No Tony Hawk 1+2 Remaster for Switch? Why!?

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 remastering the originals later this year, but not to Switch

So, I'm trying to understand this because I'm actually pretty annoyed that stuff like this keeps happening.  The two games they're remastering were no stranger to Nintendo systems and in fact I don't think any multiplatform game in the series has skipped a Nintendo platform other than Pro Skater 5.  It being a remaster rather than a remake has me thinking that there is nothing being done with the game that couldn't be done on Switch.  Honestly, I don't even think if it were a full on remake of the two games that it would be outside of what Switch could handle.  It's not like asking for Final Fantasy Remake to be put on Switch or anything; I could understand those circumstances.

I know I shouldn't operate under the assumption that Switch should be seeing more announcements for games that seem obviously viable for the platform, but it's hard to look at this news and notice the omission.

16 minutes ago, ace said:

I doubt the switch has the hardware chops to run what they're making. As much as I love my switch it's just too underpowered for a lot of this multi platform stuff.

But a remaster of Tony Hawk 1+2 of all things?  It's not like they're doing a new game on some wholly new proprietary engine that Switch can't run.  Small studios have done impressive things on the system already.  Knowing the Switch has its limitations I find it hard to believe that a remaster of THPS 1+2 would tax the hardware to such a degree.

47 minutes ago, Fuzzer1 said:

Well we didn't get the remastered Crash and Spyro trilogies on the Switch right away, so it could still happen next year.

I didn't even think about this.  Although at least with Crash that was Playstation exclusive until the next year when it also hit XBOX and PC in addition to Switch.   Spyro is another story though.

Edited by Kezay

I had the same thought; I can't see why a remaster of 20 year old games wouldn't be able to run on the Switch. But the trailer did advertise 4K graphics, and maybe they just don't want to go through the effort of making a build of the game specifically for the Switch.

Hopefully we'll just get a Switch port at a later date though.

Vicarious Visions is one of the more frequent Nintendo-centric developers Acti-Blizz has. But compared to Crash and Spyro, THPS would be tougher to port over from a graphical standpoint. Also keep in mind, this is not a simple remaster, it's practically a remake like the other couple remakes they've done. While there is the obvious parts of why there might not be a Switch port (but you can turn down texture fidelity and all that), there is also the licensed soundtrack that is confirmed to return, either fully or partially. So they'll need to go through another round of negotiations just for the music.

Edited by avalonknight

@avalonknight: I was gonna bring up the example of the Switch in year one we hardly saw games that could run on Switch but year two (last year) we saw a bunch of ports come to Switch. It takes time and money to port games that may already been to far in development to put on Switch earlier on compared to last year. I wonder if it was the case for these game but I'm gonna lean more on licensing issue with the music they just did had the Switch in mind for whatever outside a remake is probably harder to do then a remaster.

Come to think of it has any remake games come to the Switch? I think that is very good question and indicator how capable the Switch is?

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

@avalonknight: I was gonna bring up the example of the Switch in year one we hardly saw games that could run on Switch but year two (last year) we saw a bunch of ports come to Switch. It takes time and money to port games that may already been to far in development to put on Switch earlier on compared to last year. I wonder if it was the case for these game but I'm gonna lean more on licensing issue with the music they just did had the Switch in mind for whatever outside a remake is probably harder to do then a remaster.

Come to think of it has any remake games come to the Switch? I think that is very good question and indicator how capable the Switch is?

If we look back on the two Crash and the Spyro remasters...well I see them more as remakes, it's too early to tell. If they are making it, I'll expect to maybe see it show up in a Nintendo Direct next year in an ending sizzle reel.

Don't think I've seen many remakes, outside of maybe Link's Awakening, but plenty of remastered ports.

1 hour ago, avalonknight said:

If we look back on the two Crash and the Spyro remasters...well I see them more as remakes, it's too early to tell. If they are making it, I'll expect to maybe see it show up in a Nintendo Direct next year in an ending sizzle reel.

Don't think I've seen many remakes, outside of maybe Link's Awakening, but plenty of remastered ports.

Yeah, I never really thought that the crash and Spyro as remakes but they technically are but compare it to like RE2, RE3 remake and FF7 those all are full on remake or reimagine some ppl call them.

Oh man I forgot about Link's Awakening on Switch is a remake for sure. But now that I look at it remake are usual exclusive to the platform so in Nintendo case more than the other platforms, remakes will most likely be done by Nintendo then port remakes like RE2 or RE3.

Oof. There actually is one other remake by a third party that I forgot about, Panzer Dragoon.

There was news, a really old one, talking about Capcom trying to get the RE Engine to work on Switch. But the best they could do is created a Japan-exclusive Biohazard 7: Resident EvilCloud Edition. I think there was rumors of porting RE3 Remake to Switch. Maybe they finally got the RE Engine to run on it now.

The Panzer Dragoon remake for Switch is a times exclusive but it is a remake nonetheless.

As for RE engine to work on Switch, even tho it was Capcom idea to put 4GB of ram in the Switch instead of the 3 Nintendo was gonna put in, I find it sort of hilarious now not when the cloud version of RE7 came out in Japan only. They still can't find a way for RE engine to work on Switch, tbh I think it is not possible. Like Capcom did wonders with the mobile engine for Revelations on 3DS but that is the only miracle I feel Capcom has done with Nintendo.

23 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I had the same thought; I can't see why a remaster of 20 year old games wouldn't be able to run on the Switch. But the trailer did advertise 4K graphics, and maybe they just don't want to go through the effort of making a build of the game specifically for the Switch.

Hopefully we'll just get a Switch port at a later date though.

I wonder how much work they will put in on the game(s) in a 4K upgrade because of their early origins.  Also, to that end, usually these games have been able to scale down based on the engine they got created in.

I find it hard to pass on the Switch market for this game as skaters could take the game on the go with them while skating on a Switch LOL.

Edited by purple_beard
1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

The Panzer Dragoon remake for Switch is a times exclusive but it is a remake nonetheless.

As for RE engine to work on Switch, even tho it was Capcom idea to put 4GB of ram in the Switch instead of the 3 Nintendo was gonna put in, I find it sort of hilarious now not when the cloud version of RE7 came out in Japan only. They still can't find a way for RE engine to work on Switch, tbh I think it is not possible. Like Capcom did wonders with the mobile engine for Revelations on 3DS but that is the only miracle I feel Capcom has done with Nintendo.

The engine used with Revelations was MT Framework which was designed to be scalable to devices like 3DS.  At one point Capcom planned on using Panta Rhei (the engine powering the Deep Down tech demo) to be the premiere engine for their next gen games while MT Framework would be for other projects, but that never panned out.