Xenoblade Chronicles DE; New Footage & Future Connected battle theme preview

Surprised there wasn't already a thread for this unless I missed it.  But the other day  a six minute promo video was released that shows an extended look at some more locations as well as additional footage for characters like Reyn, Dunban, Melia, Riki and Sharla.  Also released a preview of the main battle track for Future Connected as well.

Promo Trailer

Spoiler

Future Connected Battle Theme Preview

Spoiler

Edited by Kezay

Love the battle theme preview; it's so upbeat and breezy though, sounds more like exploration music than battle music.

I've seen other details about Future Connected have come out but I'm trying to avoid them as much as possible to play it with fresh eyes. Only question is whether I'm going to play through the entire game first or jump straight to FC.

The new shots of Future Connected seem like they are narrative consistent with the main game, which is great to see. My only concern now is how the game performs outside of the dock, because Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Torna had a big drop in their visual quality. If it's all good, this will be up there with the best on Switch. 

Sad thing about that overview trailer is that we may never see it in English but that doesn't matter when the game is coming out in 26 days. Which is usually when the the English trailers comes out.

As for the battle theme for Future Connected. I heard all the way back on the mini direct day. I like how it seems to be borrowing notes in how the Torna battle theme with the jazz but now with a disco flair. I listen to it when I need a cheer me up. So upbeat.

On 5/3/2020 at 3:02 PM, Eliwood8 said:

Love the battle theme preview; it's so upbeat and breezy though, sounds more like exploration music than battle music.

I've seen other details about Future Connected have come out but I'm trying to avoid them as much as possible to play it with fresh eyes. Only question is whether I'm going to play through the entire game first or jump straight to FC.

I'm at the same crossroads here, I don't know if I want to jump to the main game first on the off chance there may be new story beats that could tie into Future Connected (or elsewhere) that I want to see first.  Or jump into FC because I already generally know what's going on with the main story.

22 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Sad thing about that overview trailer is that we may never see it in English but that doesn't matter when the game is coming out in 26 days. Which is usually when the the English trailers comes out.

As for the battle theme for Future Connected. I heard all the way back on the mini direct day. I like how it seems to be borrowing notes in how the Torna battle theme with the jazz but now with a disco flair. I listen to it when I need a cheer me up. So upbeat.

I definitely got Torna battle them vibes with this track, too.  Can't wait to hear the full version and whatever other battle themes they add in. ^_^

After seeing this preview, I'm a little less excited for the release. It looks like an improvement over how Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looked, but it's still less than ideal considering what the game will look like docked. It's unfortunate that Monolift Soft struggles with developing an off TV play experience with the Xenoblade series on Switch. They've been used to help with other first party projects, maybe they need some help with their own. I don't understand why the Xenoblade series has been the one series that under delivers on the Switch experience. 

This game is more than a remaster but modest remake at best not full remake but I don't think that is the reason why the game looks and performs the way it does in handheld. I think it is the simple fact that despite two titles from Monoliftsoft on Switch one was full game and another was DLC. (those game were based on updated engine for Xenoblade Chronicles X as that game and XC2 were developed around the same time)  I have played both and I see very modest changes between XC2 and Torna performance wise visually a little better.  Same goes for this definitive edition very modest improvement.

When it comes to remakes nothing can compare to new entry of series built from scratch, we know that Monoliftsoft another Xenoblade game, I feel way may see the improvement most want there, why would those be on same engine game of remake. Be realistic here.

They've assisted with games that look consistently great in Breath of the Wild and Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I would think they know what the standard is for consistency between handheld and docked modes in terms of visuals. They have had the cutscenes and relatively more enclosed areas down since Xenoblade Chronicles 2, so I expect parts of this remake to look great. The problem is there is a disconnect if a cutscene occurs in say Gaur Plain (which I think there is based on the original) and then drops in quality as soon as the cutscene ends. To me, the most memorable regions in the game were those that were vast and open, and those will be the areas that struggle the most with consistency. 

Since I know what I'm getting into with Xenoblade Chronicles, I would get this release regardless and tolerate it better than I did Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Torna (together haven't even put 30 hours in) if not just play only on a TV. It's a first party Switch title releasing more than 3 years into the system. If it's not a title made exclusive to handheld or TV play, it should be very consistent between those two styles of play. They're improving, but I still think they're a ways off from the visual performance of the rest of the first party library. 

Edited by IU
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting when it comes to the comment section of this video because, this guy can be half-cocked but he's not wrong with a few titles on Switch, on would think their would be some mild improvements.

But from the looks of the comment section it appears the concern of resolution shouldn't be a big deal because this is no worse how it was for XC2. Some ppl are making it seem like its worse than XC2 or in comparison to its original release the resolution is better. In either case depending what's important to you neither side is right or wrong. To me the only concern is if want to go with bad resolution is that Monoliftsoft should aim for better optimization by now but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they are saving it for a new new title not remaster of the same engine again. It's strange position, they could have room to improve but appears they did noting to much to modify the engine for this game.

I don't feel Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had an excuse for looking the way it did undocked as a first year Switch release. Breath of the Wild, ARMS, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey were all also year one, were all new games and didn't have such a noticeable difference in how they looked between play styles. I also don't agree with ChiGuy about a Switch Pro because of Monolith Soft's struggles with their own first party releases. From what first party releases I've played, they're the only team that has struggled. It seems that they need help to get to a place of better consistency. Switch Pro could be useful for getting third party releases at better quality though. 

If this were a new Xenoblade game, I would probably skip the release. It looks improved over Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Torna, but also not at the performance level of pretty much the rest of the system's first party releases certainly the ones I've played. Only because it is the original Xenoblade Chronicles am I fine with being burned a little on the performance side when it comes to handheld play. 

@IU

SwitchPro comment

I wonder how real a SwitchPro might be.  I mean, the only thing I can even say would be similar would be the 3DS vs. N3DS.  I had both versions, and what I can say is games wise for my library, the games ran the same, but the 3D processing power of the N3DS (and the screen too?) was a NOTICEABLE difference.  I used the 3D a lot more with the N3DS because it was easier on the eyes and the optimal holding position.

I wonder how much improvement they would actually make in the processor though....  I can see streamlining for even more improved battery life, I could see more ram to make things run smoother... but anything drastic might need to be held off till Switch 2.

@purple_beard

The upgrade from Nintendo 3DS to the New Nintendo 3DS is what I generally realistically expect with a Switch Pro. The improvement would likely just be to get everything to a smoother performance between docked and handheld play options. In general though, whenever Switch Pro is talked about, to me it sounds more like a Switch successor than the usual upgrade revision. 

You know what, I'm just gonna accept this game as a modest visual fidelity overall. After watching a bunch of videos similar like this before this one, I have come to the conclusion that outside the gameplay being excellent there are still positives in the visual with its previous iterations. That and I think ppl who are just bandwagoning had too much expectations on the visuals of this game and I fell into that trap a bit. I'll admit it, I know the value this game offers and that is not lost on me but I made this visualgate blur my vision in what's really important the game itself.

Come at me Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, I was lost but I now I really see you for what are a game and gameplay first.

The most spoiler-y they release yet.

My workset pre-order has not shipped yest. I excepted from last night or even sometime today because I know I won't get the same day even if it shipped yesterday to some degree.

I've seen on reddit that those who PO'd few earlier than me from EBGames on March 28th getting their orders cancelled. So far mine isn't and my account was charged on the 27th so I wonder if EBGames is just trying to sort out what orders are cancelled and which will ship because normally I would of got a email the night before release. I feel bad for those order that got cancelled especially since they did there's before me. I don't get how theirs got cancelled and mine for now is still a go. Quite difficult way to feel I could be next but should I feel lucky and if I am when is gonna ship?