Nintendo Direct Mini 3/26/20

24 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I heard about that but that's not too upsetting for the Bioshock collection as those are 3 huge games, sort of split on how they went about Boarderlands. The one to be really offended by is X-COM. Damn, I just hope outside of the DL they performance are worth this additional cost if anyone goes physical.

The highlights for me were Shinsekai: Into the Depths, Clubhouse Games and the ARMS fighter announcement for Smash. Xenoblade is Xenoblade, but I don't think it needs an epilogue story that appears to occur on Bionis which makes no sense considering the game's end. I would have wanted the Bionis Shoulder to just be an extra region that could add story depth/lore but otherwise have little impact within the game's main story. It's still my most wanted upcoming game though regardless. 

Shinsekai: Into the Depths looks like a game inspired by traditional Metroid, and it looked very unique to me. I'm waiting to see what the general feel for the game is from reviews on the Switch version before I make a decision. 

I received the original DS Clubhouse Games for Christmas last year and have really enjoyed my time with the game. Clubhouse Games on the Switch seems like an even better package with more variety especially in terms of action games. I'm looking forward to it later this year. 

The best announcement was the ARMS character announcement for Smash, given that ARMS is my favorite game on the Switch and Twintelle is my second most wanted character for Smash. Twintelle has a real shot, but I think Min Min has the strongest case in the roster. As excited as I am now though, this fighter could become a major disappointment for me come the official reveal in June. It could also be the best reveal Ultimate has had in my opinion. Either way, I'm looking forward to talking about the representation. I'll either be playing a lot more Smash or a lot more ARMS come June. 

Edited by IU

I'm glad we saw Xenoblade, and that extended epilogue looks amazing. I've read interviews with Tetsuya Takahashi that revealed how they ran out of time and couldn't tell all of the story they wanted to at the end of the first game, such as Fiora's transformation back into a homs. I love when visionary storytellers get a second chance to do what they couldn't before. And from what I can tell from the trailer, it heavily implies that it'll explore the existing connection to Xenoblade 2

Bravely Default II looks all kinds of fun, as well. Though I still haven't finished the first one and never bought Bravely Second. Still I have plans to try the demo and eventually pick up the game.

Aside from those two, this Direct just didn't have a lot for me. It had been long enough since the last Direct that I had started to hope we'd see some more heavy-hitters like Metroid Prime 4. I was particularly disappointed with the Smash announcement. ARMS characters creep me out, so I wasn't exactly pulling for them in Smash. But this character isn't for me. It'll make ARMS fans happy, and I'm happy for them. Next time, let it be Rex! 

Boy they aren't kidding when they said the Bravely Default II demo would be challenging—I almost got wiped by normal enemy mobs once or twice, and I did die against the boss. Came back at him with a few more levels and a specific battle plan in place though and it went smoothly.

Overall it still feels like the Bravely Default I know and love, though some little gameplay adjustments are a little odd. Character turns come whenever their speed dictates instead of choosing everyone's action at the beginning of each turn, which actually makes planning a lot harder, especially budgeting braves and defaults. And I actually don't like that monsters are now visible in the overworld instead of being purely random encounters. BD's random encounter slider was already the perfect solution, now it's much harder to avoid battles, especially since monsters seem to respawn quite quickly.

I really appreciate getting 10 days with ARMS after enjoying the demo events. But playing through the Grand Prix, now I see why nobody bought this game. It truly feels like it was made to be as unfair and infuriating as possible. Even "easier" challenges like breaking targets against Byte and Barq feel like I'm playing against That Kid on the playground who has every superpower, including immunity to all other superpowers.

42 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

I really appreciate getting 10 days with ARMS after enjoying the demo events. But playing through the Grand Prix, now I see why nobody bought this game. It truly feels like it was made to be as unfair and infuriating as possible. Even "easier" challenges like breaking targets against Byte and Barq feel like I'm playing against That Kid on the playground who has every superpower, including immunity to all other superpowers.

the-coon.png

:D

2 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

Boy they aren't kidding when they said the Bravely Default II demo would be challenging—I almost got wiped by normal enemy mobs once or twice, and I did die against the boss. Came back at him with a few more levels and a specific battle plan in place though and it went smoothly.

Overall it still feels like the Bravely Default I know and love, though some little gameplay adjustments are a little odd. Character turns come whenever their speed dictates instead of choosing everyone's action at the beginning of each turn, which actually makes planning a lot harder, especially budgeting braves and defaults. And I actually don't like that monsters are now visible in the overworld instead of being purely random encounters. BD's random encounter slider was already the perfect solution, now it's much harder to avoid battles, especially since monsters seem to respawn quite quickly.

I played some of demo haven't made to the boss yet but yeah, I've died twice in the desert but I feel it is because the that choosing each characters action based on speed is tripping me up. I default for fun when once I get how to damage the enemies. I blame TMS #FE and the round character/enemies indicating who will attack, lol.

Also only does the enemies spawn fast, (which is not too bad to me) but they run to damn fast. Maybe because this a demo is why they are on the screen but we can hop they bring back random encounter back with frequency adjuster in the next demo before the game releases. I also suggest button for defaulting, like the shoulder button were used like that in Octopath Traveler, why can I use the left trigger to do that to make the battle go smoother and faster.

Other than that I think that's the improvements they can make, that I played so far. 

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

Not to take away from your personal dissent about the game, but it sold over 2 million.

28 minutes ago, Kezay said:

Not to take away from your personal dissent about the game, but it sold over 2 million.

The top 30 on Wikipedia shows that the only big Nintendo games which didn't outsell it have been Mario & Rabbids, Captain Toad, and Yoshi's Crafted World, despite it being one of the earliest releases with a hefty marketing campaign. I also say this because it fizzled quickly and didn't offer much lasting appeal.

Becoming the first free trial game outside of Japan is probably due to the Smash announcement and exercise for quarantine. But its sales must've been so stale that Nintendo didn't think they'd be worth waiting even a day to let everyone play it for free.

31 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

The top 30 on Wikipedia shows that the only big Nintendo games which didn't outsell it have been Mario & Rabbids, Captain Toad, and Yoshi's Crafted World, despite it being one of the earliest releases with a hefty marketing campaign. I also say this because it fizzled quickly and didn't offer much lasting appeal.

Becoming the first free trial game outside of Japan is probably due to the Smash announcement and exercise for quarantine. But its sales must've been so stale that Nintendo didn't think they'd be worth waiting even a day to let everyone play it for free.

I'm just talking raw numbers here in reference to the idea that "nobody bought this game".  At the end of the day two million plus is not an insignificant number despite how many more millions that other first party Switch titles have sold.

2 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

ARMS definitely has a steeper learning curve than pretty much any other 1st party game I've played on Switch. What difficulty did you jump in on and what's your control set-up? 

42 minutes ago, IU said:

ARMS definitely has a steeper learning curve than pretty much any other 1st party game I've played on Switch. What difficulty did you jump in on and what's your control set-up? 

I don't remember a lot, but I think in that first demo they put out, I was feeling Mechanica(?), Helix, and Springman the most.

15 minutes ago, IU said:

Level 5, motion controls with a custom button for blocking, and I was winning most of my matches in the Test Punch demos.

But no matter what, challenges like Hedlok aren't made to be fun at all. The only way to play against that boss is long-range defensive stall, which also means he gets the full +200 HP every time a power-up drops and I have to stall even longer. It was miserable.

I'm looking into highly competitive stuff now and seeing how unbalanced the roster is, too. I just jump around as my bottom bitch Ribbon Bitch, but top tier Springtron's traits will paralyze me from anywhere and deflect my punches without having to commit to anything. Bleh. If only I'd put my focus into a character with more potential, like Thicc Bih 4 Smash.