Paper Mario: The Origami King - TRAILER - July 17/20

I believe Sam said in the Treehouse presentation that coins could be burned through quickly, but didn't really specify on what. The in-game economy for Origami King seems completely busted. Nearly several hundred coins being rewarded for beating a Goomba enemy is absurd. This game seems like it'll be throwing around high numbers to try and give a player an illusion of reward and accomplishment. This is very different from how coins have been valued before. I'm interested in hearing reviews for the game though that specifically address battling and the purpose of having tons of coins.

I am sorry that so many people appear unhappy with this direction, but it still looks to me that it could be fun. Looks like this time the story and characters will at least be there. I guess for those who want classic turn-based battles and the like this is potentially a nail in the coffin for the series, but for me at least this could be more along the lines of what I am looking for.

17 hours ago, DranSeasona said:

I am sorry that so many people appear unhappy with this direction, but it still looks to me that it could be fun. Looks like this time the story and characters will at least be there. I guess for those who want classic turn-based battles and the like this is potentially a nail in the coffin for the series, but for me at least this could be more along the lines of what I am looking for.

Same here. I believe this is better than not getting a Paper Mario game or another sticker star at worse. The only thing that is left over from sticker star at this point is the lack of exp and that's about it. Coins are important to the gameplay, writing is on point like color splash. No more chapters, battle puzzle, if you want can be challenging, and the boss puzzles is real novel. I think this will be the turning point for Paper Mario to better than ever before!

i was thinking about it the other day and it really seems like mario RPGs stopped being good when they stopped taking inspiration from Super Mario RPG lol.
not that they can't be good without being influenced by that game (SMRPG isn't even my favorite), but they just haven't managed it yet lol

1 hour ago, Pichi said:

i was thinking about it the other day and it really seems like mario RPGs stopped being good when they stopped taking inspiration from Super Mario RPG lol.
not that they can't be good without being influenced by that game (SMRPG isn't even my favorite), but they just haven't managed it yet lol

That's the thing about that. The first two PM games had elements that simulate RPG aspects, exp points, leveling up, and turn base attacking.

I can't believe it took few reminder look back at the earlier games to make me realize that. So yeah, life imitate art but it's been sort of a failed attempt since the start of the series so now we are stuck in sort of limbo trying to find the identity what PM should be. If that makes any sense.

you gotta remember that Paper Mario was literally gonna be "Super Mario RPG 2" before they ended up having to change it. so the SMRPG influence isn't just about the mechanics, it's everything. especially the humor, man. stuff like Bowser being overdramatic and incompetent. random villagers taking the piss out of Mario. Frogfucius "flying" in on the hook of an offscreen Lakitu before emotionally announcing that your distinctly unfroglike ally is in fact not a frog. that's the kind of silly humor and flippant approach to the plot that i think made people fall in love in the first place.
the unique areas and scenarios, too. just think about Booster's Tower: infiltrating a mansion to save Peach from a kooky noble who wants to marry her, then peacefully making amends, only for it to be ruined by angry bakers whose cake comes to life. making your way to the clouds where you finally find mallow's homeland, only to find out that the royal family has been usurped and he was somehow convincingly replaced with a giant bird lol
there are tons of little direct references, too: https://www.mariowiki.com/Paper_Mario#Similarities_with_Super_Mario_RPG:_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars

Edited by Pichi

Besides the personality and character it lacks in characters, current Paper Mario cannot pick a genre. For whatever reason, Nintendo felt like they couldn't have two successful RPGs running under Mario. Paper Mario is defined by them as an action adventure now, but they're not fully embracing that genre either. I've been thinking about why there are even turn-based battles. I honestly think that Paper Mario hasn't embraced that kind of change because it would be too much like some of the 3D Mario games following the logic that Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi couldn't co-exist as RPGs. As it is, turn-based combat is in the way in current Paper Mario, so if they're not going back to the RPG genre with the next installment I'm looking for the removal of turn-based combat. 

I can get really into games that are considered controversial, but I just don't see identity in current Paper Mario. I'm ready for this release to happen so that Nintendo can hopefully update everyone on what else is coming this year soon. 

7 hours ago, Pichi said:

you gotta remember that Paper Mario was literally gonna be "Super Mario RPG 2" before they ended up having to change it. so the SMRPG influence isn't just about the mechanics, it's everything. especially the humor, man. stuff like Bowser being overdramatic and incompetent. random villagers taking the piss out of Mario. Frogfucius "flying" in on the hook of an offscreen Lakitu before emotionally announcing that your distinctly unfroglike ally is in fact not a frog. that's the kind of silly humor and flippant approach to the plot that i think made people fall in love in the first place.
the unique areas and scenarios, too. just think about Booster's Tower: infiltrating a mansion to save Peach from a kooky noble who wants to marry her, then peacefully making amends, only for it to be ruined by angry bakers whose cake comes to life. making your way to the clouds where you finally find mallow's homeland, only to find out that the royal family has been usurped and he was somehow convincingly replaced with a giant bird lol
there are tons of little direct references, too: https://www.mariowiki.com/Paper_Mario#Similarities_with_Super_Mario_RPG:_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars

That explains why my preferred PM is about the characters, funny scenarios and such... SMRPG is my favourite game, after all. I guess I never really thought of it that way.

I think what PM was in the process of adding before the SS debacle was also an interesting plot overall to go along with the rest. TTYD and SPM both had good stories on top of the rest mentioned, and that’s really what I like my PM as being like, regardless of mechanics. I agree that the PM series has an identity crisis right now. But I am optimistic for this game so far to meet my personal PM needs.

That's tricky for me to pick if I like SMRPG or PMTTYD, that's like for me picking what's my fave classic 2D Mario platformer: SMB 3 or SMW or for my fave Nintendo franchise Zelda: OOT or MM. It took me years to just with SMB 3 and MM. I never gave that thought to Mario RPG before. I like SMRPG like I like OOT amazing game and it doesn't hurt that it has Geno in there but PMTTYD have the story, characters and even if was simulated RPG mechanics, I think it is superb in how it was handled at the time trying to go back the origins of SMRPG roots.

That's my opinion on originator to the first 2 PM games. So though I have very fond memories of those game, I knew we should look at the latter games as their own because those who started to play PM games after Super Paper Mario only have those as reference and I could or more wouldn't fathom why they thought those title are great. I know we are all entitled to our opinions, I just didn't or more refuse to do that as what I believed is beloved to me the first 2 PM games.

Where ever one stands on this, this latest PM title seem like we're getting the title I think both crowds might enjoy.

That's also why everything Mario solely made by Nintendo has been down since then with the exception of Mario Kart and Super Mario Odyssey, when they finally created plenty of new species for the Mario universe. 2D Mario got so creatively bankrupt that they handed it to the community to make the content. I don't know why they are so restrictive with a universe with a lot of creative potential, the most creative potential of their IPs in my opinion. I also don't know how this team goes from declining to use a Mario universe character as a boss to including a colored pencil set as their original character design. It has always been possible to modify Mario universe characters, they just don't want to do that anymore or were told by someone higher up to no longer do that. The entire Mario IP, with its spin-offs, would be elevated if it were lead by people that were more willing to embrace the possibilities within the IP like what the current teams use to do. 

aaaand i clicked on an Origami King stream and the first thing i see is the streamer saying "yes, thank you, i know" to the navi thing pointing out something that was literally dead center on the screen. fucking knew it lmao

@DLurkster jesus christ, they literally banned the paper mario staff from creatively modifying existing mario enemies?
that's so much worse of a reason than i expected.

Edited by Pichi

Fuck damn.

Why is Amazon Canada saying PM: TOK won't come till July 30th-31st?!?

Maybe this is a sign to ponder my life choices?

EDIT - UPDATE: It says that it's coming July 18-19. I have never seen Nintendo game from Amazon delivery on weekend. I have experienced weekend deliveries from Amazon. It's just unusual that Nintendo games releasing on Friday, Amazon usually deliveries the same day. I think Amazon must of had the snooze alarm on because before today it said date pending when release was known the same day it was first revealed. I PO earlier this month not right away and it said that.

Xenoblade Chronicles: DE is different but still pissed of at EBGames for not delivery almost a week later, dammit 

9 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Not to mention that with Alpha Dream gone, there's no longer any studio dedicated to making Mario RPGs at all.

Yeah, realizing that is like a insult to injury. Why can't Nintendo do what SEGA did and have some real dedicated fans make game for them like Sonic Mania. I would love to see how someone would envision Paper Mario as a actual RPG. I feel we won't see that for 10-20 years and I am being overly generous with that number.

Edited by DLurkster