COVID-19 APOCALYPSE THREAD

EH_STEVE

I feel so bad for you, Ty… first your trouble with you best friend and now your sister getting Omicron. :( 

Did you manage to talk to your friend a bit more, by the way?

———————

Shifting gears a bit… I would really like to vent a bit as well, if that’s cool.

My family is being torn apart by this Covid stuff, echoing others on here. I had a huge fight with my parents in the summer, and my wife’s brothers have hopped thoroughly onto the anti-vax/anti-health-measures bandwagon. The latter has caused a great deal of drama in the house for many reasons… not all related to Covid, but it is difficult. Luckily they don’t live with us and we rarely see them… but they showed up the other day maskless, and it was difficult to keep the kids a reasonable distance back from them.

For context, my daughter is 4 and not yet eligible to get her first dose of the vaccine. She has underlying lung issues that has led to multiple ER visits, and so presents a particular risk with an airborne illness like this. I am extremely mad at them and at my father-in-law for not so much siding with them as just being difficult because the rest of us don’t feel comfortable around them.

My anger over their selfishness and hypocrisy  also feeds into my general agitation with the political climate in Canada that has been escalating (thankfully slowly overall I think) as conspiracy nonsense has leaked up here from the US, becoming popular especially among disenfranchised conservatives. 

Add to that another traumatic incident my wife and I went through from the summer that we’re still dealing with as a raw issue, and I am just getting so… tired. Of everything…

2 hours ago, DranSeasona said:

I feel so bad for you, Ty… first your trouble with you best friend and now your sister getting Omicron. :( 

Did you manage to talk to your friend a bit more, by the way?

All I've been able to do is use Facebook's "hide post" feature whenever he shares anything anti-vax.

Unrelated, but he now unironically believes in that stupid soyboy meme and made a celebratory post when he successfully went for three months without soy or caffeine.

I can only hope that he never discovers /pol/...

2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Unrelated, but he now unironically believes in that stupid soyboy meme and made a celebratory post when he successfully went for three months without soy or caffeine.

oh my god lol...

How does he feel about cow's milk, that actually has estrogen in it lmao

On 12/16/2021 at 3:32 PM, EH_STEVE said:

Our province just reported 287 new cases. This is our highest single-day case increase since the last wave, which was 227 cases.

The day after this we had 394 new cases, then 426 cases, then 476 cases. It's spreading so quickly here.

I got a rapid test before seeing Spider-Man (negative), and they sent me home with two take home tests I'll use before seeing any family this weekend.

These past few months have been pretty insane.

We went into lockdown in NZ in August, and only came out of it in Auckland a few weeks ago. Thankfully we're back down to pretty low daily case numbers, and we've only had 49 deaths total since the pandemic began. All-in-all the country's fared extremely well, but the ongoing outbreak has still been tough.

My family back home in the US has had it rough, meanwhile. I've lost count of how many people tested positive, but three of them were hospitalised/ventilated, and two of them unfortunately passed away. One of the deaths was a breakthrough illness, and that one really stung.

My cousin also gave birth while infected with Covid, and her 34-year-old husband is sick too. He went to the hospital with pneumonia. They've gone pretty quiet since then, so I'm not really sure how they're holding up.

Then on top of all of this, omicron's absurdly high infectiousness has been insane. We still don't have any omicron cases in the community in New Zealand, but we have a dozen or so cases in quarantine from international arrivals. New Zealand's gradual border reopening has been severely delayed again, and they outright cancelled the recent room release for MIQ (managed isolation and quarantine) slots after initially delaying it for 24 hours.

It's all been quite a lot to process, really. It's been over 3.5 years since I've last been able to see my family, and I'm still not sure when I'll have the opportunity to see them again. Covid has been brutal. I've been personally lucky to not have to worry about it for the vast majority of the pandemic, but it's all hit all at once since August.

Had to get vax card copied at work, they are most likely doing this because of looming government regulations.

NHL, NHLPA start holiday break early due to COVID-19 concerns

NHL players will not participate in 2022 Beijing Olympics

NHL passing on Olympics and taking a break because of flare ups.

Adam Silver: NBA has ‘no plans’ to pause season amid COVID-19 surge | NBA.com

NBA staying on course...

NFL having all kinds of rescheduling issues because of covid flare ups... and playoff breaking scenarios for teams.

College football having all kinds of covid related news:

College Football Playoff champion can be crowned via COVID-related forfeit, new policy states (espn.com)

Texas A&M Aggies pull out of Gator Bowl college football game due to COVID-19 issues, injuries (espn.com)