I've just received a package from my uncle.

Tyranogre

My uncle was riding a bike through Phoenix and took shelter in an air-conditioned store, where he came across a box of old games and anime DVDs that he thought I could either keep, or re-distribute among fellow weebs and gamers. Some of this is stuff that I either already have, or am otherwise curious about.

EeTYLubU4AAYfEM?format=jpg&name=large

PC version of FF7, which I already have on my PSP.

EeTYLucUYAEONLR?format=jpg&name=large

Already have Cowboy Bebop and Spirits Within.

EeTYLubVAAEYulg?format=jpg&name=medium

Any of these Street Fighter movies the one with naked Chun-Li?

EeTYLubUMAAHyiL?format=jpg&name=large

Never heard of any of this stuff.

EeTYd0tUwAAmSRl?format=jpg&name=large

Already have FFX. Curious about the PS2 version of DQ8, as I've heard that the 3DS version is censored. Vaguely familiar with Dot Hack thanks to Project X Zone, but these are the second, third, and fourth games, with no sign of the first. Don't think *Japanese words* IIDX 3rd style will work on an American PS2. DDR didn't come with the dance pad.

EeTYd0rVoAATH1d?format=jpg&name=medium

Already have Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube, not to mention the Switch version coming out next month.

EeTYd0tUYAA5yYw?format=jpg&name=large

These are VHS tapes. Do they even make VCRs anymore...?

Is any of this stuff any good? And if not, is it at least worth anything?

11 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Any of these Street Fighter movies the one with naked Chun-Li?

Nope, that's Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie. Good stuff; and that scene with Chun-Li leads into her fight with Vega, which is pretty awesome. She throws a couch at him

12 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Never heard of any of this stuff.

Looks like an individual volume of Rune Solider in there. From the guy who made Record of Lodoss War, it's a parody of fantasy and D&D style adventures. If you don't mind adventure-of-the-week style storytelling and a fairly stupid title character in Louie, there's some entertainment value to be had there. 

Street Fighter II V!  Okay, the animation is certainly a product of its time as is the dubbing (not too bad, but still) but it's actually a pretty good adaptation of the games into a serial anime.  Krazy and I watched through the entire thing years ago (I think he rented them from our local library at the time) and thought it was pretty good.  Not gonna spoil too much, but there's a Ken vs. Vega fight that is pretty legit.

Ooh, you got that Rurouni Kenshin and Custom Robo! Still need to finish Kenshin. Custom Robo was pretty fun. Gauntlet brings back memories as well.

3 hours ago, Kezay said:

Street Fighter II V!  Okay, the animation is certainly a product of its time as is the dubbing (not too bad, but still) but it's actually a pretty good adaptation of the games into a serial anime.  Krazy and I watched through the entire thing years ago (I think he rented them from our local library at the time) and thought it was pretty good.  Not gonna spoil too much, but there's a Ken vs. Vega fight that is pretty legit.

That was another one of our YouTube anime back in the day.

• Chrom featured this topic
On 7/31/2020 at 8:17 PM, Tyranogre said:

Curious about the PS2 version of DQ8, as I've heard that the 3DS version is censored. Vaguely familiar with Dot Hack thanks to Project X Zone, but these are the second, third, and fourth games, with no sign of the first. Don't think *Japanese words* IIDX 3rd style will work on an American PS2. DDR didn't come with the dance pad.

If you want to help a friend, I'm in need of the third .hack game. y;

Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS is only censored in there's very minor costume changes for Jessica. The 3DS version offers plenty of QOL improvements including non-random encounters, faster battle speed options, new party members, and faster loading times over the PS2. The PS2 original does feature the symphonic soundtrack and is still a fine way of experiencing DQ8.

23 minutes ago, Youngster Joey said:

If you want to help a friend, I'm in need of the third .hack game. y;

Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS is only censored in there's very minor costume changes for Jessica. The 3DS version offers plenty of QOL improvements including non-random encounters, faster battle speed options, new party members, and faster loading times over the PS2. The PS2 original does feature the symphonic soundtrack and is still a fine way of experiencing DQ8.

Assuming the .hack set isn’t already worthless without the first game, how difficult would it be to sell the second and fourth games without the third?

10 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Assuming the .hack set isn’t already worthless without the first game, how difficult would it be to sell the second and fourth games without the third?

From what I've seen online, most resellers sell the games individually. Part 4: Quarantine seems to fetch the highest price. The bundles that I seen included Part 1 (like a bundle of parts 1, 2, and 3.)

• 2 weeks later...

Real talk

Can someone give me a disc breakdown on those Initial D dvds?

I want to get the series and how its packaged on amazon is kind of confusing to me.  As I recall, from when I rented some episodes at Blockbuster video back in the day and got quite a few episodes in.

Is it "seasons" based or "stages" like the box art and listings imply.  IMDB didn't really clear anything up for me either in that regard.

Is there a Region 1 BR set for the series?  If not I could entertain dvd.  I see they have also done one live action movie(I've seen that too).  But it appears they have come back to the series later and some some animated movies in a trilogy for the material.