Nintendo Q4 Earnings Results (Sales Data)

From Nintendo Investor Relations page the data below is pulled from various sources surrounding their Q4 stats and information.

So, I decided this time around and going forward that I will omit the 3DS and just focus on Switch.  Reason being that frankly, there wasn't a lot of moving between quarters on both a hardware or software front.  Not that it's any secret that the 3DS has been on the way out but if you really wanna check that data it is available at the investor's relations page linked above.

Switch had a pretty big quarter reaching nearly 56M sold and with many of their evergreen selling titles (which seems to be a substantial portion of their first party stable) seeing continued strong sales making for some continued record breaking sales for individual series.  The most recent of which, Animal Crossing, was only tracked for 11 days before the end of the quarter and managed to sell nearly 12M.  That is ridiculous.  Nintendo also provided up to date sales following the end of the tracking period to show Animal Crossing had sold over 13 million in its first six weeks on the market.

Mario Kart continues to be a beast at over 24 million sold with it selling nearly three times as much as the original release on Wii U.  Combined those two releases make Mario Kart 8 the second best selling in the series under Mario Kart Wii's 37M sold.  Smash Bros is still strong posting up an additional 1 million units+ since its ranking in Q3.  In fact, most of the games in the top posted anywhere between an additional 100K-1M units between quarters which is nuts for games like Breath of the Wild that have been around since launch. 

With Animal Crossing joining the top ten it means Luigi's Mansion got pushed off the list but fortunately Nintendo have been showing supplementary data that includes million sellers outside the top ten which is a hefty list and of itself.  Kind of necessary when the top ten consists of all double digit million selling titles except for one resulting many other highly successful titles not being in the spotlight simply because the millions they sold wasn't enough millions.  Not exactly a bad problem to have!

Nintendo Switch - 55.77M

Switch Top Ten Million Sellers

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 24.77M

Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 18.84M

TLoZ: Breath of the Wild - 17.41M

Super Mario Odyssey - 17.41M

Pokemon Sword/Shield - 17.37M

Pokemon LG Pikachu/Eevee - 11.97M

Animal Crossing New Horizons - 11.77M (13.41M tracking it's first six weeks on the market)

Splatoon 2 - 10.13M

Super Mario Party - 10.10M

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 6.60M

Additional million sellers outside Top Ten

Luigi's Mansion - 6.63M

Super Mario Maker 2 - 5.48M

TLoZ Link's Awakening - 4.38M

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 2.87M

Ring Fit Adventure - 2.73M

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - 1.26M

Astral Chain - 1.08M

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - 1.08M

From those software sales figures ...

Of MK8DLX is still going THAT STRONG ...and MKT is still in the marketplace... how far is this pushing out the next MK release?

-On the console side, after that last few minor updates there hasn't been anything special and most of us have been playing since the WiiU game which is like what, 6 years old now.

-I wonder if the alt skins, new racers, and new vehicles getting into MKT are the testing grounds for having MK_  get as custom as CTR.

-I think the next MK game gets the Ultimate treatment with how well Smash U has done.

Odyssey = BotW is a big deal IMO.

-I bet BotW2 and the next main Mario game will be what Nintendo uses to go at the next consoles.

-I think the next big Mario game has to be a 3D one...Galaxy 3... Odyssey 2

ACNH putting in crazy numbers.

SMM2 could have done so much better with the mystery mushrooms coming back.

I think they finally figured out the best way to do a Luigi's Mansion game from here on out... now it just has to get more advanced with locations, power ups, enemies, ideas....

3 hours ago, purple_beard said:

From those software sales figures ...

Of MK8DLX is still going THAT STRONG ...and MKT is still in the marketplace... how far is this pushing out the next MK release?

-On the console side, after that last few minor updates there hasn't been anything special and most of us have been playing since the WiiU game which is like what, 6 years old now.

-I wonder if the alt skins, new racers, and new vehicles getting into MKT are the testing grounds for having MK_  get as custom as CTR.

-I think the next MK game gets the Ultimate treatment with how well Smash U has done.

I get why Nintendo may be holding off on a new installment of Mario Kart and relying on MK8D, the game has sold three times as much as the original release and has put up nearly an additional 2 million in sales between the last two quarters.  But if not for a new installment it would be nice to see some new DLC since the game is pretty long in the tooth now for those who have been on it since the Wii U.

4 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

Honestly a little surprised that Pokémon Sword/Shield isn't higher, but obviously 17M is still huge.

Will New Horizons finally be the game to unseat Mario Kart 8 Deluxe from the number one spot?

I think Sword and Shield still has quite a bit of juice in it.  I don't expect it to reach the highs of the first two gens (original releases, not counting their remakes) but it will definitely be higher than every other entry.  If the DLC boosts sales enough and it manages to have a Christmas resurgence I can see it eventually overtaking Gold and Silver in the long run.

As for Animal Crossing... I can only wonder where it will end up before it starts losing steam.  New Horizons was expected to be big, but not 13+ Million in six weeks big.

11 million sold of AC:NH. That's like a million a day?!?

Are you kidding me. I knew it was gonna sell but it was perfect storm of a long time coming, newcomers coming in on Switch install base and  the world just change to indoor everything a week before its release. Even without that last part it would sold ma 9 million+ tops.