COVID-19 APOCALYPSE THREAD

EH_STEVE

I concur.

When Italy was closed off to the world, it was estimated that the US will be Italy in 10 days. The US was behind were Italy was at.

I think it was like 8 days later and there was nation wide emergency and yes all could of this could of been prevented like Italy if the commander-in-chief reacted faster and not blow this situation off.

Oh well, we're here now. 'C'est la vie'.

Genuine question here, but what's the point of an essential store like Safeway or other grocery stores reducing their hours during a pandemic? Doesn't that just mean that more people will be in the stores at once due to reduced open hours, thereby increasing the risk of infection? Am I missing something here?

It's a catch 22.

We cannot shutdown all sustenance and medical needs so the compromise is to limit the hours but on the other side we as human don't always see the bigger picture to realize that this will make things just as bad if we had the same hour because if there's something we need, discretion sort of goes out the window.

Damned if you do limit the hours and damned if don't limit the hours.

48 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Genuine question here, but what's the point of an essential store like Safeway or other grocery stores reducing their hours during a pandemic? Doesn't that just mean that more people will be in the stores at once due to reduced open hours, thereby increasing the risk of infection? Am I missing something here?

As somebody who works in retail (or worked before my store closed yesterday), remember that there are people who work in the store that are there hours before it opens and hours after it closes to prepare and we're likely understaffed for safety sake so we have less people to operate the store.  Stores likely want to conserve payroll and operating hours because we simply do not have enough people working and not enough people shopping to justify it.  The amount of freight that the store gets has not increased or decreased and in a lot of cases will sell through regardless of how long it's open, and it's likely getting delayed so early morning crews have to wait until later hours to push it.

Edited by Edie Napier
1 hour ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

The only good thing I’ve got through this is that I’ve gone to my local park a lot more than I ever did before this.

I hear you.  Cabin fever along with sitting at a computer all day makes me want to get outside even more... Been doing more bike riding and walking....  I can't couch potato during the day too well.

New Zealand had 14 new cases, now 53 total. Community transmission cannot be ruled out; a couple of cases were not linked directly to travel.

The government has given the official recommendation that places need to "work differently" now (e.g. work from home where possible). I have been working from home for the past 2+ weeks already so this does not directly impact my day-to-day, although I may be helping other coworkers set up their work-from-home capabilities now.

They essentially laid out an alert system with four levels. We're at alert level 2 right now, with level 3 being lockdown, and level 4 being extensive lockdown. This coming week will confirm whether there has been any further spread within the community.

18 minutes ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

Well... it was fun knowing I had a job before this happened. 

... Heck, even local theaters might be screwed out of that. Wait, they’re nonprofit anyways. 

Its like, there has to be a better way....  cold turkey shut down of anyone's economy for the length of time they are talking about can really destabilize a country.... and that's not even getting down to the individuals caught in the middle with simple need money to pay bills side of it.

Let’s say 50% of the population gets this disease, which we’re on track for. Half of 327 million is 163,500,000. And lets say the actual mortality rate for COVID19 is around 1%. 1% of that is 1,635,000. That’s almost a million more deaths than all US war deaths IN HISTORY.

But really it’s no problem we shouldn’t be shutting down businesses. 

Businesses should be allowed to adapt to the situation, but if they can't or unwilling, then shutdowns need to occur especially as numbers continue to grow. I don't feel comfortable with how my employer has been handling the situation. There's no customer limits for entering the location nor is social distancing being pushed to become a part of daily work routines among co-workers. I think pick up and delivery needs to be more considered in place of in-store shopping. 

I was a little concerned this past week after I had started experiencing soreness in my lung and chest area along with some body fatigue after vomiting twice last Monday night. I ended up thankfully just being diagnosed with a viral bronchitis that hasn't been too hindering as my coughs have stayed relatively normal. I've been at home nearly the entire week steadily getting back to feeling 100%. 

Also if hospitals get overloaded all at once it would be a lot more deaths. A decent percentage of people who get coronavirus need to be hospitalized and then you have other people with other unrelated health issues that wouldn't be able to get help from a suddenly overburdened healthcare system.

It's likely that most people will get the coronavirus but if you slow the spread of it over a longer period of time then the healthcare system is better able to handle it and help everybody.

1 hour ago, IU said:

Businesses should be allowed to adapt to the situation, but if they can't or unwilling, then shutdowns need to occur especially as numbers continue to grow. I don't feel comfortable with how my employer has been handling the situation. There's no customer limits for entering the location nor is social distancing being pushed to become a part of daily work routines among co-workers. I think pick up and delivery needs to be more considered in place of in-store shopping. 

I was a little concerned this past week after I had started experiencing soreness in my lung and chest area along with some body fatigue after vomiting twice last Monday night. I ended up thankfully just being diagnosed with a viral bronchitis that hasn't been too hindering as my coughs have stayed relatively normal. I've been at home nearly the entire week steadily getting back to feeling 100%. 

Damn. Well if you found out you ever did have COVID-19, I read that you should take some sips of water every 15 minutes, because even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down your throat and into the stomach. Once there, stomach acids kills the virus. There might be some more recent info I'm not including too, but tend to mostly just see tips on avoiding getting the virus rather than what to do if you already have it.

As far as me, got to take a current leave of absence from work since I still live with my parents, who would be among the least likely to survive the virus if I somehow caught it and it was passed on to them. Just catching up on my game backlog which I would rarely have this much time for otherwise. My cat had recently passed away prior too at the worst possible time, so needed this kind of time spent for the time being.

Once all is said and done with this outbreak and we're past it, I hope the Chinese government faces some kind of punishment for this and that most other countries go down hard on them for fucking the world, intentional on their part or not by not letting others know about the virus ahead of time.

36 new cases in New Zealand, with 102 total. Over half of cases today were from travel; almost all were from travel or close contact; two were unknown and are being treated as community transmission.

Our prime minister is going to address the nation again soon with regards to our alert level, which will likely be raised with this information. We will likely be going into lockdown.