COVID-19 APOCALYPSE THREAD

EH_STEVE

1 hour ago, chickadee said:

oh really? i was wondering if I'd be eligible since I've been in Canada a year now...ive been unemployed for a year too tho so i wonder if that matters y;

we could use the money here but i do think ill be sending some of it to my mom and older brother

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/coronavirus-checks-direct-deposits-are-coming-here-s-everything-you-n1168936

42 minutes ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

I got to play CAH with my parents, even though my mom hates the game for some reason. And SHE won. 

Before all of this, I never got to play with them a lot. Or go to the park a lot too much. Sometimes going rock bottom actually shows the best things in life. I don't know if that's true for everyone though. 

Kinda funny there.

31 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Virginia 

Nice. Not sure how long we in Michigan will have to deal with ours given Detroit is looking to be another bad area, as FEMA has taken over the local convention center and thereby causing the North American International Auto Show this year that was set for June 

4 hours ago, Fuzzer1 said:

Nice. Not sure how long we in Michigan will have to deal with ours given Detroit is looking to be another bad area, as FEMA has taken over the local convention center and thereby causing the North American International Auto Show this year that was set for June 

What really sucks is that my county has the most cases out of any county in the state and my area, The DMV (D.C., Maryland, & Virginia) is likely to become one of the next hot-spots. :( 

Edited by alienboyva
On 3/27/2020 at 11:17 PM, purple_beard said:

Lockdown started/starts today.  It will be interesting to see how my town looks.

Observations from going around town the last few days...

Gas stations had pulled their cups for their soda fountains, and I believe coffee too.  So its the bottles behind the refrigerator doors.

At a local grocery store they made some stands and had probably 3'x3' lexan/Plexiglas/plastic shields in in them to screen the cashiers from customers.

*My brother said that sounded similar to how Lowes had their stuff done.

Schools in my province are closed until May 4th as of this afternoon and last night all recreation centres and parks are closed until further notice. I'm glad they finally decided on the outdoor parks. Sorry to hear about the schools still closed further.

There's a lot of concerns why government keeps pushing the dates of school closure instead of just outright closing the school. Their answers is they want to be hopeful and be realistic with what our medical professionals are saying we should close such service. We are still debating if construction workers should be one of those service to stop business right now.

On 3/30/2020 at 5:20 PM, Fuzzer1 said:

Michigan is looking bad, or perhaps more specifically southeast Michigan is getting hammered.  Of the 9,315 cases statewide, 4,470 cases are in Wayne County (Detroit) and 1,910 and 1,088 cases are in Oakland and Macomb counties, the 2 suburban counties north of Detroit.  The state has the most cases of any state in the Midwest, Illinois is next at 6,980.

Obviously what’s happening in greater Detroit pales in comparison to what is happening in metro NYC.  Dear god.

Edited by Triforcemaster3
20 hours ago, Triforcemaster3 said:

Michigan is looking bad, or perhaps more specifically southeast Michigan is getting hammered.  Of the 9,315 cases statewide, 4,470 cases are in Wayne County (Detroit) and 1,910 and 1,088 cases are in Oakland and Macomb counties, the 2 suburban counties north of Detroit.  The state has the most cases of any state in the Midwest, Illinois is next at 6,980.

Obviously what’s happening in greater Detroit pales in comparison to what is happening in metro NYC.  Dear god.

I was looking at this data earlier today and it was rather frightening. Michigan is one of the states with the highest number of Covid-19 cases per capita. It rose incredibly quickly and is still significantly above other US states. Sadly it's still hard to say exactly how prevalent it is given the general lack of testing.

The latest data from Johns Hopkins for the top 25 states.

United States - 245,601

New York - 92,743

New Jersey - 25,590

California - 11,126

Michigan - 10,791

Louisiana - 9,159

Florida - 9,008

Massachusetts - 8,966

Illinois - 7,697

Pennsylvania - 7,345

Washington - 6,595

Georgia - 5,444

Texas - 5,253

Connecticut - 3,824

Colorado - 3,728

Indiana - 3,038

Ohio - 2,920

Tennessee - 2,825

Maryland - 2,331

North Carolina - 2,041

Missouri - 1,817

Arizona - 1,766

Wisconsin - 1,748

Virginia - 1,708

South Carolina - 1,558

Nevada - 1,484

Looking at this it’s clear just how grave the situation is in the New York City metro area.  92k cases in New York, of which 52k are in NYC and another 30k are in the suburban counties of Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk.  Some of New Jersey’s cases are in the south near Philadelphia but the majority are in the north near NYC, Bergen, Essex, Union, and Hudson counties all have over 2k cases with another 5k cases listed as unassigned.  

But turning to the rest of the country, many of the states are close to where you’d expect them to be in rank based on population.  California (3rd in cases, 1st in population), Florida (6th, 4th), Illinois (8th, 7th), and Georgia (11th, 8th) are pretty good examples.  States running behind in their response outside of the New York metro include Louisiana (5th, 25th), Massachusetts (7th, 15th), Michigan (4th, 10th), and Colorado (14th, 21st).  States running ahead relative to population include Texas (12th, 2nd), Ohio (17th, 7th), and Minnesota (33rd, 22nd).

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

Meanwhile, my little province is at 193 cases (11 have since recovered) with 5 hospitalized and 0 deaths. 7500 tests done.

Which province is that?  I’m guessing Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, or PEI

Canada as a whole has 11,284 cases, 14th most in the world.  I think Justin Trudeau’s early action to shut the Canadian border down to all but citizens was a very good move...reaping the benefits of that now.

Edited by Triforcemaster3