Ninjala - Ninja-Gum Battle Action! (Free-to-Play) | 🦔Sonic the Hedgehog collab: SOON!

Xg7MRps.png

Release Date: June 24th

Site: https://ninjalathegame.com/en/

Price: FREE (In-App Purchases)

KM2HA4x.png 

Online Manual

InlBQrR.png

Spoiler

Yls0SEa.png

An online action battle game featuring ninja and gum! Assume the role of a modern-day ninja and take part in the Ninjala tournament!

Ninja-Gum
Use Ninja-Gum to blow bubbles that can be tossed at your foes, craft all sorts of weapons, and dash across stages.
The appearance and variety of your weapon will vary depending on the type of Ninja-Gum you use.

Competitive Player
Take part in Battle Royale-style matches of up to 8 players and vie for supremacy with ninja around the world. The player who earns the most points over the course of the match will be declared the winner. Score points by defeating your opponents, obtaining items, destroying drones positioned across the stage, and more. Earn extra points by taking down your opponents with an IPPON—impressive finishing techniques.

Cooperative Play
Join up with friends and take part in a 4-on-4 team battle. Cooperate with your teammates and earn more points than the opposing team to be declared the winner.

A colorful variety of costumes and accessories from an array of unique fashion brands are available. Choose from a wide variety of avatar items which can be combined as you see fit. You can stick to one brand for a consistent look, or mix and match to create a style all your own!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anyone download this and/or participate in any of the betas?

I'm still kind of on the fence about this and wondering if it's any good. I love how heavily inspired by Splatoon this is and this looks like it could be a ton of fun, but IDK. Maybe I just need to download it and give it a shot? 

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to Ninjala - Ninja Gum Battle Action! | *Available Now! (Free-to-Play)*

I participated in both betas. The first was a was as I seen no action but 2nd was great and I had fun even if I was still acclimating to the game.

In your Pokemon Cafe Mix thread when I was gonna DL that game, I went and DL'd this game as well. I'm more likely to play this game soon before Pokemon Cafe Mix but both will still be a while before I dive in.

Thanks for making this topic because it's better than anything I would've come up with.

I played in the 2nd beta test. Was going to make some videos with that footage but because of how work had/has been going I haven't felt like editing videos after work. It's fun and it took a little to get used to the one mode they had available. I did pre-purchase this. It's free.  I'm gonna cool down a bit from work before I jump on for a few rounds. Wouldn't mind teaming up with anyone one of these days.

I will be streaming this an hour before Smash on Saturday if you're still on the fence. Cheap plug!

GungHo says they'd love to do a Splatoon colab (see link in tweet below)...

OMG! This is exactly what I was thinking when look at some gameplay yesterday. :D  It just makes too much since given how heavily inspired by Splatoon Ninjala is. It would be cool if there we Splatoon themed avatar items in Ninjala and some NInjala themed gear in Splatoon 2. C'mon, Nintendo. Make it happen!

Speaking of look at some gameplay yesterday... I watched a bit of GameXplain's livestream of the game last night and I think I'm totally on board. Though, I heard people were having some connection issues, so I might wait a day or two before jumping in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just gonna leave this here...

*Yes, this is an official music video. This is a remix of Japanese pop Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's hit song 'Ninja Re Bang Bang', in collaborated with American musician and producer, Steve Aoki.

Edited by alienboyva

I booted it up briefly last night to set up my avatar and get a lay of the menu. It's either been a while where you have to pay for the story.

Up here 8n Canada it is on sale for $5.99 from $14 till 7/14. Not sure how to feel about, these chapters better be chock fill of things to do. If there's 12 of these and each is on sale when it first comes out for the first 2 weeks. That is $72 in total on top of any money to spend for jala, in game currency. I'm most likely not gonna pay for Jala, insag this and I haven't played a match to know how this stuff is earned.

• alienboyva changed the title to Ninjala - Ninja-Gum Battle Action! | *Available Now! (Free-to-Play)*

Since this game doesn't explain things very well (at least from what I've seen/heard), I've added a link to the Online Manual in the OP.

1 hour ago, TKrazyO said:

I was going to play yesterday but the server was under maintenance 😑.

Yeah, as i mentioned in my previous post, they were having quite a bit of connection issues. Hopefully it it's fix by now.

Edited by alienboyva
13 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

BTW, can you earn Jala from just playing the game or is it only paid/given out in special occasions?

As I mentioned 3 posts above you can buy Jala with real-word money as your in-game currency so like any microtranstion of that nature, you can naturally earn Jala in-game.

Tho, I have not played online to confirm the above I'm pretty sure this true, especially how the shop is setup to buy Jala as well.

Edited by DLurkster
7 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

As I mentioned 3 posts above you can buy Jala with real-word money as your in-game currency so like any microtranstion of that nature, you can naturally earn Jala in-game.

Tho, I have not played online to confirm the above I'm pretty sure this true, especially how the shop is setup to buy Jala as well.

Thanks! This is indeed the case...

🔗https://ninjalathegame.com/en/manual/jala_medals.html

I got a chance to try out the game for a bit (got to lvl 8) and it's fun for what it is. Though, I feel it's there, but not quite there yet (if you know what I mean). I still don't feel like I fully understand everything (mostly mechanics wise). For example, why are there two types of kills, Ippon (1 full point) and K.O.? What's the difference? Yeah..I need to do a deep dive into that Online Manual. On my first battle I got 2nd and Ippon Master, though it seems most of the people got DC'd (the match did freez for a bit at the start). Hell, I'll take it! :D 

*click to enlarge*

EbexLHfUYAEqwqR?format=jpg&name=large

Lost by 69 pts. NICE! :-P

In another match there were 3 separate times where I took down some until they were almost dead and someone would swoop in, knock me back, and steal my kill. Total fucking BS!! >:( However I did manage to get 4th overall that match, but 3 times this happened in that match.... THREE TIMES!!!! 

Things I like:

• Fortnite style payment model, where you only pay for cosmetics and a battle pass to get more unlocks for leveling & tiering up (No pay-to-win) Oh, and single player Story Mode chapters based around each character are purchasable as well.
  • The art style (heavily inspired by Splatoon)
  • The music
  • It's free-to-play

Things I don't like:

• Only 3 weapon types, Swords, Hammers, Yo-Yos (I hope they add a few more types soon. Though I know this just came out)
  • Weapon skins are consumable (Why use them then?)
  • Seems to have to connect a lot, especially after leaving menus (might be on my end)
  • No skill lvl match making (I've been put in matches with lvl 1 and lvl 20+ players in the same match. Of course, the higher lvl players with more Shinobi Card abilities unlocked and a better grasp of the games mechanics won).
  • Same one stage on Quick Battle kept showing up (WNA Academy), even though there are other stages in the game.
  • A few more modes besied Battle Royal and Team Battle (I know this just released though).
  • No voice chat (feel this would be useful in party mode with friends)

Overall, I really like this game and feel like it could become really big if they continue to add new features and listen to player feedback (Get Nintendo to advertise it more, too). Though, it will need to be on all platforms if they want come anywhere near Fortnite levels of popularity/revenue. I really feel like GugHo looked at Splatoon after seeing what Fortnite did and was like, "Nintendo could make a ton of money if Splatoon was F2P and adopted Fortnite's payment model". ...And so Ninjala was born. :P 

------------------------------------------------

EDIT: So, I've been digging through the Online Manual (link in the OP) and apparently you can lock-on to opponents by clicking the R stick. This sure would have been helpful to know, when playing last night. Thanks for explaining this important feature game! -___-' I wonder what other stuff is in this manal that I don't know about, because the game didn't explain it...?

kKOwXJp.png

Edited by alienboyva

Ippon is when you take someone down who was in a gum-bound state. It's what the loading screen says. I thought the drill was another type of weapon but I guess it's in the Katana family. There are weapons that do work differently even though they're in the same category. Found that out the hard way with the Hammers. I forgot about the lock-on.

Anyway, gonna be streaming some Ninjala for an hour before Smash starts!

I finally got my first 1st place win! \^o^)/

...Now, to just get a win with a full 8 players.

I'm starting to like the game a bit more now that I've found a weapon I'm good with. I started with using the spinner yo-yo (what I used when I got that 1st place), because I though a ranged weapon would be useful for being able to attack without getting hit easily. Though, I found it to be pretty weak (especially against drones) and I didn't really care for it's specials. I switched to the teal drill katana and it made a world of difference. I like how it has dash/teleport attacks, does more damage to opponents, can take down drones faster, and I love how its special power-ups the weapon so you can just go town on people and easily get a ippon. I think I'm starting to get the hang of things for the most part, though I'm still not sure how I feel about that parry mechanic that's just a game of rock, paper, scissors. There have been times where I just kept losing, because I chose the wrong direction and got K.O.'d/Ippon'd. Yeah, it really sucks getting K.O.'d or Ippon'd do to complete randomness. :( 

For some reason this happened... :D 

I tried some ranked battles and it ended up being more frustrating than fun.

My main problems were:

• Eagle City is too big! I spend more time looking for people than fighting people (I know there like a radar).
  • Ket getting comboed and ipponed by pro yo-yo players who are just outside of my view
  • Kept losing when trying to parry and eventually ipponed, because I kept getting unlucky and chose the wrong direction.
  • You loose way to many points if you don't come in the top 3 in BR matches
  • You lose why to many points if your team loses in team matches, even if you came in 1st on your team.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with free battles, because ranked seems to be where all the really good/pro players hangout. You don't get anything for ranking up, do you?

Also, I think it's kind of BS that some special moves (just this one?) have a guaranteed ippon if you land a hit (see end of video).

*Back-to-back ippons! (o^_')b

BTW, I love how the announcer shouts random Japanese words, like sushi tempura, karaoke, fujiyama, samurai, etc. if you ippon someone or get ipponed. :D

Edited by alienboyva
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been playing quite a bit of this game lately and have gotten pretty decent. I'm currently lvl 39 and tire 33 (Free Pass), though I feel there's some balancing issues that need to be addressed...

• Not being able to get out of a combo. If someone combos you, you're basically screwed and just have to wait until your ipponed/K.O.ed
  • Stop people from being able to steal your kills! I can't tell you how many times where I'll be fighting someone and have them almost to where I'm going to ippon/K.O. them and someone will randomly swoop in and take it away from me. I know there's that shield that pushes you back when two people are clashing (only when parrying?), but the minuet it goes away, someone will come in to steal your kill. This seems to happen way too often. They need to do something to stop this. When people see two people fighting, they always jump in trying to steal a kill.
  • One hit Ippons/K.O.s with full health. I'm not sure what the deal with this is, but there have been times where I've noticed I've been ipponed or K.O.ed with full health from a basic attack (no ninjutsu moves) They need to make it so this can't happen.
  • Tenchi Muyo Ninjutsu needs to be nerfed. If they're going to have ninjutsu moves that give you a guaranteed ippon if you land a hit, then it needs to take quite a bit longer than other ninjutsu moves to activate. There have been times where I ippon or K.O. someone and there's a brief half a second where you can can't do anything and someone will be there waiting to immediately use the Tenchi Muyo Ninjitsu on me. 
  • Piercing Mixer Ninjutsu needs to be nerfed. I can't  tell you how many times I've been ipponed by someone using this like a mile away hiding behind a wall. I know there's similar special in Splatoon 2, which can also go through walls and I've never had an issue with that. Though, I Ninjala I feel it shouldn't go through walls and it's range needs to be slightly shorter.
  • Beyond the Gumb Special needs to be nerfed. I can't how many times I've been turned into this yellow poop while fighting someone and instantly got comboed to death, because I was too slow to escape and transformed for too long. There needs to be a way to get out of it quicker and/or last for like half the time.
  • Fujiyama Rocket Ninjutsu needs to be nerfed. This thing is just BS! I know there was a similar special in the original Splatoon, but at least you could get away from it easier when you see the blast coming. In Ninjala it just can't seem to get a away from this fast enough most times. Also, it's total BS that someone can use this while to people a fighting each other and get two free ippons. Most people seem to use this when they see a big group of people.

*Man, Ninjala sure is heavily inspired by Splatoon, even down to the specials (ninjutsu moves) 

Now with this being said, I don't think Ninjala is necessarily a bad game. It's not a great (has some flaws), however it's still pretty fun and for some reason I'm compelled to keep playing it. If they keep listening to the community and fix the issues, this could be a GREAT game. I mean they already fixed the issue people had with ranking-up, where you would lose way more points for losing a battle than you earn from winning a battle (even at lower ranks).

Edited by alienboyva