keep renting games, buying them during sales, and only occasionally buying games full priced day one.

That's generally me, but it's frustrating when games go on sale at bad times. Thankfully it's not that often, but it sucks when it does.

Comes down to timing, and I appreciate when I'm able to get games at a lower price.