COVID-19 APOCALYPSE THREAD

EH_STEVE

Not to get all paranoid but today at work manager(s) came around to their departments asking if associates wanted to get in on the different vaccines.  I told mine " no, not at this time."  Then kind of explained my reasoning as the vaccines, IMO, seemed kind of coming in on a rushed timeline without much long term/side effect details.  Also, as soon as they hit then all those variants popped up.  NOTHING was mentioned about anything being tied to working there but on our local news a few nights ago a local restaurant was requiring associates to get the shot(s) and any new hires would have to be vaccinated before they could work there.

I know a few people in my immediate circle did have discussions of the thoughts about will vaccines be tied to staying employed/employment.... and also the vaccines coming to be and all that kind of jazz I mentioned above.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

Not to get all paranoid but today at work manager(s) came around to their departments asking if associates wanted to get in on the different vaccines.  I told mine " no, not at this time."  Then kind of explained my reasoning as the vaccines, IMO, seemed kind of coming in on a rushed timeline without much long term/side effect details.  Also, as soon as they hit then all those variants popped up.  NOTHING was mentioned about anything being tied to working there but on our local news a few nights ago a local restaurant was requiring associates to get the shot(s) and any new hires would have to be vaccinated before they could work there.

I know a few people in my immediate circle did have discussions of the thoughts about will vaccines be tied to staying employed/employment.... and also the vaccines coming to be and all that kind of jazz I mentioned above.

I'm honestly curious if this is something they can enforce.  That being said, I have similar concerns as you regarding my job.  So far they've been pretty understanding of various circumstances so that we feel safe and heard regarding our concerns.  However, they pushed hard for people to head back into the office in September and at first were very stonewalled on people remaining working from home unless they personally had a condition that made them at risk or lived with someone who was.  They pride themselves on the in office culture/experience and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they tried to implement something similar in an effort to once again push people back into the office.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

it takes barely any time to research what the vaccine is and how it works. this skepticism is just covid denial lite and delaying the vaccine is stupid.
it's literally just a fragment of the virus rna so your body develops a strong immune response. there's no fucking reason to be scared of it.

11 hours ago, Pichi said:

it takes barely any time to research what the vaccine is and how it works. this skepticism is just covid denial lite and delaying the vaccine is stupid.
it's literally just a fragment of the virus rna so your body develops a strong immune response. there's no fucking reason to be scared of it.

With a longer test cycle I'd be less cynical.

Oh, heh, on my local news tonight that restaurant owner changed his stance from mandatory to recommended/optional but he is keeping the $150 gift card bonus if you do.

As far as my job goes it's not required but they were trying to get a list up so they could negotiate appointments for people and considering our work hours that's not a bad idea.

Edited by purple_beard

In a interesting turn of events, my job did apparently get enough people interested and they are offering us to get the J&J vaccine this Friday on-site at the plant.   This is a "if interested" sign up but if we get the shot we get a $100, free Chic Fil A Sandwich, and enter a drawing for a 25 pick-em to get an additional $500.

Conversations after the morning meeting between coworkers is "this sounds like a bribe...."  Then all the usual skepticism thoughts about "these vaccines sure did come about soon" "J&J has had some lawsuit issues with their products" "how would this play out if you say know and then get covid at work or otherwise...."

On 3/12/2021 at 9:33 PM, ace said:

Imagine getting paid to be vaccinated. Where I live it's a long battle to even get an appointment. 

TRUE...

That was also kind of a factor in my thinking....

Granted in my local area I haven't seen too many local tv stations or print media saying we were having issues on demand/supply or in other words not the crazy long lines with very little vaccine to be given out, and I live walking distance from my city's vaccination drive-thru.

I was going to add, as far as all the paranoia about side effects, allergic reactions, ect....

Like i said i got the J&J version and I personally have no known allergic reactions to anything but a few things I noticed after getting my shot:

Shoulder was sore where they stuck me for about 20m but nothing real severe.  Wasn't fully un-sore till about 24hrs later roughly.

At about 11-12 hours after being shot (7:50am till around 8pm+/-) I started to feel something, not quite sure if it was a mild fever or what--like my skin felt warm ( I wasn't sure if it was somehow related to being near 80 here and I was in shorts shooting a night game and the temperature drop in the evening or ___) but when I got home I could tell it was more I my skin was warm--not quite fever status.  I got a headache the next morning around 24hrs after the shot....took some BC...in about an hour I was good....

In short, nothing I'd deem crazy or eventful...just some things I experienced.

On 3/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, purple_beard said:

I was going to add, as far as all the paranoia about side effects, allergic reactions, ect....

both vaccines function by prompting your body to undergo an immune response for a fragment of the coronavirus's genetic code and create antibodies to be much more effective at combating the actual virus if you come into contact with it in the future. it's normal to feel some effects of an immune response as if you were actually sick.

• 4 weeks later...