Virtuos - "...no doubt Switch adaptations can be worked for any current gen console games."

NintendoLife

Note:  Had to revise the title so that it's somewhat an approximation of the quote from the article.  Character limits and such.

Virtuous, much like Panic Button and Saber Interactive, has made a name for itself in porting some games over to Switch that were otherwise thought to not be possible or to be bothered with.  They're also the team bringing over the upcoming Bioshock and XCOM 2 collections launching later this week.  Speaking of which the link above leads to a lengthy interview where they discuss some things including the process behind how they've brought games over to Switch, what they've learned with each project and the advantage is grants for the next game and also their thoughts on just about any current gen game being possible on Switch.

Zhang Chengwei: When we discuss any Switch project with our partners, the first step is to figure out what their expectations are for the game. How do they envision the finished product? It's not just about timelines or budgets, but more about achieving the game quality they want for the game they know and love. So, we start by taking them through all the areas they need to consider for a great Switch game. How do they make the most of the best Switch features?

The next step is what we call creating "Virtuos' Solution". We propose the best solutions for how to fully use the Switch’s best features and really make the game shine, not just as a game, but specifically as a Switch game. Off the back of our work on Starlink: Battle for Atlas, Dark Souls: Remastered, The Outer Worlds and the coming XCOM2, we now have no doubt that Switch adaptations can be worked for games on any of the current generation of consoles (PS4/XB1).

We have our own quality standards and obviously we don't create low-quality products which might hurt the Switch library or the wider games industry.

My next experience with their handiwork will be The Outer Worlds.  Not sure when I'll get to play it, but I definitely want to give it a shot.  But otherwise, what do you think?  Granted, I'm not expecting miracles here (though some have happened on Switch) but I think some of these studios putting their money where their mouths are when it comes to translating projects over to Switch then let it happen..

I plan on getting Outer Worlds on Switch not because of the pedigree of these developers, now that I know more about the game I'm a bit more interested.

Tho, I cannot lie like the Panic Button developers out there take their time to put out what is worthy of the Switch potential and prowess.

Sometimes it's not all about what you get back financially but worth you put work wise.

13 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I plan on getting Outer Worlds on Switch not because of the pedigree of these developers, now that I know more about the game I'm a bit more interested.

Tho, I cannot lie like the Panic Button developers out there take their time to put out what is worthy of the Switch potential and prowess.

Sometimes it's not all about what you get back financially but worth you put work wise.

I want The Outer Worlds for roughly the same reason.  Didn't even know Virtuos was behind the port, figured Obsidian was doing all of them. 

Virtuos seems pretty confident that they could port any current gen game.  Now, granted, I'm sure there are some that probably wouldn't make very good candidates for the process but it still boggles my mind that there still isn't a version of GTA V for Switch, as an example.

Edited by Kezay
2 hours ago, ace said:

At the end of the day the Switch SoC was outdated when the system launched. There is only so much third parties can do to get their games running on the thing.

True enough, but I do appreciate that there are developers who are open to the idea of bringing games to the Switch that the respective publishers either didn't initially intend to or never had any intention of exploring for whatever reason that may be.  No doubt the notable developers who have specialized in doing this; Virtuos, Panic Button and Saber Interactive, will realize that there are some games that they simply can't manage that expectation with but I absolutely will embrace the energy that some have to give it their best shot.  There are some rather great games that have come to the Switch because they've made a point of giving it a try when publishers are saying that they can't or that it's impossible.

They're essentially the RedOctane, Red Fly Studios, High Voltage Software, Treyarch for this generation. And by that I mean, the studios I just listed did quite a bit for Wii much in the same vein of what Virtuos, Panic Button and Saber have done for Switch.  I'm still curious to see if the Crysis remaster for Switch is actually being done in house or if one of these studios are taking charge of it.

Edited by Kezay
  • Chrom featured this topic

Welp, this happened....

Pretty much the sum up is that it is not 1080p docked but 720 docked undocked 540p and as low as 384p. In either mode the game is blurry even more so on portable. Framerate is finicky, well the longer you play or in densely populated area or in battle. Framerate is at 30FPS but stutter and in those worse cases the dip to the high teens on either docked or undocked.

Also there's a weird loading where the whole screen pauses and enemies or townfolk pop-in out of nowhere. That is not frequent and appears to be random when it occurs. General pop-in is the normal like with Witcher 3.

The sacrifice to foliage is sacrilegious, like what they did to pair it down on Witcher 3 was acceptable, add that with all of the above and I don't why Virtuos bother to port this game to Switch. Did they not have a lot of time with the games they ported last week to Switch, like how did they thought these sacrifices were okay?!?

Despite all of that or if one will accept the above the game narrative and mechanics are still intact of course but is marred by all the above so again why was this port made?!?

Edited by DLurkster