Celebrate 35 Years of Super Mario Bros - Nintendo Direct

I have completed 4/6 mission for those SMB 35th anniversary pins, PO'd SM 3D All-Stars for pick up at EBGames, PO'd SM3DW + Bowser Fury for digital, PO'd the respective amiibo from BBY. I am interested in the MKL, tho I have carpeted living room, my basement is not and is quite spacious down there so I can't wait to PO that and the G&W SM system when they pop up. Also bought those Splatoon 2 SM 35th anniversary theme Splatfest shirts. Up in Canada both shirts came up to almost $100 total. (wtf?!?) They didn't have my sizes, one is one size too small and the other is one size too big, lol.

Yeah, I think that covers everything we know had price and when its available too.

@alienboyva: I was really hoping that wasn't the case with GC support with Sunshine in the 3D All-Star games. Like damn, Nintendo what are you thinking?!? You can play MK8DX with GC.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:50 PM, Ridley Prime said:

Since I always preferred the first Mario Galaxy over 2, I'm not upset at its exclusion like others are, but I do mourn the extra content of Super Mario 64 DS, which looks like it'll just stay on the DS. Going back to SM64 with only the original 120 stars doesn't feel like the full game to me anymore, but looks like that's what we're getting in the collection.

I also condemn the limited release thing, but it's nothing new for Nintendo. Metroid Prime Trilogy for Wii, etc.

Like Sunshine and how split fans feel about the game, I feel it is the same with SM64 DS. There something that are better to some and some that are worse so I'm surprise one would like the extra content from there. I would like to see artwork from 64 that never been seen in place of that for the upres the did only in that 3D All-Star.

Also, the debate what Zelda on 64 is better like which Galaxy is better all depends on preference per se but no SMG2 is not a lost is maddening to hear. I like SMG but SMG2 like Majora's Mask to OOT just adds more personality in it's varied gameplay. So yeah I'll accept the 3D All-Star and what it has to offer with its minor flaws but Nintendo missed out on putting SMG 2 on there big time.

Wow. I miss missions that don't require people to spend money. (Just an observation) It's obvious who their main audience is for it. I remember getting a pin for SMB 3, a $50 game, sure... but still less expensive than what they're requiring people to do for the above pins. Wish that one of them was included with 3d All Stars and the 3d World re release for old time sake.

Edited by Doc Brown
14 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Like Sunshine and how split fans feel about the game, I feel it is the same with SM64 DS. There something that are better to some and some that are worse so I'm surprise one would like the extra content from there. I would like to see artwork from 64 that never been seen in place of that for the upres the did only in that 3D All-Star.

I would think having more content for a collection would be a good thing. In an ideal situation, considering what is currently known, Super Mario 64 DS and Super Mario Galaxy 2 would make for great unlockables in this collection. I doubt either game will be there, but I don't see how additional content would hurt 3D All-Stars. Most of the criticism I've seen consistently given to 64 DS is that it wasn't playable off an analog stick due to the DS line only having d-pads. That problem would be gone on the Switch, so I would've much preferred to have the most modern version of Super Mario 64 in this collection if I had to chose. They should have both been included though. 

64 DS also has that selection of mini-games that I think would have elevated this collection quite a bit in itself as I think transitioning and adjusting those mini-games to the Switch might have resulted in an even better experience than those games were on the DS, especially for on the go, undocked sessions. 

31 minutes ago, IU said:

I would think having more content for a collection would be a good thing. In an ideal situation, considering what is currently known, Super Mario 64 DS and Super Mario Galaxy 2 would make for great unlockables in this collection. I doubt either game will be there, but I don't see how additional content would hurt 3D All-Stars. Most of the criticism I've seen consistently given to 64 DS is that it wasn't playable off an analog stick due to the DS line only having d-pads. That problem would be gone on the Switch, so I would've much preferred to have the most modern version of Super Mario 64 in this collection if I had to chose. They should have both been included though. 

64 DS also has that selection of mini-games that I think would have elevated this collection quite a bit in itself as I think transitioning and adjusting those mini-games to the Switch might have resulted in an even better experience than those games were on the DS, especially for on the go, undocked sessions. 

I do not disagree with more content so I am onboard for those mini-games but with a caveat tho. Mini-games are just Mini-games, some will like the callback value wise tho who have not played SM64 DS probably wouldn't know of these Mini-games and think what cheap offer. Just thinking aloud, I may not be speaking for all but is a possibility, yes?

That is why I specifically mentioned unreleased we never seen of these may be the better ticket of additional content and worth the extra value then Mini-games some may like and some don't know will just won't like it.

As for the d-pad to stick play on Switch, duh all would prefer that and is obvious positive but there was more criticism in SM64 DS besided the Mini-games and control methods of yesteryear.  

While I would have preferred Super Mario 64 DS as aforementioned, they'd have to do more to port it, while with vanilla SM64 they just needed an aspect ratio change and control modification, and bam.

Based off how this collection looks to be pretty much the bare minimum far as porting. SM64 DS also had some older Paper Mario characters like Goomboss that became a victim of quality control.

7 hours ago, DLurkster said:

As for the d-pad to stick play on Switch, duh all would prefer that and is obvious positive but there was more criticism in SM64 DS besided the Mini-games and control methods of yesteryear.  

What consistent criticism did 64 DS receive that was as significant of an issue as its controls? I have a hard time imagining someone that enjoys Mario would look at a collection with Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64 DS and think that the collection is brought down by the inclusion of Super Mario 64 DS. If someone hasn't played the game, the perceived value of the collection should increase not decrease. 

23 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

While I would have preferred Super Mario 64 DS as aforementioned, they'd have to do more to port it, while with vanilla SM64 they just needed an aspect ratio change and control modification, and bam.

Based off how this collection looks to be pretty much the bare minimum far as porting. SM64 DS also had some older Paper Mario characters like Goomboss that became a victim of quality control.

I wonder if they went this route due to Covid? Not that it's the case though.

Hmm this has me wondering. 

Edited by Doc Brown
15 hours ago, IU said:

What consistent criticism did 64 DS receive that was as significant of an issue as its controls? I have a hard time imagining someone that enjoys Mario would look at a collection with Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64 DS and think that the collection is brought down by the inclusion of Super Mario 64 DS. If someone hasn't played the game, the perceived value of the collection should increase not decrease. 

I'm not sure if anyone share this opinion but I honestly didn't like the segmented experience of the player unlocking one area for another character and how each character had their own power up. Personally I didn't like that, sue me. Other than that I like everything else about the game, the original levels and the mini games.

I would have been all over this if I didn't have an HDMI adapter for my Gamecube to enjoy Sunshine on a modern setup.

The limited availability and full price turned me off from this, though. I will be curious to see how the emulation is for 64 and Sunshine. This may bode well for future for seeing N64 or GC titles. Nintendo rarely ever touches Gamecube games but instead refit them into new engines.

I'll happily take Mario All-stars on the SNES. It's my preferred way to play SMB2 and SMB3.

• Chrom featured this topic

one thing i distinctly remember SM64 DS messing up the game's original scale a lot. like the characters were larger and you can get away with some real bs because of it.

i struggle to even remember any of the extra stars so it's hard to believe they weren't mostly filler. i liked the presence of extra characters, though.

3 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Luigi was OP as fuck in the DS version.

It was easier to break the game with Luigi than to take the cartridge out of your DS and smash it with a hammer.

Luigi is what puts Super Mario 64 DS over the top for me as I was curious as to what I could do with his backflip and most of the ideas I had were doable. The Chief Chilly level iirc could be nearly entirely skipped by using Luigi's backflip from near the beginning of the level. I like being able to do shortcuts in general in games, and Luigi made it simple with the right location. 

5 hours ago, IU said:

What game do you all plan to start with first in the collection? I'm in the mood for Super Mario Sunshine, and I'm a little curious how the game will feel away from a GCN controller. 

I think I'm gonna go in release order

though maybe Sunshine first because I might miss the long jump otherwise lol