COVID-19 APOCALYPSE THREAD

EH_STEVE

20 hours ago, Kodiack said:

Eight new cases in New Zealand. That's a 66% increase. Twenty total now.

Meanwhile, my company just announced a pay freeze today, as I was immediately due for a significant pay review next week. Horrible timing and I'm frustrated, but I'm still in a position to weather all of this.

Just be glad you're not in some countries in EU or the U.S.. All 50 states in the U.S. have now been infected (see below). :(  I heard on my local news that in my area 'The DMV' (DC, MD, VA area) the are 194 cases. Though at the beginning of the month, someone in my town was infected (Technically not my town, but that town is only like a minuet away, so it might as well be). Then a few days ago I heard that some at a school in a town a few minutes away from my town was infected. I'm not sure how many ceases there are now in my county. Yeah, this is starting to get scary. Schools, bars/restaurants, malls, etc. are starting to be shutdown or are already shutdown. I had to go out Sunday afternoon and there was like nobody on the roads. ...Very eerie!

How long until the entire country goes on lockdown (Let's hope it doesn't come to that point)?

🔗https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/coronavirus-u-s-map-where-virus-has-been-confirmed-across-n1124546

ZzZsADN.png?1

The image below (tho not as devastating as the states most hard hit states) from official Canada government website, show nationwide how many confirmed cased in each province, possible cases and overall confirmed and possible cases.

V-Update.thumb.png.bf768f7ccd3204286e860ee36b37ff3e.png

As I mentioned before I live in the province of Ontario and one of the biggest cites in Canada too. I swear yesterday BC has 150 confirmed cases and now they caught up to us.

I'm fortunate to be working in medical IT. They laid-off the dental staff, which is scary . But I'm worried for my mom and dad who may be without work. They'll probably be depending on my paycheck and savings for the near future.

I'm concerned about the economical impacts more than the virus itself. It's surreal that we went from joking about the virus a few weeks ago to people losing their jobs left and right. We were blind-sided by this, and needless to say, our current administration continues to be a joke when we need help the most.

3 hours ago, Youngster Joey said:

I'm fortunate to be working in medical IT. They laid-off the dental staff, which is scary . But I'm worried for my mom and dad who may be without work. They'll probably be depending on my paycheck and savings for the near future.

I'm concerned about the economical impacts more than the virus itself. It's surreal that we went from joking about the virus a few weeks ago to people losing their jobs left and right. We were blind-sided by this, and needless to say, our current administration continues to be a joke when we need help the most.

I kind of feel you on that first point, my issue is I went into being jobless right before all the closings started going down... so right now I am good for about 3 months of pay/benefits to keep money in the bank but by the end of month 3 I have to have a job starting up....  And with all the closings and what not, its like I am starting to wonder if that is why the apps I have put out I haven't been contacted back yet.

As to part two there....  yeah, the economic impact of this is going to be crazy from hourly workers in a lot of jobs/professions to even pro sports leagues ... like no one is untouched economically by this.  Now I am not a Trump supporter, but I'm not quite a Trump hater either.... and with how unique of a circumstance this is, I can't say he woulda/coulda/shoulda done stuff sooner/too late for this situations.  It will be interesting to see how this economic stimulus they might do will work.  Then, would people actually spend it for new activity or pay off debt they have accumulated during the period.  Kind of like that Obama stimulus a few years ago.  I took my money to pay off some debt.

In a completely unrelated to the above portion, I want to discuss this:

Monday/Tuesday I went out grocery shopping with little to no issues in my area  Wednesday/Thursday my brother and I went to try to get some stuff and man.....  at the Walmarts and Food Lions we went to it was like the apocalypse.... NO paper products, almost no meat in the deli section...and I mean from sandwich mean to just some ground hamburger...., NO bread, almost no milk.....  I mean damn....   Its crazy...

Edited by purple_beard
1 minute ago, ace said:

If you don’t see how trump could have handled this better you’re a fucking moron 

Like what could he have done?  Even the CDC has had issues....    And some of the supplies needed for testing Trump can't make magically appear.  I mean, aside from travel bans, which he has kind of done, and the working with congress on stimulus options....  

Until the CDC/medical community in general can come up with some vaccine/miracle cure/shot to kind of inoculate/cure those infected  *OR* the supplies needed for checking people for it can get out there more there really isn't too much more to do other than these lockdowns.

New Zealand's borders are now completely closed to everyone except citizens and permanent residents.

We still haven't had any confirmed community transmission. If we can keep it under control for another week or two, there's actually a distinct possibility that we may be in the clear until vaccines can eventually be distributed.

Just now, Kodiack said:

New Zealand's borders are now completely closed to everyone except citizens and permanent residents.

We still haven't had any confirmed community transmission. If we can keep it under control for another week or two, there's actually a distinct possibility that we may be in the clear until vaccines can eventually be distributed.

Literally ten seconds after I posted this I got a notification that someone in my office building (from a different company) tested positive.

Whelp...

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

And some of the supplies needed for testing Trump can't make magically appear. 

So I thought I saw that Trump was tested negative for this I saw this during my Googling.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-latest-news-2020-03-18/

Okay I do hate Trump but at least he did something.

How Trump has handled this has been done poorly but at least he ain't ignoring this completely. 

Edited by Kirbymeister2
10 hours ago, Kodiack said:

Literally ten seconds after I posted this I got a notification that someone in my office building (from a different company) tested positive.

Whelp...

I get that....

On a road trip to cover a baseball game word came down about the team we were scheduled to play as a weekend series had cancelled due to their conference cancelling all spring sports.  We were in the car and joking at our coach tweeting out to anyone that needed a weekend series to hit him up.  Some of the tweets he got were funny.  By the time we arrive to the opponent's campus the changes to the NCAA basketball and spring sports were coming in.... and then while I was working on the gallery the NBA cancellation stuff came down.... it was surreal to say the least.

don't forget that these confirmed cases are a hilariously small portion of the whole, because we have absolutely no testing.
trump and the CDC refused to acknowledge the problem for as long as they possibly could. widespread testing as soon as february would have been the proper option
instead, the US is on the way to look like Italy instead

44 minutes ago, Pichi said:

don't forget that these confirmed cases are a hilariously small portion of the whole, because we have absolutely no testing.
trump and the CDC refused to acknowledge the problem for as long as they possibly could. widespread testing as soon as february would have been the proper option
instead, the US is on the way to look like Italy instead

Italy is going to look like small potatoes compared to us.