Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announced

1 hour ago, DranSeasona said:

Honestly just wait and come back to it. It won’t go away. There’s lots of other things to do while you level up. Then when you are higher level it will be easier. No real need to torture yourself unnecessarily.

Yeah, that's what I am gonna do.

This a first that I am not sure by level is the problem but maybe how attack more efficiently, maybe with a higher level and better fused levelled weapons with either Impa of Revali will get the job done.

Just wanna finish the story, I think I am close. It just that I finished all the side mission before moving the next main or next chapter, oh well.

Thanks you guys for your suggestion, tho.

19 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Yeah, that's what I am gonna do.

This a first that I am not sure by level is the problem but maybe how attack more efficiently, maybe with a higher level and better fused levelled weapons with either Impa of Revali will get the job done.

Just wanna finish the story, I think I am close. It just that I finished all the side mission before moving the next main or next chapter, oh well.

Thanks you guys for your suggestion, tho.

Kohga's one of those bosses where you gotta Rune-counter everything if you can just outlevel muscle him.

Finished Saturday, then did the post game, I'm at 98% completion with all 18 characters. Will post thoughts later.

Alright, thoughts time. Spoilers, like story, post-game, all characters, etc.

Spoiler

So, it's not canon. At least, it's 100% not a canon prequel to BotW. A loading screen says as much that when Terrako went back in time it created another world, so there's that. However the Champions' descendants/siblings/replacements are all the same from BotW having "fought with him before". Okay. I'm going to just write this off as non-canonical, and enjoy the ride like I did with the first one.

Astor was a decent bad guy, but I found him severely underused. Less than a handful of encounters and scenes. Would've liked more. Also, it's a little BS that Zelda MADE Terrako and there's a strong tie between Terrako, Zelda, and the Queen, and yet NEITHER Zelda nor the King remember this little guy? Sus.

Sorry Nintendo, but I feel AoC's Calamity Ganon design was better than yours. That was the end boss we needed before the FINAL final form in BotW.

Mad props on the game though. Phenomenally fun, and none of the missions felt as repetitive and tedious as the first game, then again I did play both WiiU and 3DS versions with their respective season passes and extra modes. But still. This game felt like it handled literally every aspect better. Level design, battles, layout. Loved it all. The fact they took the Runes and gave everyone a unique of using pretty much every Rune differently than the others was a very nice touch, along with their own fighting gimmick (ZR moves, like Link's arrows, Revali's flight, King's guise change, etc). Everyone really felt like their own character, even the "duplicates" (Yunobu and Daruk, etc).

Riju is garbage. You'll never change my mind on this. She handles so poorly it made me hate the character.

Where the fuck were Purah and Robbie? I kept waiting and waiting to unlock them, but never did?! Was hoping for Zelda/Impa hybrid style for Purah, and some weird gizmo-related fighting as Robbie. DLC I'm hoping. Same with Kass (or his teacher at least) and Sooga (RIP).

I'm sitting at 98% completion (on the map at least) and my last one or two unlockables are Korok seed related, so that'll be fun.... Link, Zelda, and Impa are maxed out. King is close; as the 4 of them were my "go-to" team as I kind of felt like this was THEIR story so they should star in it. Everyone else, yes Calamity Ganon and Terrako included, are all at least 80.

I loved that the post game had a bit of a story, putting poor little Terrako back together and then getting to play as him. Bless his little techno-heart. Some of the post-game missions were a bit of a challenge, but nothing I failed at. Completed a few Blood Moon challenges as well.

Also, Zelda with the Sheikah Slate is so ridiculously OP it's hilarious. Just summon the Remote Bomb drone, aim it at a big enemy, and release control while you continue to fight and you'll just wipe everything out. Especially if you max out Sheikah Rune Damage in your meals. It's almost hilarious.

I was able to beat that side mission I was having trouble with the winning smile and fish bae SIDON!

Yeah, I guess I am half-way thru ch.5 so yeah, I have a lot of questions but I gotta finish this game to get some answers and I guess the rest will be here plus some speculation.

Some of these other playable characters are wild—definitely did not expect them to be usable characters.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:17 PM, DLurkster said:

As for magic rods, I'm not sure while cruising thru the level if you can find magic rods but in making most of time to the end I managed to snag a few apples, tho never saw magic rods show up. They do provide with one fire rod at the start, I didn't even realized I had one not by accident but wanted to see if I can get that weak gauge to appear on Kohga but one is not enough when it doesn't last a long other weak gauges. Obviously the elemental weakness or burning grass exposes the long weak gauge that's all crackled. I don't even stasis those because they last so long.

Just so you know, you don't have to collect magic rods in a stage to use them in that stage. The magic "ammo" is like apples for healing; once you pick it up in one stage you can use it later at any time, even in other stages.

14 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

Some of these other playable characters are wild—definitely did not expect them to be usable characters.

Just so you know, you don't have to collect magic rods in a stage to use them in that stage. The magic "ammo" is like apples for healing; once you pick it up in one stage you can use it later at any time, even in other stages.

Hmm, I think I knew that with the apples but not the magic rods.

And as you can see in the post above, I beat the mission and I noticed the few times I retry the battle with Kohga, I notice I had quite the few magic rods. They help bring up the weak gauge for sure but the character I was using definitely help with their damage output and how the combo

I would say I never used magic rods from the start but half way thru this game, (again playing on hard difficulty) some enemies are tanks to take down. So using rods helps me bring out their weak gauge or the the splintered version if you hit the weaknesses element of the enemy or element surrounding.

Things like this are there, if you need them in my case. I really needed them.

Edited by DLurkster
On 11/30/2020 at 1:34 PM, EH_STEVE said:

Alright, thoughts time. Spoilers, like story, post-game, all characters, etc.

Reveal hidden contents

So, it's not canon. At least, it's 100% not a canon prequel to BotW. A loading screen says as much that when Terrako went back in time it created another world, so there's that. However the Champions' descendants/siblings/replacements are all the same from BotW having "fought with him before". Okay. I'm going to just write this off as non-canonical, and enjoy the ride like I did with the first one.

Astor was a decent bad guy, but I found him severely underused. Less than a handful of encounters and scenes. Would've liked more. Also, it's a little BS that Zelda MADE Terrako and there's a strong tie between Terrako, Zelda, and the Queen, and yet NEITHER Zelda nor the King remember this little guy? Sus.

Sorry Nintendo, but I feel AoC's Calamity Ganon design was better than yours. That was the end boss we needed before the FINAL final form in BotW.

Mad props on the game though. Phenomenally fun, and none of the missions felt as repetitive and tedious as the first game, then again I did play both WiiU and 3DS versions with their respective season passes and extra modes. But still. This game felt like it handled literally every aspect better. Level design, battles, layout. Loved it all. The fact they took the Runes and gave everyone a unique of using pretty much every Rune differently than the others was a very nice touch, along with their own fighting gimmick (ZR moves, like Link's arrows, Revali's flight, King's guise change, etc). Everyone really felt like their own character, even the "duplicates" (Yunobu and Daruk, etc).

Riju is garbage. You'll never change my mind on this. She handles so poorly it made me hate the character.

Where the fuck were Purah and Robbie? I kept waiting and waiting to unlock them, but never did?! Was hoping for Zelda/Impa hybrid style for Purah, and some weird gizmo-related fighting as Robbie. DLC I'm hoping. Same with Kass (or his teacher at least) and Sooga (RIP).

I'm sitting at 98% completion (on the map at least) and my last one or two unlockables are Korok seed related, so that'll be fun.... Link, Zelda, and Impa are maxed out. King is close; as the 4 of them were my "go-to" team as I kind of felt like this was THEIR story so they should star in it. Everyone else, yes Calamity Ganon and Terrako included, are all at least 80.

I loved that the post game had a bit of a story, putting poor little Terrako back together and then getting to play as him. Bless his little techno-heart. Some of the post-game missions were a bit of a challenge, but nothing I failed at. Completed a few Blood Moon challenges as well.

Also, Zelda with the Sheikah Slate is so ridiculously OP it's hilarious. Just summon the Remote Bomb drone, aim it at a big enemy, and release control while you continue to fight and you'll just wipe everything out. Especially if you max out Sheikah Rune Damage in your meals. It's almost hilarious.

Okay, I finish the main story yesterday but before I go in some detail about this game, check out this vid.

Spoiler

It goes over what you believe to be canon but also not canon to BotW, this guy thinks so too. I'm on that page as well.

First off I noticed that load text about Terrako halfway on the last main mission when it had to load somewhere. I believe it was before I or most knew the baby guardian's name and it was created by Zelda along with the assistance of Zelda's late mother the queen?!? The fuck?!? What I don't get is how the King and Zelda forgot about this guy, I wonder if this guardian going back in time that created another world cause the King and Zelda to forget about it. As the Terrako in this time turned into Harbinger Ganon. Man I hate this bootstrap logic, where trying to fix problem, creates another issue because you were trying fix something else. Anything can happen once you introduce that.

I do agree the ending is to neatly wrapped up and I want to know more about Zelda's mom now like for a while ppl wanted to know about the last airbender Zuko's mother. Great moment with Zelda and Terrako, inspiring her and the Zelda lullaby. Her power of sealing happening. There are lot but those are the moments that come to mind.

As for the story of this game, I think it is great with Impa relationship with Zelda, Link and Terrako. More insight with Champions and their descendants. That was awesome. Other characters such Kaz Moshia and the great fairies, not in the story but were there for the ride, are interesting picks. I prefer the Monk over the Fairies I haven't played them too much and unlocked them pretty late in my game. The other characters who weren't in the story that much are Hetsu, Kohga, and the King. Honestly ppl might say Riju is the worst character, to me that goes to Hetsu. I want to like him but  most of his attacks doesn't move him all that much unless you mash his heavy attack to have him dash forward? I almost would of put Kohga there too along with Hetsu but I played with him more than the fairies and I get him and love his inclusions. The King is alright and not opposed to use him now and then.

My absolute fave characters to use in order are: Revali, Impa, Link, and Sidon. Those are my go to when I really want to tear things up.

I think that's about what I think of the game in broad details.

He makes some great points, but I'm still pretty firm that this started as canon, and then they decided to toss that away for a more...cinematic... experience. I can't see Nintendo being like "YEAH FUCK THE TIMELINE UP" after they've already released an official one. They needed elements in this game good winning over evil, people not dying, etc.  that keeping it canon could not provide.

Spoiler

I mean, even if you do want to call it canon, too much is different before Terrako's arrival. Link does not have the Master Sword, he has not been assigned as body guard OR Champion yet. He's just some knight that the King finally sees potential in in the FIRST mission, when Terrako arrives.

Yeah I am pretty firmly in the non-canon camp now. Exactly as you said, they ended up changing too much for it to fit very well.

Well I am in what I would call the post-post-game now, and I have some additional thoughts. Spoiler for the final unlockable character.

Spoiler

Calamity Ganon is incredibly fun to play as. The post-post game tough challenge battles are so far pretty fun, too. I got lulled into a false sense of security when most of the post game was not inherently challenging, but after unlocking Ganon it really upped the stakes.

Terrako meanwhile I think is just ok. Neat to play as a guardian but really, I prefer Link, Zelda, and Rhoam as go-tos. Zelda actually is surprisingly strong and fun.

I still stand by what I said that this incarnation of Calamity Ganon is weaker than BotW’s. He’s souped down in power from his form in BotW and his generically buff physique is kind of silly by comparison to the monstrosity of BotW. The latter was much more impressive to me precisely because it moved away from the Ganondorf archetype, which at the time was refreshing.

But story wise, it makes sense. A load screen statement says that this version is the result of Calamity Ganon absorbing Astor, so the result makes sense in context, and it makes more sense to be playing as this incarnation, frankly. So all in all I am happy with the direction the team went in.

You know what after watching more vid opinions of what is canon or not. I'm gonna go with canon.

Try to follow the logic, I am throwing here. So OoT split the timeline 3 ways and we have games base on those decisions. So what I want to ask is all those games in the downfall timeline, Child timeline and adult timeline. Are those games canon to the whole of the Zelda universe. Yes, it is of course so why would AoC like Oot that cause division in time not be canon?

That's what I want to propose, as it stands right now we know nothing about the sequel to BotW but all seem to point that this follows BotW. I guess what most would think about this theory of AoC not canon is that after the splits in OoT there were games to validate the canonicity and there is any game we know for now that will follow up AoC, right? It is my belief there doesn't need follow game. Despite what we know from BotW does not happen the same in AoC it is clear from the start of the game BotW is connected because of where Terrako first came from. The new world meant things happened differently, down another possibility that was apparent before we know Terrako even existed.

That's the crux in all of this is Terrako, he was there in BotW but it wasn't until we saw another perspective where this outcome was a possibility. So that is why I believe this is canon because of that, if do get game that follows up from AoC then we know for certain without out doubt that this game canon.

Spoiler

Ah, when the descendants champions went back to their own time, do think in BotW 2 they will remember their adventures and base on that will know how to beat Ganondorf because they beat a from of Ganon in the past. Plus, if they do remember when they get back to their current time is another reason AoC is canon. Also, if you noticed when you beat the blights in the divine beasts with the champions and the descendants, all the descendants say it was great to fight with Link again. Why say that? So that makes me think if they remember that going back to the past they will remember their fight with Calamity Ganon when they get back to their present.

16 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

You know what after watching more vid opinions of what is canon or not. I'm gonna go with canon.

Try to follow the logic, I am throwing here. So OoT split the timeline 3 ways and we have games base on those decisions. So what I want to ask is all those games in the downfall timeline, Child timeline and adult timeline. Are those games canon to the whole of the Zelda universe. Yes, it is of course so why would AoC like Oot that cause division in time not be canon?

That's what I want to propose, as it stands right now we know nothing about the sequel to BotW but all seem to point that this follows BotW. I guess what most would think about this theory of AoC not canon is that after the splits in OoT there were games to validate the canonicity and there is any game we know for now that will follow up AoC, right? It is my belief there doesn't need follow game. Despite what we know from BotW does not happen the same in AoC it is clear from the start of the game BotW is connected because of where Terrako first came from. The new world meant things happened differently, down another possibility that was apparent before we know Terrako even existed.

That's the crux in all of this is Terrako, he was there in BotW but it wasn't until we saw another perspective where this outcome was a possibility. So that is why I believe this is canon because of that, if do get game that follows up from AoC then we know for certain without out doubt that this game canon.

Reveal hidden contents

Ah, when the descendants champions went back to their own time, do think in BotW 2 they will remember their adventures and base on that will know how to beat Ganondorf because they beat a from of Ganon in the past. Plus, if they do remember when they get back to their current time is another reason AoC is canon. Also, if you noticed when you beat the blights in the divine beasts with the champions and the descendants, all the descendants say it was great to fight with Link again. Why say that? So that makes me think if they remember that going back to the past they will remember their fight with Calamity Ganon when they get back to their present.

Spoiler

Technically Terrako was NEVER in BotW. He jumps back in time when Calamity FIRST rises if I'm not mistaken. So he only jumped back like a few months. The scene that plays out basically shows the Calamity engulfing the castle when he dips out into the past, so he was never around for the non-memory parts of BotW.

Also, one thing, one BIG thing is.... this isn't a Zelda game. Not because Nintendo didn't make it, Capcom made Minish Cap. Or even that's different (looking at Four Swords and TFH). But this was never really classified as a Zelda game. It's a Hyrule Warriors game. Cadence of Hyrule is a Necrodancer game. They are spin-offs. 

Now, Nintendo DID say "experience Hyrule before BotW" but I mean, we also technically experienced Hyrule after TP with Crossbow Training... that was literally the premise Nintendo gave us when advertised. But that's not a Zelda game either. I don't even think they used the words 'prequel' or 'timeline' for AoC. Just that it shows events that happened before BotW. And since none of those events line up with the timeline of BotW memories... well, then this game ISN'T before BotW now is it? It's an alternate Hyrule and story. We jumped into other Hyrules in the first Hyrule Warriors, none of that was canon, why is this?

Finally, BotW is getting a sequel. From what Nintendo has already stated, a DIRECT sequel. Would they really have greenlit a canon prequel that alters SO much?

Personally, I'm waiting for a statement from Nintendo (post release) that this is canon and in the timeline. Or info from BotW2 that links directly to AoC (ex: one of the Future Champions mentioning SOMETHING that happened in the AoC alternate world/timeline).

I'm sorry but, stubborn as I am, there is too much difference with the very loose time travel to be a reason that AoC is canon.

22 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:
  Hide contents

Technically Terrako was NEVER in BotW. He jumps back in time when Calamity FIRST rises if I'm not mistaken.

You're right about everything after the above statement, that's not to say this statement just derails your whole point.

What I am getting at, you saw it in the demo. Terrrako awakens when Zelda sealing powers awakens. Obviously I am talking about when it happened in BotW, we saw how it awakened in AoC. That is what I mean that Terrako was in BotW, then he jump. That is what I am basing the canonicity, we never even knew while playing BotW that Terrako existed but we never had that perspective till now.

I know it's crazy to hang on to that detail in the moment and next it not a thing in BotW anymore but you add that fact and the descendent knowing Link makes me believe there possibility that AoC is canon. I know as mentioned before there's a lot more factors than what I pointed outnumber these not to be canon but I think it's worth thinking it might be despite that.

Finally, at the end of the day Nintendo are the ones that will state what it canon and what is not. I wholeheartedly agree with that but in the meanwhile is there any harm thinking otherwise that something is canon. I do not like speculation cause it once it spreads it goes wild and goes out of control but honestly, I feel what I brought is tame if this is canon, am I wrong in thinking so?