E3 cancelled

12 minutes ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

Okay, but what NOW? Will we get the news about upcoming games like Nintendo Direct? Or I should say HOW? This is a new direction for all companies. 

I got no idea because I bet there is a lot of logistics to get people there from all the companies that attend and then you have the booths and kiosks to set up too....

And somehow direct videos on a random date from a bunch of different companies can make stuff get lost in the shuffle if no one really knows when to look and how to focus.

I'm glad the ESA came to their senses and made the call themselves instead having publishers dropout. It is always best for the folks running the event to make the call not the RVSP dictate the cancellation of an event.

Yes this is sad but had to be done, if they did and lets say publishers didn't dropout, you can't take the risk of ppl health. Especially with that state in state of emergency.

As for what form E3 will go seems pretty obvious, they must have all shows be digital, they say they still gonna have E3 next. I wonder with this turn of event will realize that whatever they have planned for next year should take a page of what they do this year as some sort of digital. E3 is losing relevancy and right now tho this does not help but might be some sort of blessing in disguise to revamp E3 for the better.

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

They already tried this once before in 2007-2008 when they made E3 for businesses-only and replaced it with "E for All" for the general public. By 2009, they just merged them back together.

E3 will be back by about 2022.

To be clear, E3 has been cancelled for this year due to health concerns surrounding the Coronavirus. E3 as a whole hasn't been cancelled. Yet.

I'm sure this wasn't completely surprising news to the major publishers, and according to this Polygon article most of them are already planning/considering a digital showcase or livestreamed event. I think the real question at this point is whether or not they release these digital events/streams at the same time to piggyback off of each others' hype or if it would be more advantageous to spread them out over weeks/months and get a bit more of a spotlight focus. If they go with the latter and it's successful it could definitely impact the future of E3 as a whole.

4 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

They already tried this once before in 2007-2008 when they made E3 for businesses-only and replaced it with "E for All" for the general public. By 2009, they just merged them back together.

E3 will be back by about 2022.

That wasn't the same thing.  They still intended on having a showcase of sorts and maintaining the client side business meetings that usually happen behind the scenes at the show.  To that end they aren't cancelling E3 outright, it's only for this year because of the COVID 19 pandemic.

Anyway, read a bunch of rumors of this potentially happening last night but still kind of shocking that they actually went through with it.  But it makes sense especially with how easily a single person can be come a vector for the virus amidst a crowd of people.

11 minutes ago, Pichi said:

is there anything E3 even offers nowadays that you can't get through a live broadcast other than hilarious and/or secondhand-embarrassment inducing gaffes?

For consumers not really, but it's worth remembering that E3 is still a trade show and has been a venue for business and networking between members in the industry (particularly indies). Cancelling the event is a lost opportunity for more growth and connections which ultimately sucks.

I think it's probably never returning to the glory days of yesteryear, but I think it can still have a place like other events like Game Developers Conference or Tokyo Game Show. Or at least I would feel more confident in that, if it didn't have that damning leak scandal from last year...

Chrom is right about business and networking meeting with publishers and developers for E3. It is easy forget when you are not in the industry to see that stuff behind closed doors.

An example of that is when Starlink battle for atlas was coming to Switch without Reggie we wouldn't have StarFox in the game if that wasn't discussed with the developers.

I'm curious what this means for Treehouse streams?  Granted, Nintendo always had their digital E3 showing for some years now but their showing up to E3 with the Treehouse segments were still significant and often looked forward to moments of their E3 presence.  I suppose maybe they'll just do them from NoA instead?

Nintendo Treehouse had streams at their headquarters a few time outside of E3. The only thing that will be tricky is that their streams at E3 would of have 3rd party guests on there to. So either their streams would mostly stick to Nintendo games or with careful planning with guests can schedule time to come to Nintendo. I don't see that latter scenario too out of the ordinary as a lot indie devs and stuff must come in and out their headquarters.

I am glad they went ahead and cancelled it.  This pandemic is nothing to be joking about.  You got Italy so overwhelmed that they have their entire country on lockdown and they are having to make crucial decisions on who is going to live and who is going to die right now.  If the U.S. and Europe don't get this under control, in the next 2 weeks we could be in the exact same predicament with not enough hospital beds or ICUs to treat everyone.  That is the real scary part is just not having the space or staff to treat people.  That being said I am sure they will  do Directs or  online stuff.   

CDC is saying it could last for around 60 days is what they are expecting but nobody really knows since we are sort of in unprecedented territory with nothing like this happening in over a Century.  That being said, I will be in my Game Room gaming while the rest of people punch each other out over hand sanitizer and TP.  I am good to go for at least 2 months in food, and a month with everything else.  University is closed until at least March 29th, so it is game time.  This Game Room is my sanctuary.  It is kind of messed up how a Pandemic frees you from things like school and work (I work at the school).  Just stay at home unless you absolutely have to go somewhere. I am going to be relaxing :).

6 minutes ago, Fuzzer1 said:

Bad call on many levels. It's an event in June and the coronavirus cases could easily be reducing to the point things get back to normal.

That and they could've easily done it in August if E3 wanted to still be in the summer.

Well, there is a lot of planning and organizing that needs to be done.

30 minutes ago, Fuzzer1 said:

Bad call on many levels. It's an event in June and the coronavirus cases could easily be reducing to the point things get back to normal.

That and they could've easily done it in August if E3 wanted to still be in the summer.

We don't actually know if coronavirus cases will be reducing over that time period.  It's for that reason that events even further out than E3 have also been cancelled or delayed a little further.  There's nothing easy about cancellations or even delaying events when it comes to large, organized venues like that.  There are a ton of things logistically that are happening before a yay or nay is even given on those kinds of decisions.

• 1 month later...