Paper Mario: The Origami King - TRAILER - July 17/20

5 hours ago, Carl321 said:

I had assumed Sticker Star was going to be more of the franchise I loved from the RPG elements. I was wrong. Very wrong. I got burned pretty bad.

This? This looks better. I'm optimistic but not at all going to trust it until enough reviews and information comes out. I refuse to get burned again.

Even if this has basic RPG elements the recent entries have been pretty soulless using generic... everything. Here's hoping this entry puts the franchise back on track.

I'm most excited for that Samus thing at the end! Don't... don't give me hope...

Same. I gonna wait to hear from reviews. I really don't want to be surprised by cautiously optimism to be ultimate burned when the shiny boots are some sticker or cards, battles are useless, no EXP and the tag along character are merely fodder and do nothing battle.

Other than the rest looks good.

Goddammit Nintendo if there's a miracle I want from you this year it will be this title. Do not let me down here.

While I'm not sure how to feel about this title yet in relation to the previous Paper Mario's, this is definitely the closest time a game has been announced before being released. Guess they knew many would still get this one though regardless of when they revealed it and that its sales would get a boost by COVID in part like ACNH did. Nonetheless, glad the notion has been shut down that Nintendo had nothing planned this year beyond AC and the Xenoblade port. The Metroid tease was also nice I guess. On that note, more different artists have still been hired recently for Prime 4, so I think its development is going as well as usual despite COVID-19.

I am pretty optimistic that the story will at least be there for this title, but it’s too early to be sure, I guess. An origami cult is a neat idea to mess around with, IMO.

The gameplay mechanics are not altogether important to me... I greatly enjoyed Super Paper Mario and really don’t care if they ever go back to traditional RPG mechanics, TBH. If there are good characters and an actual story this time, I would be happy. My problem with Sticker Star was how bland it was, not so much how it played. Never played Colour Splash, but heard it was really just slightly better than Sticker Star, so am hoping Origami King is more like the first three in terms of overall charm.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:10 AM, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

Please be good. Please. You’ve hit rock bottom before. What’s the worse that can happen?

Agree.  Sticker star was a disappointment to me, and I’m hopeful we can get something akin to the original Paper Mario again.  I just want solid turn based gameplay, with witty dialogue as always, and a unique twist. 

I really do wonder if that's a tease of a Metroid reveal.  For all we know maybe Nintendo will start showing off titles like this in lieu of a Direct or anything would have usually been E3 related, who knows at this point?  But that's just a really odd and on the nose kind of thing to highlight at the end of the trailer almost like a teaser.  But I don't want to look too far into, there was that one time years ago where Reggie wore a Metroid related pin and everyone was certain something Metroid related was coming from it and then...nothing.  So, I'm being cautiously optimistic. XD

I almost expect to hear Metroid news later this year due to how they presented yesterday's announcement trailer. I'm not on board that it teases a new Metroid game being released this year. I have my doubts about previous Metroid rumors being true with how the supposed Metroid Prime Trilogy HD has gone during the Switch's life. There's no reason to draw attention to Metroid like that in another game's announcement though unless news is on the way soon. After Prime 4's development update and restart last year, drawing attention to Metroid without news to follow would be in poor taste and could cause an already hungry fanbase to be irritated with Nintendo. I'm thinking Metroid news gets dropped between now and August. 

As I've continued to watch YT videos related to Origami King's reveal, I did end up purchasing the original Paper Mario for my Wii U. Whether or not I actually get Origami King, Nintendo still got some money from me due to its reveal. 

Paper Mario N64 and TTYD were two of my favourite games of all time. I really hope that this is more of a return to form, but it seems like it will still be lacking some RPG elements and there may not be partners. Nonetheless, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic for this than I was for Sticker Star or Colour Splash. I never did get around to playing those two games, and I don't really feel I've missed out.

• Chrom featured this topic

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this thread but the reason why most on the fence for this game is one word 'vague'.

The whole trailer is vague as all heck, it was all over the place in what it shown this game can be for newcomers and old. Trying dissect what could be return to form for this series.

In the vid above shows off 2 Nintendo Switch game trailers in which the context of gameplay is missing, it over-dramatize this for me but the point its trying to get across is that there is nothing we can decipher from the trailer that this game will be another sticker star 3, return to form or a mixed of the 2. It is too hard tell and any hope for change is too late as the game is already all done with a release in 2 months. So all we can do is that in the next coming weeks we see more trailers flesh what this game really is but until its release we can't really judge it but that what game reviews are for.

I still remain cautiously optimistic for this game but I'll not be fooled a third time pending review on this game.

Fool me once, shame on you Nintendo. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three time, shame on both of us.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, here's more from GX showing this game is bringing back mechanics of old with modern Paper Mario.

I'm getting sold more and more now with this video on top of the one Nintendo released so far. I'm just wondering if I should get it digitally or physical?