Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announced

8 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Finally started up the demo and put a few hours into it, and holy hell it's good.

Hide contents

Incorporating the rods AND runes for all characters? AND making some Runes different for each character? Phenomenal. Adding in Flurry Rush and character specials too, icing on the cake. Combat is fantastic in this one, they went all out. And I love how the map is set up and how you help out different areas with "quests" and missions is great.

I've gotten all 3 characters up to level 15 and am fleshing them out with some top weapons and buying up all the (what I'm assuming) rare items from vendors I can. Gonna be fully prepared for release.

Yeah, saw you yesterday playing the demo. Didn't think much of it but we are so close the release and I stand by wanting to feel fresh gameplay when I play this game for real.

Glad you confirmed what you may already know you were gonna experience with AoC.

14 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Yeah, saw you yesterday playing the demo. Didn't think much of it but we are so close the release and I stand by wanting to feel fresh gameplay when I play this game for real.

Glad you confirmed what you may already know you were gonna experience with AoC.

Yeah I put in another hour or two. You can only bring characters up to level 20, so I'm just gonna max them out. I waited until this week before I started so it's still all fresh and that release will just feel like a continuation albeit with some pretty grinded out characters and weapons.

I am dozens of hours into the game, and absolutely loving it. I am a little miffed that the story does not really seem to be canon (although I'm not done yet, they could turn things around) and I would've liked to see some of the cutscenes be the memories from BotW. I felt some of those were key moments that should not have been changed or left out.

Again, LOVE how everyone can use Runes and for the most part, all have character variant uses of each Rune as well. Absolutely love how the map is used with the Sidequests and Challenges. The DB missions are pretty fun too.

I'm clearing a chapter mission, then every single sidequest and challenge before moving on. I think I'm on Chapter 6 now? Unsure if all of Chapter 5 was done, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Spoiler town thoughts/progress, again up to end of Chapter 5 with full completion:

Antagonist

Spoiler

I love that Kohga is still a nut job, and his right hand Sooga is pretty badass. Unsure how I feel about Astor, especially as he's never referenced in BotW but he IS currently behind the scenes in everything so that still works. His design is a little too Yuga from ALBW for me, but it does fit the BotW aesthetic. Pretty tough when I fought him.

Playable Characters

Spoiler

Link is my main, obv. I still feel like this is "his" story, or at least his, Zelda, and Impa's. I was doing 1-handed sword most of the time, haven't used the Master Sword yet as I'm trying to get the best Seals for it. I've got a crazy good Halberd and Claymore for him. Love how many of his weapons they kept.

Impa is my 2nd main. She's a crazy badass and summoning her ninja spirits she can decimate shit. Love the design and her role, but wish they downplayed it a bit in some cutscenes, again just cuz canon. Unless Link just doesn't remember her being there...

Zelda is 3rd main. When you get used to the Sheikah Slate you can really cause a lot of damage. Especially since her regular attacks can count as counters to enemy charge attacks.

Mipha. I want to like her but I'm not getting good weapon seals and I struggle using her geyser. I do like that her WPS is the same a Ruto's from the other game.

Daruk. Takes some getting used to, and I really want to get the hang of using his magma ramps. It definitely helps to create a couple in an Outpost fight then BOOM.

Revali. Okay, I hate the guy, but you're supposed to right? But as a fighter, he's pretty hella. Being able to fight from low or high is a nice benefit and with different combos for each, awesome.

Urbosa. Fairly standard fighter, but the addition of the lightning gauge and attacks are nice. Pretty heavy hitter without sacrificing speed too.

Hestu. Super. Annoying. However... he's pretty strong... and I hate that because I hate him. Summoning a fleet of Koroks to help fight is awesome.

Story spoiler characters, in case you didn't heed my progress warning

Spoiler

Riju. I love her speed when rampaging Patricia. But... FUCK she's hard to control. Too erratic for me, likely will not use unless needed.

Teba. I thought he'd be a copy of Revali, and honestly upset they don't share a weapon pool, but he's really his own fighter. He can't soar and fight, but he's got better range and crowd control with his arrows. Need so put more time in with him I think.

Yunobu. Haven't tried him yet. Story doesn't force you to play as him during his reveal mission, and that was the last one I played.

Sidon. Reminds me of Urbosa, standard fighter with some heavy hits. I like that his special is timing your combo and then adding in some extra power to an attack if timed right.

Optional characters (not unlocked via story, but via sidequests)

Spoiler

Great Fairies. This one threw me right off. I wanna say they're slow, but I need to remember they're MASSIVE. Strong and slow with some decent range attacks, and each fairy having their own special attack is nice, knowing who does what can really help.

Maz Koshia. Another surprise. His attacks are very reminiscent of the fight you have with him in the BotW DLC, and he's quite powerful, especially using his enlarge form in a combo.

Story... don't really want to get into. Not there's a lot of beef or anything, but it's best to get it all for yourself. I will discuss anything specific if it's a part I've already passed.

Overall, they've made some nice changes from the last game, and I feel like it's got some phenomenal additions and changes to it.

I am enjoying it too but... yeah I am not sure how this story could be canon, either.

It is quite spectacular though in terms of presentation (music, horde battles, environment, all come together quite nicely). I suppose it helps that I only play handheld, as I hear frame rate dips a fair bit docked (have not verified this myself yet though). The voice acting has improved since BotW, IMO.

The optional characters are the bomb. My regulars though are Link, Urbosa and Revali. 

I’m also a bit overwhelmed by how much there is to do outside the main quest, although the power up quests are fairly repetitive.

In any case I think it’s a great game even if not everyone’s cup of tea. :)  

17 hours ago, DranSeasona said:

I am enjoying it too but... yeah I am not sure how this story could be canon, either.

It is quite spectacular though in terms of presentation (music, horde battles, environment, all come together quite nicely). I suppose it helps that I only play handheld, as I hear frame rate dips a fair bit docked (have not verified this myself yet though). The voice acting has improved since BotW, IMO.

The optional characters are the bomb. My regulars though are Link, Urbosa and Revali. 

I’m also a bit overwhelmed by how much there is to do outside the main quest, although the power up quests are fairly repetitive.

In any case I think it’s a great game even if not everyone’s cup of tea. :)  

I just finished up Chapter 6, I can't see the story reverting back to canon. I'm pretty upset that a few of the key memories/cutscenes from BotW are played out entirely differently here.

I have a theory though, only spoilers from like the very first mission

Spoiler

Alternate timeline. Since the Guardian went back into the past from a future where Calamity had risen and taken over (BotW present), it is now alternating the past that caused this original future and these are the events we are playing.

5 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

I just finished up Chapter 6, I can't see the story reverting back to canon. I'm pretty upset that a few of the key memories/cutscenes from BotW are played out entirely differently here.

I have a theory though, only spoilers from like the very first mission

Hide contents

Alternate timeline. Since the Guardian went back into the past from a future where Calamity had risen and taken over (BotW present), it is now alternating the past that caused this original future and these are the events we are playing.

Yeah I agree. IMO it affects certain character relationships negatively, too, which bugs me a bit.

I think that you’re right. It’s OoT all over again, of Nintendo adopts this into their canon. It makes me wonder if BotW2 follows BotW’s timeline or this one?

I came up with a Rupee-farm if any of y'all interested. I'll put it in spoilers, buuuut there's literally none.

Spoiler

Requirements

* Link

* 2 handed weapon

* Stable access to Zora salesman

Make things more efficient

* Cook 2 items

* Material Drop rate meals

* Material Drop rate seals

* Strong Attack seals

Go to training mission Link: Two-Handed Weapons. Cook yourself the best Material Drop meals you can. Equip a 2-handed weapon (mandatory anyways) with Material Drop rates or Strong Attack. Start the mission.

When it starts hold B to dash and use another finger to mash X, this is how you should be moving at all times. I also click in the L stick to enlarge map. Clear the right side of inside the training field then head out to the Captain. I switch up here and go ZR to down him. Don’t use WPS, too long.

When he’s down make your way left, attacking the whole time. Take out the Captain here. Smash crates if you want. Head South to final Captain. Once he’s dead go through the left side of training field clearing everything and getting Daruk to spawn. Use your special attack to down him quickly.

This takes me 1:30 in mission time and nets me at least 100 pieces of meat. Rack some up and sell it to the Travelling Zora Merchant (he’s pays extra)

Repeat

You guys have a few days ahead of me. My game was delivered on Monday and just made it to Chapter 4.

Spoiler

I don't think this not much of a spoiler if you played to the end of BotW. The first mission on Chapter 4 with Akala Citadel. Did you guys noticed something similar about interior  feel of the citadel compared to the barracks/dungeon of Hyrule castle? They are exactly the same, are they not? You could look at it as copy and paste from BotW castle interior for that section but I liken it to the castle was built first like that then the Citadel just modelled afterwards.

Spoiler

Out of all the character fights I like the most is Revali. He the most fun to fight, he's not to hard but keeps you on your toes. Love his battle theme and Mipha's too. Speaking of Mipha, up to now I don't think I like a Champion more than another but so far I love who Mipha is, tho I feel in BotW and here have not really elevate her more to say exactly that she's a great character. She just we are seeing more of what she is not who she is.

So far like the map, mission and the story so far. Also playing on hard.

Yes, I think they were going for a similar aesthetic with the citadel, @DLurkster.

Ok so I beat the game a couple nights ago and have been mulling it over a bit.

Spoiler

I think the ending is weak, IMO. Ganon was a disappointment compared to BotW, and honestly the happy ending for everyone doesn’t fit well with BotW’s direction. It didn’t feel like near insurmountable odds by the end, to me. And I don’t mean difficulty, I mean presentation. To me the game started off quite strong but in my opinion ended in a bit of a fizzle. And again, character relationships suffered as a result of how things played out: namely Revali to Link and Link/Zelda. The main exception though of course is Zelda and Rhoam, it was nice to see them reconcile.

The post-game has been fun but I have to wonder if Terrako will actually be worth the effort needed to get him, compared to the Great Fairies and Monk.

Oh well, in any case, I liked the game overall, but I do hope BotW2 follows BotW rather than AoC.

3 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

Yes, I think they were going for a similar aesthetic with the citadel, @DLurkster.

Ok so I beat the game a couple nights ago and have been mulling it over a bit.

Reveal hidden contents

I think the ending is weak, IMO. Ganon was a disappointment compared to BotW, and honestly the happy ending for everyone doesn’t fit well with BotW’s direction. It didn’t feel like near insurmountable odds by the end, to me. And I don’t mean difficulty, I mean presentation. To me the game started off quite strong but in my opinion ended in a bit of a fizzle. And again, character relationships suffered as a result of how things played out: namely Revali to Link and Link/Zelda. The main exception though of course is Zelda and Rhoam, it was nice to see them reconcile.

The post-game has been fun but I have to wonder if Terrako will actually be worth the effort needed to get him, compared to the Great Fairies and Monk.

Oh well, in any case, I liked the game overall, but I do hope BotW2 follows BotW rather than AoC.

Not reading the spoiler, but here's where I am if you can give me a progress status:

Spoiler

Chapter 7, got King Rhoam, next chapter mission is "All Hyrule, United" to retake castle. Haven't done it yet.

Hit me up with just a "how many story missions left" in a spoiler

Finished first mission of Chapter 7, have every Sidequest and Challenge completed. Farmed some Rupees and every character is at least Level 70.

I know I'm closing in on the end, hope there's some decent post-game as well I'd love to hear they're gonna drop some DLC for this and add some crazy stuff like they did with the other HW game.

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

Not reading the spoiler, but here's where I am if you can give me a progress status:

Reveal hidden contents

Chapter 7, got King Rhoam, next chapter mission is "All Hyrule, United" to retake castle. Haven't done it yet.

Hit me up with just a "how many story missions left" in a spoiler

Sure. :) 

Spoiler

You’re almost there! There’s 20 story missions total so you only have 2 more left. And at level 70 per character you’re more than prepared to beat it.

On 11/27/2020 at 1:25 PM, EH_STEVE said:

you just gotta

That's what I am doing, it may take time not like the the ones in the original HW but at least these ones are fun.

Speaking of side missions, did any of you complete, "In the clutches of the Yiga Clan" I can't for the life of me defeat Sooga, Kohga and whatever Yiga blademasters spawn up. Like it was easy enough to run to the destination the few times I made it there, I fought 2 Yiga blademasters and Sooga. I always run out of time to beat Sooga there but in one fight against the 2 Yiga blademasters, he did not show up despite him showing up halfway thru the corridors he always show up in. So when I beat the 2 Yiga blademasters at the designated destination and proceed to fight Kohga, Sooga and 2 Yiga blademaster show up like a minute into match with Kohga. Like I'm sure the Yiga blademasters are to appear with Kohga but I think because Sooga didn't show up at the designated, he is showing up with Kohga. These guys are easy if you manage accordingly but that is too much to juggle with 2 Yiga blademasters, Sooga, and Kohga. It's bad enough with just Kohga and Sooga, add in 2 blademaster and I can't juggle them all. Like I can beat the blademasters easily with 2 specials but they keep spawning back, which is a waste to tackle because of the time to beat Kohga and on hard some bosses are tanks to take down.

I've been using Impa because of how quick she attacks, she may not hit that hard but it great at set up moves with her clones, builds her specials fast because of that. Add in the fact when you stasis the weak point is even better to launch the weak launch special. Maybe I should use Revali, he's another go to for me to that hits hard and pretty fast as well. I play him too much and wanted to play as someone I don't play often from time to time, it was Impa's turn for this mission and it is not doing well for me right now.

What should I do?

Edited by DLurkster

I think the victory condition for that mission is just to kill Master Kohga, right? You could try just focusing on him even when the reinforcements appear. Save up some special meters (which shouldn't be hard with Impa) or let loose with magic rods to just burst down Kohga as quickly as possible.

3 hours ago, DranSeasona said:

What level is Impa at? At or slightly above the recommended level? And what level is Impa’s weapon at?

She currently at Lv.38 so he is level ahead of the recommended for the mission. I usually don't make level recommend deter me unless I am like 5 levels below. I believe before this post not the one I posted about Impa, she was Lv.36. I\m using the Devoted Kodachi as Lv.13 out of 20, overall strength 67 with perfect dodge +5% seal, and 2 damage at full +5% seals. I have 2 focus bars.

45 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

I think the victory condition for that mission is just to kill Master Kohga, right? You could try just focusing on him even when the reinforcements appear. Save up some special meters (which shouldn't be hard with Impa) or let loose with magic rods to just burst down Kohga as quickly as possible.

Easier said than done, I'm not sure because I'm playing on hard but either Sooga or Kohga are tanks and by almost times up I either get half of their hp down. So matter how I switch it up. I end up with the same results. There's just too many blademasters spawning for me to focus on let's say Kohga and all the while Sooga is showing off and destroying in the back ground. It's funny how the blademaster are not a problem on their own as I mentioned before but you put them with Kohga and Sooga and they make hard battle even more difficult to muster.

As for magic rods, I'm not sure while cruising thru the level if you can find magic rods but in making most of time to the end I managed to snag a few apples, tho never saw magic rods show up. They do provide with one fire rod at the start, I didn't even realized I had one not by accident but wanted to see if I can get that weak gauge to appear on Kohga but one is not enough when it doesn't last a long other weak gauges. Obviously the elemental weakness or burning grass exposes the long weak gauge that's all crackled. I don't even stasis those because they last so long.

After my last post I have tried with Revali and beat the 2 blademaster with one hit when I stasis them do my chain attack with Revali in the air where he summons a tornado, that triggers the powder keg near by and kills them both. I usually arrive in the designated area within a minute. They give you 5 minutes to get to the destination, took about 5 secs or less to beat the 2 blademasters. So what I didn't know since you are running to the destination, you can wait for Sooga to come to you in the room where beat the 2 blademaster or just go straight to Kohga, that's what I did the first time and why Sooga showed up with Kohga. So I stayed back to fight him with Revali and it is down to the wire and the guy has like 1 percent health left and times is up. As I said I am playing on hard so he's tank so the 4 minute and change is just widdling down his HP. Just gotta work smarter to kill him after and enough time to reach Kohga in time. If you make it to Kohga and die, you retry at Kohga instead of starting all over again. At that point they give 3 minutes everytime you retry. I really wonder if I managed to kill Sooga with enough time that maybe I can take down Kohga without the distraction that is Sooga during Kohga fight.

I'll keep trying but as of now I do not have access to Revail but I think his level is 40 so I will try and try again with Impa.