Square Enix "committed" to releasing more Dragon Quest games overseas

Chrom

http://nintendoeverything.com/square-enix-committed-to-releasing-more-dragon-quest-games-overseas/

"2016 marks the 30th anniversary of Dragon Quest series. It’s not as well known in the West as we would like but it really plays an epoch making role in the console gaming history. If gamers were to 'discover' Dragon Quest now, they may be surprised to the sheer breadth of the universe, in terms of variety and depth. But they would also have instant access to something that has taken us 30 years to build. Dragon Quest Builders is definitely a great way of getting the feel of Dragon Quest while having great fun right from the start.

We’re committed to bringing more Dragon Quest titles in the West as we believe it truly has potential to succeed even better. So watch this space."

We're going to get Dragon Quest X, right?

I still want a re-release of DQ 1-3 for a modern system since we didn't get for Wii over here! :angrykong: I enjoyed Dragon Warrior on NES back in its day, albeit the play style would probably seem quite a bit outdated today; but I never had a chance to play 2 and 3 and wouldn't mind giving them all a whirl. I wonder if we'll ever see that. Then maybe I'll finally feel motivated to play DQ 4-9, all of which I have in some form but none of which I've played, lol. I actually did play DW4 on the NES but never finished it. I currently have DQ4 for DS and haven't touched it. :v

But yeah, I think that would be nice as the series seems to be popular enough in the west, at least among Nintendo fans, to justify bringing more entries here.

I am interested to see more Dragon Quest games make their way overseas, but at the same time I can't get too terribly excited about the notion. It's not like any of them will ever be as good as the NA release of DQ8. Orchestral soundtrack, brilliant voice acting, actual characters instead of bland 'make them yourself' party members. IMO DQ8 is the pinnacle of Dragon Quest. IX was a huge disappointment by comparison.

If this means we don't have to wait years for Dragon Quest XI to get localized, I couldn't be more happy with this statement.

I doubt it'll happen, but I'd love for the GBC Dragon Quest games to come to Virtual Console!

Edited by Deku

I wonder if there is a confirmed number of how well DQVII did since there was a thread on Gamefaqs that claimed it was only 35,000 for the whole month(doesn't include digital) though the game released in the latter half of Sept so who knows what the overall sale was of the game. I expect DQXI to release here for at least PS4 and 3DS, bonus for the Switch. Theatrhythm Dragon Quest would make me so happy but I would like some of the other Rocket Slime games since I very much enjoyed the first or whatever one it was that we got on the DS. Dragon Quest on the VC would be spectacular, especially if it happened on the 3DS since that way I could have the whole series on the go(would prefer the SNES versions since we never got them of 1-3 but the GBC versions would be fine as well).

7 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

Dragon Quest XI has a good chance I think, but Dragon Quest X or Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest are still long shots.

I'd rather get a Theatrhythm: SE 1990's or something like that (i.e. non-FF, non-DQ since they have their own TR titles). Man, the little taste they gave on Curtain Call made me really want that especially from Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, even though they didn't have anything from CC. But man, there were so many good games, with wonderful soundtracks back then that just didn't get a whole lot of advertising. I'm not really sure how I'd feel about the DQ game since I'm not all that familiar with the music so it might be really good as well. But damn there are a lot of games I can think of that they could take and put in just a mix type TR game with games from the SNES and PS1 eras, and maybe a few from the PS2 as well. Well, most of the games would be former Square games since I didn't play a whole hell of a lot of Enix games back then.

7 minutes ago, DivineTrinity said:

I guess that means Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is pretty much confirmed now.

Yes this so this. I so want Joker 3 and all the others I missed out on.

Word. I like the series so far. I'd love to be able to catch up on it.