Tazmily Village - N4A Chat Thread - September 2020

April

I beat Final Fantasy X. 

My least favorite Final Fantasy... On my Top 100!  Psyche!  

But, honestly, even with the new gripes I have with this game along with older nitpicks, it's not as terrible as I thought it was going to be. It is a really audiovisual spectacle, and the world-building and lore is some of the best in the series. And, the combat is a lot more solid than I would've figured. You deserve a bit more love, FFX, even though your minigames can burn in a fire. I think FFVII arguably has the best minigames of the series ever. You may be a black sheep of the series, Mr. FFX, but underneath your wool is a still fluffy and comfy interior. 

I actually really liked XII in particular, when I got around to playing it on Switch. It felt much shorter than other mainline FF games, though. Usually I wouldn’t complain about that but I felt particularly engaged in that story/world and wished they had fleshed it out a bit more.

Honestly I think as a general series feel though I prefer Dragon Quest. Just overall more interesting to me. I guess I’m a sucker for the chosen pure hearted hero trope. :P 

7 hours ago, ace said:

More love...? Black sheep of the series...?

You do know that FFX is considered one of the better ones right?

I said "may be". I'm really horrible at public reception or whatever. I thought there were a lot of people who make fun of this game or didn't like it. It all started with a YouTuber has gone really downhill with their audience. 

My rankings of the games I've played, including Tactics:  

10. III

9. V 

8. Tactics

7. XIV RR (Base game)

6. X

5. IV

4. I

3. IX

2. VI

1. VII 

I will not play II and VIII.  

43 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

Honestly I think as a general series feel though I prefer Dragon Quest. Just overall more interesting to me. I guess I’m a sucker for the chosen pure hearted hero trope. :P 

I'm not a "huge" fan of the series, but I did beat III, IV, V, and VIII. VIII is my favorite so far, but that could change when I play XI. 

I think after ending my main series rush on both series, I'll stop playing RPGs for a while. But, there are the two Tales games I have (Symphonia and Vesperia), Illusion of Gaia, Earthbound, Wild Arms, Suikoden II, Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Super Mario RPG, Ni No Kune, and Phantasy Star IV that I want to eventually conquer. Maybe the third Mana game. With the SaGa collection or whatever coming out, I might play some of those games to see what I've missed out on. And, perhaps the Shin Megami Tensei games that aren't Persona when III gets remastered. Can anyone say anything on the Ys and Langrisser series? And even though it might be silly to ask this too, Breath of Fire? I'm looking for RPGs that tend to get overlooked because they're not the big ones. Any suggestions?

I think I enjoyed most FF games. Yes, even XIII. I didn't play the MMORPGs, NES era is generally hard to get into but fun nostalgia trips, and I have more issues with VII and X than most do (namely VII hasn't aged well and X's rock-paper-scissors combat gets kind of dull). But VI and IX really do standout as the high points of the series for me; I really wish VI got a definitive port because the biggest reason I'll never go back to that game is because I can never decide to replay the SNES or GBA version kcry;

12 minutes ago, Edie Napier said:

I adore FFXIV but ARR is frankly dry as Hell and not very good.  Heavensward and Shadowbringers are incredibly good though. y;

I heard all three expansions are really amazing. I just have other stuff I want to do, and don't want to be one of THOSE players. I'm just spacing my time with that game, so I don't become too addicted. 

4 minutes ago, Zora said:

...And I have more issues with VII and X than most do (namely VII hasn't aged well and X's rock-paper-scissors combat gets kind of dull). 

...I really wish VI got a definitive port because the biggest reason I'll never go back to that game is because I can never decide to replay the SNES or GBA version kcry;

I agree VII hasn't aged well, but as someone who got back into it after two decades when it came out, I appreciate what it meant to me. It was one of the first RPGs I played as a kid, since I missed out on the SNES era, and was a PSX guy. That's why I hold VII over VI more. Although, VI does a lot more things better than VII, I concede. I played most of the other games in the series before it, I-VI, in the numbered order before I got back to VII to see their merits and what I missed out on when I wasn't born. I played the GBA remakes of I and V, the DS remakes of III and IV, and original SNES VI on the Wii. As for VII, I played it on the Nintendo Switch rather than any of the PS consoles, and the new "features" made the original game a lot easier to get through. But, I know my experience of venturing into the series is not the same as everyone else's, so what VII did for me is not the whole picture.            

BUT, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. We do NOT want the mobile and Steam versions! Despite some of the bugs and translation, the original VI is still fun to play. The GBA version does have more content, but the style and music has changed for the worse, and one of the most iconic moments of that game, the opera scene, is sadly worse for that translation. And, everyone gave more praise to the original version because it was one of the RPGs on that system. Not much people talk about the GBA version in the same way. I played I on the GBA because the original is a little rough and I did not want to buy a PSP again just for one game, and V on the GBA because it is one of the only official ways to play it, and is the best official version. Though, that's just me.

1 hour ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:I will not play II and VIII.  

I'm not a "huge" fan of the series, but I did beat III, IV, V, and VIII. VIII is my favorite so far, but that could change when I play XI. 

I think after ending my main series rush on both series, I'll stop playing RPGs for a while. But, there are the two Tales games I have (Symphonia and Vesperia), Illusion of Gaia, Earthbound, Wild Arms, Suikoden II, Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Super Mario RPG, Ni No Kune, and Phantasy Star IV that I want to eventually conquer. Maybe the third Mana game. With the SaGa collection or whatever coming out, I might play some of those games to see what I've missed out on. And, perhaps the Shin Megami Tensei games that aren't Persona when III gets remastered. Can anyone say anything on the Ys and Langrisser series? And even though it might be silly to ask this too, Breath of Fire? I'm looking for RPGs that tend to get overlooked because they're not the big ones. Any suggestions?

DQVIII is very good but in my opinion, the plot of XI is just more interesting, mostly because the characters all get a bit fleshed out more than in VIII.

For the Ys series, so far I have only played Ys VIII, but I really enjoyed that one. Particularly they did one of my least favourite tropes very well, and the plot overall was quite unique and engaging. It does suffer from a bit of a lack of focus in the first arc, but it all pans out in the end! If Ys IX is anything similar, I probably would like it, too.

As much as I love VI for it's characters, story, and music, but the actual gameplay is kind of balls.

*Magic rapes everything; physical attacks are basically useless

*Leveling up in the early game hurts you in the long run since you can't gain stat boosts from Espers

*Personal skills range from useless (Celes's Runic; Cyan's Bushido) to ridiculously OP (Terra's Trance; Gau's Rages)

V is my favorite.