Best games on each console Part 1 (NES, Game Boy, Sega Genesis, SNES)

Best games on each console Part 1  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Best NES Games

• Super Mario Bros.
    • Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels
    • Super Mario Bros. 2 USA
    • Super Mario Bros. 3
    • Final Fantasy
    • Kirby's Adventure
    • Metroid
    • The Legend of Zelda
    • Zelda II: The Adventures of Link
    • Kid Icarus
    • Donkey Kong
    • Duck Hunt
    • DuckTales
    • Castlevania
    • Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
    • Dragon Quest
    • Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation
    • Mega Man
    • Mega Man 2
    • Mega Man 3
  2. 2. Best NES Games

• Mega Man 6
    • River City Ransom
    • Double Dragon
    • Ninja Gaiden
    • Ghosts N' Goblins
    • Contra
    • Super Contra
    • Dragon Quest IV
    • Battletoads
    • None else here
  3. 3. Best GameBoy games

• Tetris
    • Final Fantasy Adventure
    • Final Fantasy Legend
    • Final Fantasy Legend II
    • Final Fantasy Legend III
    • Metroid II: The Return of Samus
    • Poke'mon Red, Blue, and Yellow
    • Super Mario Land
    • Super Mario Land 2: The 6 Golden Coins
    • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    • Kid Icarus: Of Myths And Monsters
    • Mega Man V
    • Kirby's Dream Land
    • Kirby's Dream Land 2
    • None else here
  4. 4. Best Sega Genesis Games

• Sonic The Hedgehog
    • Sonic 2
    • Sonic 3
    • Sonic & Knuckles
    • Golden Axe
    • Golden Axe II
    • Golden Axe III
    • Phantasy Star II
    • Phantasy Star IV
    • Streets of Rage 2
    • Earthworm Jim
    • Mortal Kombat
    • Mortal Kombat II
    • Mortal Kombat 3
    • Moonwalker
    • ToeJam and Earl
    • Castlevania: Bloodlines
    • Contra: Hard Corps
    • Street Fighter II whatever
    • Comix Zone
  5. 5. Sega Part 2.

• Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
    • Altered Beast
    • Ecco the Dolphin
    • Ghouls N' Ghosts
    • Gunstar Heroes
    • Mega Man: The Wily Wars
    • Shining Force
    • Strider
    • Space Harrier II
    • World of Illusion
    • Aladdin
    • The Lion King
    • The Revenge of Shinobi
    • Battletoads game
    • None else here
  6. 6. Best SNES games

• Super Mario World
    • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    • Super Mario Kart
    • Final Fantasy II/IV
    • Final Fantasy III/VI
    • Kirby Super Star
    • The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
    • Street Fighter II
    • StarFox
    • Starfox 2
    • F-Zero
    • Donkey Kong Country
    • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    • Super Castelvania IV
    • Mega Man X
    • Mega Man X2
    • Mega Man X3
    • Crono Trigger
    • Illusion of Gaia
    • ActRaiser
  7. 7. SNES Part 2

• Super Mario RPG
    • EarthBound
    • Kirby's Dream Land 3
    • Kirby's Dream Course
    • Mario Paint
    • Contra 3: The Alien Wars
    • Battletoads game
    • Aladdin
    • The Lion King
    • GoofTroop
    • Final Fight
    • Final Fight 2
    • None else here

I've been watching videos of the best games on each consoles ever, so it got me thinking to make polls and such based on that. If there's a game I've missed, I'll try to add it to my best of my abilities (for some reason, I'm having a hard time with the original GameBoy), and you can switch your favorite games at any time. Please vote for up to your top 10 for each system, not for each poll. For now, I'll leave off any consoles I think had barely any worth games of thinking of, or anything before the NES. Not sure if I'll let Japan-Only games into the fold yet, unless there's real high demand from you.

For now, it's the systems from the NES to SNES. From the Playstation to the DreamCast will be next week if this goes well maybe. (Not doing PC, as that should have its own topic.) If there's too much problems, I'll shut this down. It's a trial run, to be honest. Let's begin.   

Edit: For those who haven't played anything on the system, I've added a "nothing else here" of some of the polls. For those which don't, just vote for at least one you've heard of on those polls. 

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams

Think this might be easier without a poll since anybody could have varying answers out of hundreds to thousands of games. No reason to limit it like this for the sake of a poll when you could just count the few replies that this forum might get.

that said, somebody's already done this on a forum with a much much larger potential audience.
just look for "top 100 [console] gamefaqs" and you'll find topics by jls403. the most recent one is usually pinned on the console board.
here's the SNES one, for example: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/916396-super-nintendo/76022917

Metroid, Super Mario Land 2 and Super Metroid for the NES, Game Boy and SNES respectively are my favorites here. I can also still enjoy all three today thanks to the internet, though only Metroid needs that boost with online maps. Of the three, Metroid is my least favorite. I do enjoy it at times more than its remake. Super Mario Land 2 is my second favorite 2D Mario game and I think my first video game (could have been Tetris on the Game Boy). It was my favorite 2D Mario until the release of New Super Mario Bros. in 2006 so it had a great run. Super Metroid is a game I would include in my current Top 5 all time or just outside of it. It's my second favorite Metroid game behind Metroid Prime Hunters. 

here are some of my favorites. just going with Nintendo consoles. only loosely ranked cause I'll spend too much time thinking about it otherwise lol

NES:
Legend of Zelda - my #1 for sure even though tower of druaga style blind secrets were a horrible idea
Milon's Secret Castle - definitely an unpopular opinion but i really like it despite its flaws
Boulder Dash - super fun action puzzle game. learned about it through a blind speedrun
Gimmick! - really cute and unique, and an insanely cool but difficult speedrun
Castlevania I and III
Super Mario Bros. trilogy - kinda feel equal about all of these. 3 would be the best if it didn't have so many god damn autoscrollers
Contra/Super C

Pinball - many comfy Animal Crossing memories associated with this one since i won it from the fishing tourney as a kid
Dragon Warrior

Game Boy:
Pokemon TCG and GBR2 (Japan only sequel) - hard #1. i fucking love these games. GBR2 has a fan translation and is a great sequel
Pokémon GSC - tied with RSE for my fav generation
Link's Awakening
Donkey Kong '94
Wario Land series
Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages - not as good as Awakening but still sick. the last few dungeons in ages can burn forever though
Mario Tennis

Tetris DX - first game to have smooth block control so it was way more fun to me than original GB Tetris or NES one. (high level NES Tetris is really sick to watch though)
Pocket Bomberman - I never hear anybody talk about this but it's really fun. It's a side-view platformer instead of regular Bomberman style for some reason.

Super Nintendo
Mother 2 - the dern best. Mother 2 >>> Earthbound cause no weird laggy menus slowing down battles and inventory
Zelda: A Link to the Past - probably my favorite game in the series
Super Mario Kart - this game is still sick. really fun for time trialing with a crazy high skill ceiling. best version of the rainbow road theme. fight me
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 - http://shitgamequitforever.com
U.N. Squadron - this game is fucking lit. played it for the first time earlier this year and fell in love instantly. OST sounds like a lost MMX game
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World

Nintendo 64
Paper Mario - the absolute GOAT, the legend, favorite of all time. The Thousand Year Backtrack can suck it (okay okay i still like it)

Super Smash Bros. - this game is so busted lmao. so many good netplay memories from like '09-'12

Mario Party 1/2 - 1 is my favorite for being the most ruthless lol. never got around to playing 3.
Kirby 64 - my favorite Kirby. super fun and comfy game.

Super Mario 64
Banjo-Tooie - this game has mixed reception but i like it way more than Kazooie. it also just straight up has Goldeneye 64 multiplayer lol

Zelda: Majora's Mask - this game is sick but man i could not figure out a lot of the sidequests. didn't spoil myself, though. gonna go back to it somedayyy

Gamecube
Super Smash Bros. Melee - stack it up babyyyyy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-HwvtRjDEI&t=102
j8OL3zX.gif

Animal Crossing - i still love this game so so much, even among all the newer versions.
Super Mario Strikers - this game is absolutely demented and fun as hell. taking all mms.
Tales of Symphonia - my first rpg love (didn't play all the classics til later). so many playthroughs. so many hours. almost all as Sheena lmao
Paper Mario TTYD - look i just don't understand why they had to get rid of the spin

Zelda: The Wind Waker
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat - vastly underrated game. super fun when actually played with the bongos, and the score system with its platforming is sick
Super Monkey Ball 1 + 2 - most fun i've ever had getting mad as hell at video games

F-Zero GX
Super Mario Sunshine
Pokémon Colosseum

Game Boy Advance
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - the game that inspired me to join NSider lol
Mother 3 - A slightly unclean and not very tasty cookie.

Pokémon RSE
Eliwood's Fun Time Party Advance
WarioWare, Inc.
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Harvest Moon - Big shoutouts to True Love Edition. Ellliiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Yu-Gi-Oh! EDS + Worldwide Edition - not as good as the Pokémon TCG GB games but still addicting

Sonic Advance
DBZ: Legacy of Goku II - i don't know how they made this good after the atrocity that was the first game, but it was surprisingly solid

i went a little overboard but whatever y;

Edited by Pichi

I'm surprised Super Metroid isn't on the SNES list.  I had another choice regardless but still!

Game Boy

Link's Awakening - I actually didn't get around to this game until maybe a year or two after I got my first Gameboy.  But having an experience like Link to the Past in my hands on a brand new adventure was hard to pass up when I saw it in a store.  From beginning to end that game had me so captivated and I even played through it two other times in full after that before I finally shelved it.  Imagine my inner child jumping for joy when the Switch remake was announced.

NES

Super Mario Bros. 3 - This is my favorite game on the NES and one of my favorites of all time.  A lot of that is due to nostalgia though as that is the first game I remember ever being serious about playing and that was thanks in part to my dad.  We played it all the time and had a notebook full of N Cards solutions and crudely drawn maps of some of the (for me at the time) tougher to figure out levels.

SNES

Admittedly I wanted to pick Kirby Superstar.  For similar reasons as my NES choice but this time it was my younger bro Krazy that helped create such a great experience and bond with the game.  We used to play so much back in the day and I think we may have rented it at first and eventually got it for Christmas; he could probably clarify that, lol.  But it was just a fun co-op experience and we had our own little inside jokes and character preferences playing through it.  I really do miss those days, growing up sucks in some ways. XD

As for what I did pick, DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Krazy and I played through this together too but it was just such a stark shift in quality from the original and everything about it just seemed so polished and had tons of secrets and little additions that made it so much fun to play.  While I like the original I was never really all that fond of the third game and felt it was a step down from DKC2.

Genesis

Sonic & Knuckles.  My exposure to the Genesis library isn't nearly as extensive as the SNES but it's hard to not consider S&K one of the best when it represented the best and more of the Sonic series at that point.  Tight gameplay, colorful graphics, fantastic soundtrack, awesome storyline to follow throughout and just a really great challenge.  Another game I would take turns playing through with Krazy.

If I had to narrow it down:

NES:

LoZ

Mario 3

Final Fantasy

Mega Man 3

TMNT III

SNES:

LttP

Secret of Mana/Chrono Trigger/Mario RPG (I can't pick one)

Mario Kart

DKC2; SMW is great, but this was a truly great non-Mario platformer

Super Metroid

Genesis:

Fuck I don't know, Sonic 2 I guess. 

Lion King so I don't have to use up a SNES spot (I'd do the same for SF2 or MK3 but fighting games sucked on Genesis with a basic controller)

Earthworm Jim (see Lion King)

GameBoy:

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

Link's Awakening

Tetris

Pokemon Red/Blue

Metroid II

• Chrom featured this topic