If the Nintendo Switch has downloadable Wii U titles...

Sun

Nintendo Switch and Wii U titles  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What should Nintendo do?

• Sell at full price, regardless of whether or not you own it.
    • Sell at full price, with option of getting it for free if you can prove you already own it on Wii U.
    • Sell at full price, with option of a discount if you can you prove you already own it on Wii U.
    • None of the Above, no downloadable Wii U titles period.
  2. 2. If discount, how much should the title be discounted?

• 10%
    • 15%
    • 20%
    • 25%
    • 50%
    • 60%
    • 75%
    • 90%

Provided Nintendo even offers downloadable Wii U titles on the Nintendo Switch in the first place, which option would you be the most comfortable with?

If I could have added a poll to a post in the Nintendo Switch topic, believe me I would have done that. y;

Edited by Sun

It should just be a simple matter of having the game registered to our NNID, and then getting the game for free. But the best case scenario is we'll be paying a discount if we already own the game. y;

It's also worth noting that option 2 would be easy to abuse among consumers. But maybe physical games do have a unique ID number that distinguish it among other copies.

Edited by Youngster Joey

Secondary question now added to poll.

1 minute ago, Schmengland said:

I'd say USD$15.00 per game would be fair. Maybe USD$20.00, for hit titles or titles that were released towards the end of the Wii U's mainstream support lifespan.

Sounds about right.

Wii U titles should be avail to download for $19.99 and if you already own it then they should be free, and if it's an upgraded port, you shouldn't have to pay full price for the upgrade if you already own the game.

The above is ideal and good for the consumer. Can't see anyone disagreeing.

Nintendo has 3.4 million "early" adopters they must please.

Edited by LUIGITORNADO
5 minutes ago, Zero said:

I'd say the $19.99 price point is reasonable as well.  However, I wonder what storage capacity will be available for the Switch.  Nintendo hasn't exactly had generous options included to entice a lot of full game downloads without purchasing an external hard drive.

Honestly, since the Wii U and 3DS allowed for much larger storage capacities beyond what Nintendo made standard with them I never saw a problem with it.  When the time came, I picked up an external drive with far more capacity than I would ever need for the Wii U which was nice.  This time around is a bit tougher because I can't exactly have an external drive just hanging off the unit if I'm out and about using it as a portable.  So if it does have expandable memory I wonder how they'll go about it. Yeah, there's always SD cards but you have SanDisk who has a 500GB SD card that retails for hundreds of dollars whereas I bought a 500GB drive for my Wii U for less than the cost of a brand new game. The pros and cons on that don't exactly scale together all that well to say the least.

4 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

Can the tablet and TV even be used at the same time?

From everything they've said so far, no. The tablet needs to be docked to use the TV since the dock only exists for that purpose. I do believe they've said that the dock has no extra processing power and is just the means to get the picture on the tv. 

3 hours ago, Kezay said:

Honestly, since the Wii U and 3DS allowed for much larger storage capacities beyond what Nintendo made standard with them I never saw a problem with it.  When the time came, I picked up an external drive with far more capacity than I would ever need for the Wii U which was nice.  This time around is a bit tougher because I can't exactly have an external drive just hanging off the unit if I'm out and about using it as a portable.  So if it does have expandable memory I wonder how they'll go about it. Yeah, there's always SD cards but you have SanDisk who has a 500GB SD card that retails for hundreds of dollars whereas I bought a 500GB drive for my Wii U for less than the cost of a brand new game. The pros and cons on that don't exactly scale together all that well to say the least.

I know I'm spoiled by my PS4 for having that much storage standard so I expect it now.  You do bring up a good point about gaming on the go and external storage, I'm still thinking of the Switch as strictly a home console only.  Nintendo !ay surprise me with how much flash storage they cram into it too.

Interestingly enough, Nintendo denied being able to use physical copies of the Wii U and 3DS titles in Switch, however they did not outright deny digital copies either.

I suppose the above questions would also work for 3DS titles as well, of course both Wii U and 3DS titles would have to be overhauled to work on Switch I would imagine.