Switch is good...but can it run Crysis?

The "but can it run Crysis" memes will surely see a resurgence now that a remaster of the original is on the way for all current platforms including Switch.  There has been some impressive wizardry pulled on Switch thus far thanks to the efforts of some really talented studios that have put in the work and elbow grease to make those things happen, but if the hype is to be believed then this is gonna be quite the project.  Granted, the original Crysis released around the mid 2000s so the potential for it to set the next bar for Switch software in terms of technical feats is certainly up there.

Reading some of the article out there on the announcement it seems like it will be in good hands as Saber Interactive already has experience on Switch and were also the team that brought over The Witcher III.  They also recently confirmed that they'll be bringing over World War Z which their CEO has already stated is the hardest thing that they've ever had to do

Still, a really surprising announcement from last week and I'm looking forward to seeing they manage things on Switch.  It'll be my first hands on exposure to Crysis after all these years so I'm hoping for good stuff!

To somewhat explain the whole "Can it run Crysis?" joke, one of the things that Crytek did is try and futureproof itself as best it can, predicting where computer technology will go, so that it'll look better and better as you get more and more powerful computers. But it wasn't meant to be. In a nutshell, still in a world of single core CPU (I think multicore CPUs were just getting started), they thought it'll go 5Ghz, 10Ghz, stuff like that. Nope. We now have multicore CPUs of still around 3-5Ghz. But more cores equals faster, right? Not really, Crysis will still only see and use one core, since that's what it knows, and therefore computers still struggle to run it at max settings to this day.

Now with the remaster, and also updated engine, let's see how it runs.

(Also noting Crysis PC ran CryEngine 2, the 360 port ran on CryEngine 3. They are up to CryEngine 5 now.)

Digital Foundry has a better technical explanation (and all those graphical technical breakdowns as well. Whoa.) 

Edited by avalonknight
  • Chrom featured this topic

For all the memes about Crysis's graphics I feel like I rarely heard about how good the game actually is, but it has a 91% on Metacritic, so it must've done something right (even if it was just being really, really ridiculously good looking). I wonder if that experience will translate well to the Switch though, where the graphics won't be able to shine as much,.

On 4/19/2020 at 4:08 PM, avalonknight said:

To somewhat explain the whole "Can it run Crysis?" joke, one of the things that Crytek did is try and futureproof itself as best it can, predicting where computer technology will go, so that it'll look better and better as you get more and more powerful computers. But it wasn't meant to be. In a nutshell, still in a world of single core CPU (I think multicore CPUs were just getting started), they thought it'll go 5Ghz, 10Ghz, stuff like that. Nope. We now have multicore CPUs of still around 3-5Ghz. But more cores equals faster, right? Not really, Crysis will still only see and use one core, since that's what it knows, and therefore computers still struggle to run it at max settings to this day.

Now with the remaster, and also updated engine, let's see how it runs.

(Also noting Crysis PC ran CryEngine 2, the 360 port ran on CryEngine 3. They are up to CryEngine 5 now.)

Digital Foundry has a better technical explanation (and all those graphical technical breakdowns as well. Whoa.) 

I watched the video that you posted earlier today and it was pretty informative hearing about a lot of that especially from a member of their team that is a big fan and has a dedicated gaming history with the franchise as a whole from the outset.  I am curious though, if their latest engine is CE5 is that something that the consoles will also be running?  Is that something that we have any evidence that the Switch will run?  I know they jokingly brought up CE3 with regards to Wii U since Sonic Boom utilized that engine.  Even so, no doubt there will be some concessions with the Switch version but I'm curious if they will be drastic, almost experience altering concessions or would it be a "basically, the whole game is there" kind of situation like we've seen with games such as Doom and The Witcher 3?

On 4/19/2020 at 8:49 PM, Eliwood8 said:

For all the memes about Crysis's graphics I feel like I rarely heard about how good the game actually is, but it has a 91% on Metacritic, so it must've done something right (even if it was just being really, really ridiculously good looking). I wonder if that experience will translate well to the Switch though, where the graphics won't be able to shine as much,.

With never having played any Crysis game one thing I always thought going around that more than just graphics it was a pioneer in other areas like enemy A.I. and such.  Not that I ever really knew that and even watching the DF video that Avalonknight posted it doesn't seem like that's the case.  But kind of what I was touching on in my response to Avalonknight hopefully the game is mostly there so that the general experience is still intact.  As long as it's not a situation like Far Cry Vengeance on Wii compared to other versions of that same game prior I think it'll be fine. (I remember when Far Cry Vengeance was announced I wanted to get it... then it launched and... yeah)

14 hours ago, Kezay said:

I watched the video that you posted earlier today and it was pretty informative hearing about a lot of that especially from a member of their team that is a big fan and has a dedicated gaming history with the franchise as a whole from the outset.  I am curious though, if their latest engine is CE5 is that something that the consoles will also be running?  Is that something that we have any evidence that the Switch will run?  I know they jokingly brought up CE3 with regards to Wii U since Sonic Boom utilized that engine.  Even so, no doubt there will be some concessions with the Switch version but I'm curious if they will be drastic, almost experience altering concessions or would it be a "basically, the whole game is there" kind of situation like we've seen with games such as Doom and The Witcher 3?

Well, we do have a CE3 game on Switch (though not sure if it was upgraded to a newer one), and it's Warface. It looks like it's performing decently there. (Sonic Boom was a hot mess behind the scenes, originally a 360/PS3 game, then the Sega/Nintendo contract, and that CE3 had no official support on WiiU. Just oof.) One of the things Saber had said for Witcher 3's Switch port, is how they created custom shaders specifically for it, and have done some more graphical work on id Tech as well. So I'd imagine they'll do the same here.

The devs that are doing the port of Crysis on Switch is Saber Interactive.

Little background of what I know of them; they developed the game NBA Playground that came out on the Switch, they followed that up by porting MK 11 on Switch (I don't see any sources of this but I recall a few weeks before the game out that NetherRealm Studio assisted them) and then that fall The Witcher 3 and now Crysis.

I'd say these guys have quite the resume to pulling off ports like they did last year so tho there is doubt about Crysis running a Switch but with those games listed, I think these guys are up to the task and we seen the games and in some case hardly the sacrifice to get these games to run on Switch.

Never played the original but I like to support studios who do their all to make the impossible possible on Switch.

• 2 months later...

I had to look harder than I thought for this thread.  I didn't realize this was way back in mid April!  But a trailer was posted up on the eshop apparently... and then the team said the game is being delayed (all platforms) for additional polish and a later re-reveal presumably with a new trailer.  I'm guessing there was some miscommunication or someone jumped the gun?  Either way, the trailer is still floating around out there.

Can Switch run Crysis?

Well...

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen videos of how Crysis look on the original consoles in a long while so I don't have a good reference of how good the above looks like.

If I had to be honest, it looks like a really really good Far Cry game with all the features they showed off in the vid above.