The Ramen Bowl - N4A Chat Thread - June 2020

Chrom

19 hours ago, ace said:

It has handles!

2ED735AE-768F-44F8-9258-B9C7ADEC3241.thumb.jpeg.fdce4c18aa035c9865c67b4faed9f3dc.jpeg

I’ve seen nothing but the highest praise for this thing and I’m excited to get it in my hands 

I have this controller without the handles. For some reason, the left analog stick drifts like nobodies business when used. The d-pad is perfect, though. It's my go to controller for Sonic Mania and Collection of Mana. I've tried updating the controller with their software, but it's confusing and I never got it to work.

Reviews have long been a crapshoot. 

This is something we have known for years; and there have been quite a number of questionable incidents over the years. For example, the only thing I remember about Kane & Lynch: Dead Men  is the Gamespot review controversy. Driv3r is another that stands out, but there are plenty of other examples we can pull, and I'm talking actual issues, not giving a hyped game getting an 8.8. Of course, I said this nothing there are plenty of legitimate news organizations out there, but gaming review have been mired with controversy for, as has been stated, decades. 

Audience reviews have long been questionable as well, and review bombing makes it even harder to tell what's legit and what's not. You can't really just take an aggregated score, whether it's an aggregated score from critics or the audience, at face value anymore. Not that you should, as reviews are a tool. They can be helpful, but I can think of plenty games I enjoyed that reviewers didn't, and that's fine. Entertainment is very subjective.

Edited by blcdude1

I still remember that one time Radiant Dawn was docked points for not having "online, miis, and motion controls."

I've sort of ignored major review publishers for like... A decade now? Most games I like will fall into the 8-out-of-10 category without even looking, and a lot of specific criticisms aren't useful--like thanks Sherlock, glad to know that you should play Trails in the Sky First Chapter if you want to understand Second Chapter.

Mostly I just pay attention to people I follow on YouTube or discord groups, and usually if I see a game there gets traction I'll check it out, and often just stick to certain developers, like Falcom and Intelligent Systems, whose games I generally like anyway.

Edited by Zora von Genbu
5 hours ago, Zora von Genbu said:

I still remember that one time Radiant Dawn was docked points for not having "online, miis, and motion controls."

The one I remember is Metroid Prime 3: Corruption being docked for because the "streamlined controls make things a little too easy and a little less adventurous," an assertion that came almost immediately after the declaration that the "smooth control scheme that cements exactly how FPS controls should work on the platform."