Celebrate 35 Years of Super Mario Bros - Nintendo Direct

Super Mario Sunshine being able to be played on the go gives me an experience I have wanted since playing through Super Mario 64 DS. In that game, they added a new location called Sunshine Isles which featured one of the new star missions and was inspired by Super Mario Sunshine. Around a year later, Mario Kart DS came out with its retro cups featuring courses from Mario Kart Double Dash, which got me thinking that Nintendo might be able to bring Super Mario Sunshine or a similar themed 3D Mario experience to the DS in some form. For much of the DS's life span, I had that hypothetical release on my mind. It's exciting knowing that I'll have a portable experience with Sunshine in less than a week. 

So, NOA released a SM64 commercial for Super Mario 3DS All-Stars (video below) and it seems they removed the "So long-a Bowser" line when throwing Bowser off the stage and replaced it with the JPN line "Bye-Bye" (Bowser is named King Koopa in JPN, so they had to change this). :(  Now, this is going to drive me nuts, as it's frimley implanted in to my brain from playing the hell out of this back in the day. IDK if it was this way in the VC releases on Wii/Wii U (I don't own them) and I don't recall if it was like this in SM64DS (I haven't played it in forever). Though, looking up some clips, they did indeed replace the "So long-a Bowser" line with the JPN line "Bye-Bye in SM64DS. It makes me wonder why they did this? All I can think of is, because the line in the original western release sounds like "So long gay Bowser".

Yeah, it's kind of unfortunate they changed this, but it's not that big of a deal.

*Watch @ 0:18*

Edited by alienboyva
1 hour ago, alienboyva said:

So, NOA released a SM64 commercial for Super Mario 3DS All-Stars (video below) and it seems they removed the "So long-a Bowser" line when throwing Bowser off the stage and replaced it with the JPN line "Bye-Bye" (Bowser is named King Koopa in JPN, so they had to change this). :(  Now, this is going to drive me nuts, as it's frimley implanted in to my brain from playing the hell out of this back in the day. IDK if it was this way in the VC releases on Wii/Wii U (I don't own them) and I don't recall if it was like this in SM64DS (I haven't played it in forever). Though, looking up some clips, they did indeed replace the "So long-a Bowser" line with the JPN line "Bye-Bye in SM64DS. It makes me wonder why they did this? All I can think of is, because the line in the original western release sounds like "So long gay Bowser".

Yeah, it's kind of unfortunate they changed this, but it's not that big of a deal.

*Watch @ 0:18*

damn they actually scrubbed the gay bowser line from mario 64 that's fucked up

i guess you could say "so long" to gay bowser

Yeah, it's the Japanese re-release with English text.

That means no more backwards long jump, no more zero-star runs, no more building up speed for twelve hours to travel to a parallel universe and collect a star in only half an A-press, etc.

they used the same english voice lines in sunshine but i haven't seen that one closely i guess

not sure what you mean by this since backwards long jumping is inherent to sm64's physics system. it wouldn't have been patched out unless they capped backwards momentum.
the VC version of SM64 does the same thing. the glitches are possible in all N64 versions to my knowledge.

edit: just looked it up more closely and i guess they did just that lmao

Just wanted to show you AB, that this was discussed earlier in the thread as where and when the changed occurred and why they might of opted to used the patched version.

15 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Just wanted to show you AB, that this was discussed earlier in the thread as where and when the changed occurred and why they might of opted to used the patched version.

Oh, thanks.

Yeah, I've heard people talking about this before, but I thought people only mentioned it from seeing it in footage from the JPN version of SM3DAS. I just thought I'd mention it since it's confirmed to be in the western version of SM3DAS via the NA commercial. 

Edited by alienboyva
28 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

I think it’s silly that they’re not giving us recognition towards the pins for competing in the recent Mario Kart tour until September 29, but whatever... Anyone who has the mobile Mario Kart game want to friend up? :) 

Yeah, I thought that was odd. I guess they're waiting for the Super Mario Kart Tour in MKT to end (ends next Wed. 9/23) before giving credit for the misson...?

BTW, you only need to complete four missions + purchase SM3DAS to get the pins. So, you can just skip the MKT mission and still get the pins. I assume this is what most people will do, especially those that don't want to download MKT.

Edited by alienboyva
52 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Yeah, I thought that was odd. I guess they're waiting for the Super Mario Kart Tour in MKT to end (ends next Wed. 9/23) before giving credit for the misson...?

BTW, you only need to complete four missions + purchase SM3DAS to get the pins. So, you can just skip the MKT mission and still get the pins. I assume this is what most people will do, especially those that don't want to download MKT.

Oh really? Interesting that they have it as one of the missions then but I guess they want to promote MKT, too...

Apparently 3D All-Stars has already leaked, and there's a working Gamecube emulator inside it.

Dataminers and modders are currently working on dissecting it, but so far they've been able to get the following Gamecube games to run on the Switch:

Spoiler

*Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

*Mario Kart Double Dash

*Metroid Prime 1

*Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

*Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

*Luigi's Mansion

*Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest

*Soul Calibur 2

*Tales of Symphonia

*Star Fox Adventures

*F-Zero GX

*Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

*Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

More on the subject on the game in the 3D Collection are emulations. Knowing the work done is actually incredible. Like with Mario 64, there is real time asset swapping. Something about Galaxy actually having a hybrid approach. Some of these things got too technical for me, but I kinda can see how some of this stuff was done. Like I know how, but the finer details are lost on me. Something like Galaxy however, their methods are lost on me. But this can be big. Like either an N64 Online, or future ports of Gamecube and Wii titles. MPT, anyone?

Edited by avalonknight
30 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Apparently 3D All-Stars has already leaked, and there's a working Gamecube emulator inside it.

Dataminers and modders are currently working on dissecting it, but so far they've been able to get the following Gamecube games to run on the Switch:

Hide contents

*Mario Kart Double Dash

*Metroid Prime 1

*Luigi's Mansion

*Soul Calibur 2

*Tales of Symphonia

*Star Fox Adventures

*F-Zero GX

yo that's cool

still holding out for more consoles on the switch online lol

3 hours ago, alienboyva said:

Good to know. I haven't played MKT in months a year. I forget when this game came out again.

I was gonna wait till the cups open to tackle that tour. Still gonna go as far as I can, as I said it's been a while since I touched MKT.

37 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Hide contents

*Mario Kart Double Dash

*Metroid Prime 1

*Luigi's Mansion

*Soul Calibur 2

*Tales of Symphonia

*Star Fox Adventures

*F-Zero GX

The 4 games I want on Switch is MKDD, SA2B, Tales of Symphonia, and TTYD. I already own all game but lazy to boot up. I makes excuses to boot TTYD, love that game too much to be lazy.

Oof. Not as bad as "so long gay bowser" being removed/replaced, but still unnecessary. Also,

Still unsure of getting this collection personally myself, but if I do before the expired time, it'll probably be digital. Feel I can go either way though when I still have as good means of playing those games in their original form as I did before, and only go so far when it comes to double dipping with ports in general, Mario or otherwise.

Got my Splatoon theme SM t-shirts in the mail today.

The small black that I thought would be too small (the one I like more than the star one) is actually a snug fit that is not tight at all. It actually is a benefit to my body. I haven't tried the large mushroom yet.

I missed the PO for the Super Mario Game & Watch and Mario Kart Live Circuit Hom both on Amazon.ca. They both sold out with the hour they went up. I get it with the Super Mario Game & Watch but why MKLCH? They never said that was limited, tho as I said those were only at Amazon the other Mario products have shown in all retail place where these things sell. So I'll be more vigilant for those other place for Game & Watch and MKLCH.

20 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Oof. Not as bad as "so long gay bowser" being removed/replaced, but still unnecessary. Also,

Still unsure of getting this collection personally myself, but if I do before the expired time, it'll probably be digital. Feel I can go either way though when I still have as good means of playing those games in their original form as I did before, and only go so far when it comes to double dipping with ports in general, Mario or otherwise.

Oof glad I'm avoiding it for now. Sticking with my copy of Mario 64 DS and my Wii copy of Galaxy. Still have to get Sunshine though.

Man............. for the first time, in a long time, when the game releases to morrow I don't have a way to a) go over to BBY before work or b) during a early lunch to get my game in hand before all the craziness goes down at the store.  I have to wait till I get off work to go over there to pick it up which puts me in the just shy of 4pm time window and on top of that, I can't even really play till close to 6pm because of needing to get in a quick oil change before the auto shop closes at 5 and taking my mom to pick up her car from said auto shop as well.

I think I am dipping into Sunshine first though.