Mineral Town - N4A Chat Thread - August 2020

Spring

The old illustrations for Harvest Moon are cute. A shame they couldn't keep that style.

Playing Mario Tennis Open and Mario Golf World Tour kind of bums me out, because I feel like I missed out on not getting these games much earlier. The online is no longer active, and I could see myself putting in some considerate time into these games over time.

@Doc Brown Don't be shy of using a guide for Dragon Quest 2. The game at some point requires you to collect some mcguffins without any direction. y;

53 minutes ago, Youngster Joey said:

The old illustrations for Harvest Moon are cute. A shame they couldn't keep that style.

Playing Mario Tennis Open and Mario Golf World Tour kind of bums me out, because I feel like I missed out on not getting these games much earlier. The online is no longer active, and I could see myself putting in some considerate time into these games over time.

@Doc Brown Don't be shy of using a guide for Dragon Quest 2. The game at some point requires you to collect some mcguffins without any direction. y;

Thanks for the heads up, Joey. :)

14 hours ago, Pichi said:

DQ3 US manual literally had an entire game guide in it lmao
so yeah def don't feel bad looking anything up

Some of DQ3 is straightforward so far but yeah, some it it is completely random, too.

I was thinking of getting DQ2 as well and that would bring my total of DQ games played up to 9 (no 5 or 10, obviously for the latter). :) 

2 hours ago, DranSeasona said:

Some of DQ3 is straightforward so far but yeah, some it it is completely random, too.

I was thinking of getting DQ2 as well and that would bring my total of DQ games played up to 9 (no 5 or 10, obviously for the latter). :) 

the only thing i personally had to look up was one of the orb locations, although i was very close to doing it with a few other things
i also fought the not-japan dragon right after getting the ship lmao. refused to give up even though i knew i was probably doing it too early

Edited by Pichi

I think the best part of Origami King actually being a really good game is how it's also forcing people to be retrospective on the first two games and realizing that those games had a handful of problems and made people think a bit more about what they were playing these games for.  Color Splash for its massive problems was still a mostly good videogame. y;

Sticker Star is still complete garbage though

People always lamented the loss of the old battle system and partners in the later games (and Sticker Star/Color Splash's are hot trash in that aspect to be fair) but I'm not going to pretend that the first two games weren't extremely simple entry-level RPGs.  They were functional and unintrusive but they weren't what I played the games for.  The original PM felt very simple for what it was, and while TTYD built on it, the game was uhhhh 'economic' in its use of its small environments (IT HAD A LOT OF TEDIOUS RETREADING AND BACKTRACKING).

Color Splash was so close to being a really good game otherwise if the combat system didn't somehow manage to make itself even worse than Sticker Star.

yeah, that's the obvious problem here. RPG battles aren't necessary, but mario RPG battles have always been really entertaining.
even if pape has the least depth of any mario RPG series, replacing them with bland stuff for the sake of being different makes no sense.
what always made the games stand out for me was its dives into fun characterization and care/detail put into the world.
that's something completely separate from any genre trapping,s but since basically everything else good went out along with the battle system for sticker star, it's not really a surprise that people just clamor for a return to the old design.
also i'm still kinda salty about the revelation that nintendo really has been preventing them from being creative with mario character design.
in freakin Toad Town alone, PM64 has 23 different NPC designs, not counting recolors.

Spoiler

image.png.2180bc61ebfb288f92ec949d3e208003.png

image.png.9bd2aad56d09ee94ec685a5539c7dbfa.png

just a single building that serves no purpose for game progression

they've always been so good at it. why would you throw that away? psyduck;

Edited by Pichi
17 hours ago, skycandy said:

i miss the spin in paper mario

more games need fun travel options

I mean FAX travel. The name alone is worth it, despite it not being overly functional.

11 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

South Park: The Stick of Truth is a great Paper Mario game.

Both South Park games are VERY good.