Massive Nintendo leak? Not clickbait from the looks of it

13 hours ago, Juanblue85 said:

Don't know if it is part of this leak but anyone here download the Super Mario 64 PC Port? Damn it sure it butter smooth. From what I hear the person made the source code from scratch but of course it is still using Nintendo assets so C&D is inevitable. I have since added it to my Steam library as a non steam game and with a simple click I'm game. I do still own my N64 Pak, Wii U download and DS cartridge versions of the game. 

It's definitely a coincidence that the port developer released it around the same time as the leak. It was said that they reversed engineered the code in order to create the new source code, then port it to Unreal. The reverse engineering I'd imagine took a lot of time. And not it's just using the assets, but it recreated the whole damn game. Amazing feat, but its C&D is coming, yes.

As for the leak, first Valve's, then Naughty Dog, and now Nintendo. Just whoa. Not to mention the hacked accounts. The gaming industry as a whole isn't have a good time in regards to these.

Edited by avalonknight
2 hours ago, avalonknight said:

As for the leak, first Valve's, then Naughty Dog, and now Nintendo. Just whoa. Not to mention the hacked accounts. The gaming industry as a whole isn't have a good time in regards to these.

You know what is so funny about this? Is that these leaks were gonna happen despite the worlds situation but also because of that this kind of news in gaming will be highlighted more. Add to the fact that most ppl have a lot of free time to do whatever so matter how you look at these hacks they were inevitable, it's just the focus of certain news or lack of variety, put certain headlines in the spotlight much longer than normal.

Just watched a video by Modern Vintage Gamer, and he brought up a good point on the legality of using the leaked assets for emulation. While it can be used to further the quality of emulating the leaked platforms, using what is effectively stolen assets will endanger whichever emulation group using it. Even the team behind the Dolphin Emulator tweeted a reply regarding this. 

Edited by avalonknight
1 hour ago, Pichi said:

@purple_beard do you honestly think it was hacked systems that put Sega out of the hardware business and not the bullshit that they pulled on retailers with the Sega Saturn and Sega of America's idiocy in marketing the Dreamcast? cmon dude honestly

OK, no, I don't think that pirated games were the ONLY reason that Sega, once they hit the Dreamcast era, caused their downfall, arguably it started with all the hardware add ons for the Genesis with the 32x and Sega CD stuff.  But I do think that once the DC games got cracked that that accelerated their downfall.

On 5/5/2020 at 8:07 PM, purple_beard said:

OK, no, I don't think that pirated games were the ONLY reason that Sega, once they hit the Dreamcast era, caused their downfall, arguably it started with all the hardware add ons for the Genesis with the 32x and Sega CD stuff.  But I do think that once the DC games got cracked that that accelerated their downfall.

I've said it before. If Priracy was truly as prevalent of a problem in 99 (it wasn't, can you imagine sharing Iso over AoL? Plus CD burners were ludicrously expensive) the system itself wouldn't have had it's sales impacted. Hell, "free games" would've probably moved units. It's the games' sales that would've suffered. But it wasn't just the games, the console sat on store selves too.

Pretty much. One of the things that XBox Series X and PS5 have pushed to various degrees is a huge backwards compatibility lineup throughout their generations. Something the Switch kinda does with S/NES Onilne, but not to the effect of Virtual Consoles of the past. Nintendo should look into it, it is a possibility for like a "Switch 2" or something, though the WiiU would be the toughest to do.

Hey now, I am fine with the argument about Nintendo releasing older games via some way or another for their systems as their back catalog is totally worthy of that.  The WiiVC was mesmerizing with all the consoles and games it offered and Nintendo hasn't approached that level since.... but also since then they have done NES Classic, SNES Classic, NSO, and 3rd parties have decided to get their own cut of classic gaming with their own collections.

I wonder if they should consider a specific legal team and development team separate from those who work on "NEW" games to get all that retro content out there.

At least from the XSX and PS5 comparison, releasing a USB disc drive attachment that can play Gamecube, Wii, (maybe WiiU due to dual screens) through software emulation would be great. Though the Switch would have to be dock only for it to actually work, attaching through the USB-C port would be a hassle for on the go.

• 2 weeks later...