Nintendo Switch Trailer surpass Wii U install base in views

It's a official more folks watched the Nintendo Switch trailer then of those who actually own a Wii U console.

The trailer (highest viewed video on Nintendo of America YouTube account) is now sitting at 15 million views, 440,000 likes and 18,000 dislikes.

The Wii U is around 13 million consoles worldwide so to have a trailer of something that is 3 and half minutes in length, that is to come out next March viewed more times than the Wii U install base, speaks volume to the potential consumer who may be interested in this console.

Nintendo congratulation on this feat, let's hope this console is the success you hoped for.

Too be honest, I only watch the trailer about 5 times, which is a little more than many times I watch Nintendo directs I like over again. That Smash 50 fact extravaganza is the most rewatched direct ever.

But yeah, the number is skewed per person viewing and who to say that ppl watching are hype even looking at the likes and dislike really but this is still monumental with number of eyes watched and the Wii U install base.

2 hours ago, DLurkster said:

But yeah, the number is skewed per person viewing and who to say that ppl watching are hype even looking at the likes and dislike really but this is still monumental with number of eyes watched and the Wii U install base.

57 minutes ago, Stopdoor said:

I dunno if comparisons between viewer count and install base are that valid, but cool I guess.

I just said that. Making awareness of this isn't a direct correlation but the potential this holds even if the views are skewed is still something to think about. Regardless, it is Nintendo's most viewed video on YouTube.

There were a lot of people switched off of Nintendo this last generation, especially in regards to the Wii U, so I think many were just ready to see what's next from Nintendo. Judging by the likes the preview has received, I'm not alone in thinking that Nintendo may have a potential hit on their hands and, with it being a functional console and handheld, will see all of their dedicated gaming efforts. The Switch is where we would be seeing the next mainline Pokémon game after Sun and Moon, Gen. VIII, while also being the system where Metroid fans could see the first HD Metroid Prime game. It's an all-in-one from the looks of it, and in terms of what it can do and where it can go, the Switch is quite a social system as well. I am, and apparently so are many others, very excited about what Nintendo can do with all their efforts put into it and excited to see what 3rd parties will support the system with if it happens to really take off. My excitement might be a bit misplaced, but I honestly am feeling the way I did back in 2004 and then again in 2006 with the upcoming Nintendo DS and Wii respectively. Nintendo could be about to capture lightning in a bottle for a third time.

Edited by IUniverse
6 hours ago, IUniverse said:

Nintendo could be about to capture lightning in a bottle for a third time.

Oh then what was the First Time if the Wii was the Second Time? The SNES? The NES? The N64? The GCN? Because I remember the NES and SNES were the most successful consoles of their generations. I can agree that the N64 and GCN were not the most successful in their generations, but the Wii was Lightning in a bottle thou. This would make Nintendo's 4th time catching Lightning in a bottle home console wise. First time Hybrid wise.

Edited by EZLO21
Thought of something after the original post was done.
5 minutes ago, EZLO21 said:

Because I remember the NES and SNES were the most successful consoles of their generations.

Maybe @IUniverse was implying that Nintendo never let the lightning out of the bottle during that period? :P

It's a shame that the Nintendo 64 and GameCube eras were Nintendo's some of Nintendo's most unsuccessful times. Those were/are my two favourite gaming consoles and I'd love to have more of what they had on offer. Fortunately, it looks like the Switch may very well be able to deliver in that regard.

Really hoping that Nintendo can capture both their "core" and casual audiences early next year. Regardless, we'll be watching closely, that's for sure.

1 minute ago, Kodiack said:

Maybe @IUniverse was implying that Nintendo never let the lightning out of the bottle during that period? :P

It's a shame that the Nintendo 64 and GameCube eras were Nintendo's some of Nintendo's most unsuccessful times. Those were/are my two favourite gaming consoles and I'd love to have more of what they had on offer. Fortunately, it looks like the Switch may very well be able to deliver in that regard.

Really hoping that Nintendo can capture both their "core" and casual audiences early next year. Regardless, we'll be watching closely, that's for sure.

Maybe, but it still begged the question that I asked the way it was applied too thou.

Just now, EZLO21 said:

Maybe, but it still begged the question that I asked the way it was applied too thou.

Actually, rereading his post, I think he was just talking about his personal hype for the Wii and DS, heh. 

It'd be crazy to say that Nintendo has just had one or two successes, especially when you look at the handheld market. Nintendo's had continual success with the NES, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, DS, Wii, etc. It's primarily the N64, GCN, and a few other consoles and handhelds that didn't quite live up to their expectations.

Oh, and there's also Virtual Boy. But we don't talk about that...

3 minutes ago, Kodiack said:

Actually, rereading his post, I think he was just talking about his personal hype for the Wii and DS, heh. 

It'd be crazy to say that Nintendo has just had one or two successes, especially when you look at the handheld market. Nintendo's had continual success with the NES, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, DS, Wii, etc. It's primarily the N64, GCN, and a few other consoles and handhelds that didn't quite live up to their expectations.

Oh, and there's also Virtual Boy. But we don't talk about that...

Oh I know don't get me wrong again it was just how it seems to be implied that makes it seem otherwise.

9 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I just said that. Making awareness of this isn't a direct correlation but the potential this holds even if the views are skewed is still something to think about. Regardless, it is Nintendo's most viewed video on YouTube.

Yeah, I'm just saying "monumental" seems a bit hyperbolic, I guess. I kind of just expect the trailer to rival other recent reveals or Nintendo is doing a bad job. Youtube viewership while good, is kind of "flaky", so it seems a bit early to get excited. But I hope it pans out, yeah.

Edited by Stopdoor
4 hours ago, Kodiack said:

That, and I think both the DS and the Wii are Nintendo's most successful systems, if I'm not mistaken. I do think the Switch has the potential to not just soar next to what is currently offered by Sony and Microsoft, in sales terms, but I also think it could be another sales behemoth in the same realm as the DS and the Wii in regards to Nintendo's own successes. That's what I was meaning by catching lightning in a bottle for a third time. They've had other successes beyond the Wii and DS, but with the Switch, a combo of Nintendo's console and more importantly handheld efforts, I think it can be the surprise of this current generation and set a new bar for the level of success Nintendo can have with their own systems.

Edited by IUniverse
3 hours ago, Stopdoor said:

Yeah, I'm just saying "monumental" seems a bit hyperbolic, I guess. I kind of just expect the trailer to rival other recent reveals or Nintendo is doing a bad job. Youtube viewership while good, is kind of "flaky", so it seems a bit early to get excited. But I hope it pans out, yeah.

Hope is the hyperbole here with the overall success Switch but for me it's the potential of the views that could translate to a movement in progress for Nintendo in good way, perhaps.

25 minutes ago, Punchy said:

Youtube views don't mean anything in the larger picture. Even if every view turned into a sale, the Switch would fall in line with WiiU. That's not a success.

Explain this and how much more views would be consider more install base than the Wii U? Like I get the views are skewed but I still think it means a larger movement is happening that ppl aren't really looking at here.

6 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Explain this and how much more views would be consider more install base than the Wii U? Like I get the views are skewed but I still think it means a larger movement is happening that ppl aren't really looking at here.

Examples: Snakes on a Plane- Huge buzz after the trailer at Comicon. Movie flopped. Green Lantern- Last trailer was well liked on Youtube and raved about on Comicon; Movie Tanked. The latest CoD trailer has a huge negative ratio to likes. Does that mean suddenly people aren't going to buy CoD by the millions? C'mon it's CoD.

People could have watched the Switch trailer and said, "Nope, this thing is not for me." The Switch trailer getting 11 million views means just that, 11 million people watched it. I wouldn't put any stock into it beyond that. We don't know the breakdown of  what people's views are after seeing it. The one true measurement will be sales after the hype. What numbers is it doing in July or August? What are people's feeling when they find out the hardware is sub-Xbone? How are their feelings towards buying this knowing they might get 3 hours of use when on the go?

Ya'll getting worked up over YouTube views. YouTube Views! Sure it shows a lot of people watched it, there might even been interest or curiosity, but interest and curiosity don't mean shit till people plunk down the $$$ to buy this thing.

Edited by Punchy

I think this video was a knock-out. People that I know don't follow video games were asking me about it over the weekend. My sister, who has no general interest in video games, knew about it and wanted one. If Nintendo can satisfy people's questions over the next few months and hit a sweetspot with the MSRP, they could have a hit on their hands that may rival the Wii (or at least the DS).

15 hours ago, Punchy said:

Examples: Snakes on a Plane- Huge buzz after the trailer at Comicon. Movie flopped. Green Lantern- Last trailer was well liked on Youtube and raved about on Comicon; Movie Tanked. The latest CoD trailer has a huge negative ratio to likes. Does that mean suddenly people aren't going to buy CoD by the millions? C'mon it's CoD.

People could have watched the Switch trailer and said, "Nope, this thing is not for me." The Switch trailer getting 11 million views means just that, 11 million people watched it. I wouldn't put any stock into it beyond that. We don't know the breakdown of  what people's views are after seeing it. The one true measurement will be sales after the hype. What numbers is it doing in July or August? What are people's feeling when they find out the hardware is sub-Xbone? How are their feelings towards buying this knowing they might get 3 hours of use when on the go?

Ya'll getting worked up over YouTube views. YouTube Views! Sure it shows a lot of people watched it, there might even been interest or curiosity, but interest and curiosity don't mean shit till people plunk down the $$$ to buy this thing.

Does it really matter though if it's, "sub-Xbone?"  Does a console really need to be super powerful, or does it jusy need to be powerful enough?  The Wii and Wii U were not powerful enough.  The Xbone is powerful enough, and dare I say, sub-Xbone could be as well.  The PS1 was far less powerful than the N64, and it still kicked the N64's ass.  The PS2 was less powerful than both the Gamecube and the OG Xbox and it most certainly won that generation.  Hell, the Wii wasn't even powerful enough and the PS3 was super powerful for its time and for a while the Wii was on top and the PS3 was down below.

The PS4 is the first time since the SNES that the most powerful console won a generation.

Also, don't you think three hours is a bit of... an exaggeration?  And even if it is only three hours, does it really matter that much when people bring their chargers with them everywhere anyways?  I don't think most people are far from an outlet for more than three hours unless they're on a road trip or something.

The last time I really gave a shit about battery life was before the GBA SP.  (Okay, TBH, my phone has bothered me a few times with its battery but that's really only when I can only use my friend's tiny ass charger.)

Edited by Yehu Bihdi