Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity announced

I got the demo a few hours ago and played basically, the first "level."

Graphics look damn close to BotW, color me impressed.

I liked the cut scenes and story intro for the set up to start of the game.

I heard in a GX video about the slowdown and choppiness in spots--I did experience that.  I was running portable when I played.  I would assume these kinds of issues will get worked out before the game drops. 

I really want to put some time in on the demo though as I am highly contemplating getting the game.

10 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I got the demo a few hours ago and played basically, the first "level."

Graphics look damn close to BotW, color me impressed.

I liked the cut scenes and story intro for the set up to start of the game.

I heard in a GX video about the slowdown and choppiness in spots--I did experience that.  I was running portable when I played.  I would assume these kinds of issues will get worked out before the game drops. 

I really want to put some time in on the demo though as I am highly contemplating getting the game.

I didn't experience any choppiness (via handheld mode), apart from the droid shaking whenever Link uses a bow and arrow. 

What spots did the choppiness occur in?

I am BEYOND impressed with how closely Age of Calamity replicates BOTW's art style and especially the UI. They probably lifted the UI elements directly. That was my only Switch game for a year and a half, so all the visuals really resonate with me.

The gameplay, though... not so much. I knew I wouldn't be into the hack-and-slash button mashing, but I feel like I must be missing something big. I didn't know what I was doing or what was expected. This is definitely not a Nintendo game--it doesn't have the clarity or responsive controls. Even walking around exploring (as the battle was raging on, somehow) didn't feel satisfying. Also, I've read that it recreates Hyrule 1:1 but I couldn't tell where anything was and I'm not sure if that was my headache, the blurry resolution, the new boundaries like short ridges everywhere, or the inability to see distant landscapes well.

I didn't notice issues with the frame rate, handheld or docked. It even seems to run at 60 sometimes, or maybe that's just cutscenes. Either way, I wish BOTW could do that.

@Destiny HeroYeah it is still a Warriors game, for sure. If you’re not into that kind of gameplay you would have a difficult time. But I still stand by my comment that it’s closer to a typical Zelda experience than Hyrule Warriors, and is worth at least trying to see if you can get into it. At least you tried. :) 

I didn’t really have any issues with responsiveness in the controls or “clarity”, as you put it, though. What in particular turned you off?

I haven't played the demo, just not to be spoiled on the gameplay but I have to concur with DranSeasona here from all that it shown so far seems like AoC wants to play more like BotW than a Warrior game. I would say it is sprinkles the Warrior feel in the way you attack. The missions, the world map and cutscenes all feel cut from BotW. The missions in AoC are akin like the sidequests in BotW.

I don't think Nintendo (the Zelda team) would work with Koei Tecmo to make Hyrule Warriors 2 if the game was gonna be mostly hacking and slashing. But to each their own with the opinion of gameplay of AoC.

Just thought to put that out there.

3 hours ago, DranSeasona said:

@Destiny HeroYeah it is still a Warriors game, for sure. If you’re not into that kind of gameplay you would have a difficult time. But I still stand by my comment that it’s closer to a typical Zelda experience than Hyrule Warriors, and is worth at least trying to see if you can get into it. At least you tried. :) 

I didn’t really have any issues with responsiveness in the controls or “clarity”, as you put it, though. What in particular turned you off?

Link feels very hard to control. I can't move his direction just a little bit, or the camera moves with him and he starts turning hard. Can't seem to run in a straight line either. BOTW encouraged going slow and taking in the world, but Link's walking is difficult to control precisely and the lowest speed doesn't match its animation. Attacks have very dubious hitboxes. Jittery camera and invisible boundaries made observing my surroundings very difficult. And the vast majority of enemies not actually having any consequence to the player was very bizarre in this setting.

I get that many of these are simply marks of a Warriors game, but at least for me, they conflicted too much with the spirit of BOTW. The world I was living in wasn't matching up with the game I was playing, if that makes sense. Most of these issues could've had tiny fixes that wouldn't compromise the Warriors half. I expected this to be "BOTW but with crazy combat", which it probably is to most people, but I would've appreciated being able to unwind for a moment between bouts. Overall the developers seem to have missed that BOTW's main appeal was that everyone could play it however they wanted. We have that here in combat, but not movement, and Nintendo puts a ton of care into how a player character moves.

@Destiny HeroHuh... Are you sure we were playing the same game? Lol I honestly didn’t experience any of that in terms of responsiveness, motion, camera, etc. It all just clicked with me. Maybe it just didn’t bother me because I found it pretty intuitive...

The only thing I agree with you on it seems is that it’s faster paced... but that should be expected since it’s a war. It wouldn’t make much sense to wander around too much like in BotW since it’s a totally different tone: pre-apocalypse dog fight for survival vs. post-apocalypse ruin. I think for what they’re going for, they’re pulling it off rather well. Of course I get if that’s not your cup of tea... but I would argue it’s not a result of the game being unpolished or anything.

To each their own, but I would suggest not treating this as intended as being BotW 2 before the real 2’s release, in terms of expectations. I’m sure the pure exploration vibe will be present in BotW 2 itself, if that’s what you are looking for specifically. To me this is “Zelda at war”, something we never see in the mainline series, since Link is always a one man army and everyone else pretty ineffectual. I find the change in tone a bit refreshing.

@DranSeasona I don't doubt that it feels fine to you! Again, the way I play and the experience I look for is a bit weird. I like small, nuanced movements and playing like it's me in the game--even little moments in a short pause can create that feeling. Being able to get close and personal with the world, even without branching off and exploring. So that's why the less precise/focused nature of Warriors gets in the way for me.

For comparison, it's like how in Fire Emblem you deal 21 damage and in Disgaea you deal 21837355 damage. One has a comforting clarity, while the other gives a bombastic show. They appeal to different audiences.

6 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

@DranSeasona I don't doubt that it feels fine to you! Again, the way I play and the experience I look for is a bit weird. I like small, nuanced movements and playing like it's me in the game--even little moments in a short pause can create that feeling. Being able to get close and personal with the world, even without branching off and exploring. So that's why the less precise/focused nature of Warriors gets in the way for me.

For comparison, it's like how in Fire Emblem you deal 21 damage and in Disgaea you deal 21837355 damage. One has a comforting clarity, while the other gives a bombastic show. They appeal to different audiences.

Ah ok now I see. Yes, to each their own, indeed. Again, good of you to try it, anyway. :) 

Man, I sort of wish the dates for Melody of Memory swapped dates with AoC. Off and on for the last 2 dates I kept thinking the game is coming out sooner. I want both games but I want AoC more.

Well the only way I can look at it is that after next week we will be that much closer to AoC, just gotta think like that.

Thanks for sticking with me as I struggle to explain my feelings for this game! As I get the hang of combat it's become more enjoyable. But I also get a headache because, between the resolution and often jittery camera, it's very difficult to get my bearings. The battlefields feel very broken up and difficult to navigate--especially the canyon. Thrown off more by not being able to traverse anything but barren ground even though it's BOTW, man. Just me?

It'd be fascinating to play through this side-by-side with BOTW. Right now there isn't a video on YouTube giving any single-screen side-by-sides of how locations have changed.

9 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

Thanks for sticking with me as I struggle to explain my feelings for this game! As I get the hang of combat it's become more enjoyable. But I also get a headache because, between the resolution and often jittery camera, it's very difficult to get my bearings. The battlefields feel very broken up and difficult to navigate--especially the canyon. Thrown off more by not being able to traverse anything but barren ground even though it's BOTW, man. Just me?

It'd be fascinating to play through this side-by-side with BOTW. Right now there isn't a video on YouTube giving any single-screen side-by-sides of how locations have changed.

I can't fault you for preferring and not expecting AoC to be BotW, just glad that you seem to be slightly getting used to what this game is. That is what this demo should do those interested in the Zelda series but haven't played Musou game before.

As for side by side comparison of BotW and AoC, a few pages back I posted this video from Gamexplain; here.

Finally started up the demo and put a few hours into it, and holy hell it's good.

Spoiler

Incorporating the rods AND runes for all characters? AND making some Runes different for each character? Phenomenal. Adding in Flurry Rush and character specials too, icing on the cake. Combat is fantastic in this one, they went all out. And I love how the map is set up and how you help out different areas with "quests" and missions is great.

I've gotten all 3 characters up to level 15 and am fleshing them out with some top weapons and buying up all the (what I'm assuming) rare items from vendors I can. Gonna be fully prepared for release.