New Pokemon news just released - News Part 2, Electric Boogaloo!

• Chrom featured this topic

In case you didn't watch, spoiler tag used:

Spoiler

Pokemon Unite.  A MOBA Pokemon game that'll be both for mobile and Switch and free-to-start. Pretty neat concepts on how it plays it. No release date.

Feel bad for the Sinnoh stans though

I don’t know what i was expecting, but it wasn’t... that.

Looks like a Moba with a Pokémon twist on it, and i never cared or liked those type of games myself, honestly...

So this is going to be a hard pass for me

Well, that was a waste of 11 minutes of my time...

So, this is what Tencent and TPC have been working on. I 'm not surprised this turned out to be a PKMN MOBA, as these types of games are pretty popular in China. I've never played a MOBA before, but this looks like it could be fun. Though, I hope it doesn't become play-to-win (looking at you Mario Kart Tour's rankings). Also, I'm not sure how I feel about typing not being in. Though, I'd assume this decision was made for the better.

There's rumors of Tencent making Pokemon game, they do especialized MOBA games. We honestly shouldn't be surprised, really. Unfortunately, I don't play MOBA and the concpet, even this one does not capture me. Tho, I must say to never piss of the TPC president competitively, did you see that devastation from Wartortle. Damn!  

---------------------

5 hours ago, Shadow118 said:

I don’t know what i was expecting, but it wasn’t... that.

Looks like a Moba with a Pokémon twist on it, and i never cared or liked those type of games myself, honestly...

So this is going to be a hard pass for me

Well, that was a waste of 11 minutes of my time...

Ha, ha. I'm not laughing at you for wasting your your time but for TPC presenting this like they did really?!? Glad I didn't wake up early to watch this, just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Would've preferred if the new Snap's reveal had been saved for last now, because that was weak in comparison to build up to and end off on.

I was gonna say this but look at this this way, if they did that what would be the chance anyone would tune in next week for another presents if ppl didn't like this announcement per se. It would be like last week where no one thought to watch last week and because of that some ppl got side blinded by New Pokemon Snap. It would just happen to day.

In the end there's no winning when it comes to what is shown first or last. Damned if yo do and damned if you don't.

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

Tencent is a Chinese company that was involved in that Blitzchung Hong Kong shitstorm from last year.

... Oh, yikes. Looking into Tencent: Its founder is the richest man in China and a proud plagiarist (not shocking--modern Chinese culture considers cheating a virtue), and the company owns hundreds of subsidiaries spanning video games, social media, and... well, basically *everything*.

It doesn't seem like a company Nintendo/Pokemon would support beyond a profit motive. A Pokemon version of League of Legends seems really cool and a lot of people will probably like it, but now I'm sure glad it's not a genre I'm personally interested in. I won't be supporting Tencent.

Tencent is also involved in creating that Social Credit System. Just imagine a credit score on everything, even being a "good citizen". It's quite scary.

Anyhow when disregarding the whole Tencent angle, a Pokemon MOBA may be a decent fit. It does have a large cast that you can choose from, and in some ways, seeing it played out the way it did made me understand the flow of a typical MOBA in that ten or so minutes more than something like LoL did in an hour of playing. But this is still going to be a pass, since I have no interest in a MOBA.

Edited by avalonknight

I've never played a MOBA even though I could play SMITE right now which is apparently pretty darn good.  But I can see myself giving this a try.  A big part of it is because it's Pokemon (I mean, come on, just being real here) but also I like the idea of choosing a team at their lowest and having to make decisions on how to progress your character to be most effective by the time your teams clash.

I do think it's a weird decision to not incorporate type advantages but maybe it would cause balancing issues?  I dunno.  Still, looking forward to giving this a shot.

I generally lose interest when I hear that a game is free-to-play now. Pokemon Go is enough for me. In regards to some of the negative reaction I've seen for this, I don't know why people want Sinnoh remakes so much with how Sword and Shield turned out. It would've been nice to have seen Let's Go games for Johto though.