Gamegear Micro!

OK, while cool in its own right, I never saw GG being that big of a deal for Sega to a mini like this.  Also, why only put 4 games per color and then sell a collector set for all 5 finishes to get all the games.  Maybe there is some ROI to what they did but why not make it a) larger, b) with more games, and c) handle the colors differently.

But I do kind of agree with things I have heard about why not a SMS mini or Dreamcast or Saturn mini.  It just seems that would be a better play.  I think a SMS would go along side the NES mini very well.

Cool idea, but man...there's a limit to how Micro something can be and still be viable.  If it's really that small then for me it feels like a novelty that went a bit too far.  But aside from that having games tied to a certain color is just odd.

The "Big Window" add-on is the most hilariously egregious example of "create a problem, sell the solution" that I've seen recently. And yeah everything about this just seems kind of absurd, from the four versions with different games to the pricing at ~$50 a pop. I wonder if this sort of thing would resonate better in Japan though, in terms of the collect 'em all appeal.

Have retro mini-consoles officially jumped the shark now? To be honest there are still some consoles that I might be interested in getting the mini treatment like the N64, or maybe Dreamcast or Saturn since I never had either of those. This feels like peak saturation though.