A link between Skyward Sword & cancelled Zelda spin off?

So, the image below is concept art from an ex-Retro Studios artist.  The image depicts a character from a cancelled Zelda spin-off that was said to take place within ruined Hyrule in the downfall timeline.  In it, there is a dark Gerudo tribe that is attempting to give birth to a new form of Ganon.  It also mentioned that the game would be an origin story for the Master Sword.

Now, here is where my interest kicks in.  The character in the art reminds me very much of Ghirahim.  The long flowing cap with the large "collar" around the neck and then the skin tight suit under the cape looks very close to the outfit that Ghirahim wears throughout Skyward Sword.  To an extent, even the hair (at least from the front) reminds me a bit of Ghirahim's hairstyle with long locks that fall over one side of the face and covering up an eye.  Another interesting point, the game would be an origin story for the Master Sword.

So you can see where I'm going with this by now.  It's no secret that ideas that are once scrapped can be reused in another way if the project encourages it.  I almost wonder if this now scrapped Zelda spin off had some ideas that were repurposed for Skyward Sword.  Other than the character art below bearing some resemblance to Ghirahim, Skyward Sword was also a game that dealt in the origin story of the Master Sword.  But I could be barking up the wrong tree, still interesting is all.  What say you?

medium_EXRD6BxXsAAPH8P.jpgGhirahim - Zelda Wiki

Ooh, that's really interesting. Nintendo didn't like the game idea but still used their character as the base for Graham Cracker.

They probably didn't like the darker atmosphere and more mature protagonist. We've seen how they encourage big departures from Link's design at the start of each game (especially BOTW's biker and amputee veteran designs), but those don't go far.

Side by side I definitely see the similarities. Nice to see that Retro's work still had an impact.

I can understand Nintendo might not have gone for this direction back then, but nowadays I think they'd be totally open to a third-party collaboration for a spin-off focused on the Sheikah tribe, and I'd be curious too.

Nice observation. You know? The more I think about it, the more I really dig the idea of a Sheikah villian.

19 hours ago, Kezay said:

I almost wonder if this now scrapped Zelda spin off had some ideas that were repurposed for Skyward Sword.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it didn't. You see this kiind of stuff all the time whever you go down the rabbit hole of cancelled games and unused content. I mean you already put of the money for the man hours and you own it, why not use it?

• Chrom featured this topic
On 5/9/2020 at 10:36 AM, Destiny Hero said:

Ooh, that's really interesting. Nintendo didn't like the game idea but still used their character as the base for Graham Cracker.

They probably didn't like the darker atmosphere and more mature protagonist. We've seen how they encourage big departures from Link's design at the start of each game (especially BOTW's biker and amputee veteran designs), but those don't go far.

I do wonder if Nintendo would ever be open to wild departures in tone like that.  Considering Miyamoto at one point wanted Zelda to be more futuristic/sci-fi but we've only ever seen slight elements in regards to that in the games.  Even then, those elements are more like magical artifacts with a sci fi flair than actual sci fi elements.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:04 PM, Eliwood8 said:

Side by side I definitely see the similarities. Nice to see that Retro's work still had an impact.

I can understand Nintendo might not have gone for this direction back then, but nowadays I think they'd be totally open to a third-party collaboration for a spin-off focused on the Sheikah tribe, and I'd be curious too.

Definitely.  Though I've yet to put any serious time into Hyrule Warriors I absolutely love their depiction of Impa.  Just on that alone I'd be down for a game centered around the Sheikah.

On 5/9/2020 at 5:06 PM, DLurkster said:

Yeah, I heard about this SpawnWave NewsWave on Thursday.

I started the video where he talks about it.

It really makes me wonder what else has Retro Studios had their hands in with Nintendo?

It's kind of wild that Retro Studios is one of Nintendo's premiere development studios but they seem so out of the limelight.  Not sure how big they are nowadays but I wonder if they might be able to work on multiple projects at once.  Maybe have a AAA title every now and again like Metroid Prime 4 and inbetween having other games going that allows them to flex their muscles a bit but not necessarily having to be a huge production.

On 5/9/2020 at 10:20 PM, Marxforever said:

Nice observation. You know? The more I think about it, the more I really dig the idea of a Sheikah villian.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it didn't. You see this kiind of stuff all the time whever you go down the rabbit hole of cancelled games and unused content. I mean you already put of the money for the man hours and you own it, why not use it?

Exactly and especially for a company like Nintendo that has talked openly before about how they'll re-purpose former ideas in new ways.  I've no doubt that many of the games we've played have had stuff in them that were carried over from previously scrapped ideas.  I'm pretty sure there's evidence on that floating around actually.

I just don't know where I would go to do something different with Zelda.....

I think it is about time Zelda was a playable character....

I wouldn't mind a party system where you can play Link and Zelda together just by switching off...

I could be down for them going to an entirely new land other than Hyrule....

Maybe there is something to doing a normal world, Dark World, and Twilight World....

Maybe there is more to explore by using Wolf Link (TP) or Mini Link (Minish Cap)....

Maybe there is more to explore with going down the story of say the Gerrudos, the Sheikahs, the Zoras, the Gorons, the ......

I hope there is a good story tied to BotW 2.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, purple_beard said:

I wouldn't mind a party system where you can play Link and Zelda together just by switching off...

Maybe there is something to doing a normal world, Dark World, and Twilight World....

Maybe there is more to explore by using Wolf Link (TP) or Mini Link (Minish Cap)....

Maybe there is more to explore with going down the story of say the Gerrudos, the Sheikahs, the Zoras, the Gorons, the ......

I personally have no desire to see a Zelda title use Zelda herself as a playable character.  I know that’s probably more nostalgia talking than anything, but I’m sorry—I just see Zelda as a game wherein I play as Link. 

2 hours ago, Linkamoto said:

I personally have no desire to see a Zelda title use Zelda herself as a playable character.  I know that’s probably more nostalgia talking than anything, but I’m sorry—I just see Zelda as a game wherein I play as Link. 

then Linkle it is educate;

On 5/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, purple_beard said:

I'd be down for more games that explore more of the story behind some of the other common races throughout the games.  It doesn't have to be a game solely based on them of course, but let's get some lore behind the Zora and Gorons (for instance) with a similar depth and character as the Sheikah and Gerudo.