Konami about to sell off some franchises?

It's an interesting idea, but I'd be surprised if Konami (a former video game company) chose to part with any of their beloved IPs. After all, what else are they gonna put on their pachislot and pachinko machines? 

That said, I hope the purchase comes to pass. Getting those IPs out of Konami's hands is the best thing that could be done for those series' futures. After all, Konami's been content to just sit on them. Or, in the case of Metal Gear, rush out a broken, busted up time-waster that demands real-world currency at every turn. There's no reason to believe any further offerings from Konami (a former video game company) will be any different. But imagine a new big-budget Castlevania from Sony!

Edited by Laclipsey
1 hour ago, Laclipsey said:

It's an interesting idea, but I'd be surprised if Konami (a former video game company) chose to part with any of their beloved IPs. After all, what else are they gonna put on their pachislot and pachinko machines? 

That said, I hope the purchase comes to pass. Getting those IPs out of Konami's hands is the best thing that could be done for those series' futures. After all, Konami's been content to just sit on them. Or, in the case of Metal Gear, rush out a broken, busted up time-waster that demands real-world currency at every turn. There's no reason to believe any further offerings from Konami (a former video game company) will be any different. But imagine a new big-budget Castlevania from Sony!

Like Lords of Shadow but bigger? I don't think Castlevania of all things needs to become some big budget blockbuster series. Those other franchises I'd be fine with Sony having, but Castlevania I hold too near and dear to want to become a potentially PS exclusive IP and no longer multi-plat. Plus have no doubt it'd make the Belmonts harder to secure in a future Smash since Sony isn't exactly chummy with Nintendo like Microsoft.

2 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Like Lords of Shadow but bigger? I don't think Castlevania of all things needs to become some big budget blockbuster series. Those other franchises I'd be fine with Sony having, but Castlevania I hold too near and dear to want to become a potentially PS exclusive IP and no longer multi-plat. Plus have no doubt it'd make the Belmonts harder to secure in a future Smash since Sony isn't exactly chummy with Nintendo like Microsoft.

Not exactly what I had in mind. Think Bloodstained but less buggy. Maybe on a grander scale than the Castlevanias we've seen before. I know how divisive Lords of Shadow was, and I can't say I'm convinced that a big 3D adventure is the best direction to take the series. I am certainly not suggesting Castlevania go open-world. *shudder shudder*

I hear you about Castlevania no longer being multiplat. I'm just trying to point out that the tradeoff is that we don't get any more new Castlevania. A lot of us Castlevania fans have made our peace with not having another game, but I think we'd all welcome a new one if someone decided to make it. And Konami sure ain't in a hurry. 

Now that you point it out, I'm not sure which I'd prefer. If Sony buys it, the availability of the old Castlevania games on non-Sony hardware gets thrown into question. If Konami keeps it, we stay in Castlevania limbo forever. Pick your poison, eh? 

Edited by Laclipsey