Sign in to follow this  
purple_beard

Web Cam shopping tips?

My laptop has one already (and the mic)....its functional but... for my desired purposes I want one nicer....

I've been tossing around looking into one to use on my PC.  I've been asking myself and looking for answers to the following:

-In this ideal world I am living in, I would need some sort of video capturing software to record the video(and edit)

-I assume the preferred set up is cam with a separate mic( desktop?)

*I've seen some that it looks like the mic is built into the facade of the camera itself.

*How good or bad would one setup be to the other?

*How big of a deal would it be to go the headset with mic route?

*I think I want to pass on the headset style.....

I would assume 1080p cameras would be ideal, with 4K ability being the upgrade tier

*I'd probably not go 4K as for what I'd want to do I don't think it would matter that much.

Not sure on budget level yet.....   and based on average prices I have seen when looking.....

Ideal <= $100  .....performance and value make it so <$200 is not out of the question....   anything >$300 probably prices me out right now, I don't think I'd be into it that much to think about spending that much at this time.

Side convo to the above....

Say I have music ripped to my computer already... better to use that than youtube videos unless of course I want the video to be in the video in a sub window?

For the blue/green screen stuff I have seen on youtube, will any blue/green screen work...  or do you need the actual photographer quality ones.

I assume this would be software suite related but what about the graphics, subtitle, titles, intro clips, ect.....

Posted (edited)

the Logitech c920 is the standard webcam for streaming/video making. there's a built-in mic but those are usually bad so don't worry about actually using it. if you're wondering, the typical good quality mic is the Blue Yeti, which is around the minimum you'll want for recording videos. beyond that, you get out of USB territory and into studio quality XLR mics like the AT2020. i got mine used for around $50. you could almost certainly find a good deal on a used c920 as well.

for greenscreens, the most important thing is to have a lot of lighting surrounding you on all sides so that there are no shadows cast on the screen. otherwise it won't work properly. as long as it's an even, solid color, i imagine anything will do. but the lighting itself can be expensive, so i don't recommend doing that right off the bat. just set yourself up with a clean, non-distracting background.
recording program: go download Open Broadcaster Software
editing program: you'll want Vegas or Premiere or something. they're probably dumb expensive still so torrent them unless you hate yourself. i've seen open source video editors but i don't know if they're any good. doubtful

Edited by Pichi

@Pichi

Thanks for some answers, and from what you said, I take it that the cams don't come with a capturing/editing suite?

I've seen those Yeti mics.

*I might look at my Windows stuff to see if they still do Windows Movie Maker or if the software pack I got with my external dvd/br burner offers recording and editing.

movie maker... exists. you can do very little with it. if you're thinking of doing a proper youtube video where you need to put a lot of things together, or even just many takes, it's rubbish. if you just wanna start out, i suppose you can use it. any prepackaged software is gonna be about the same.

22 minutes ago, Pichi said:

movie maker... exists. you can do very little with it. if you're thinking of doing a proper youtube video where you need to put a lot of things together, or even just many takes, it's rubbish. if you just wanna start out, i suppose you can use it. any prepackaged software is gonna be about the same.

Not surprised.  I'm not sure how deluxe I want to go.  Probably because I haven't decided on a format....  My sports talk and my music "reaction/review" have a lot of weight with me right now...  I also kind of use two different handles, one for all the sports sites I use, and the other for video game/music.