NFL and 2K get a long term deal

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105757/article/nfl-2k-partner-to-produce-multiple-new-video-games

I didn't know 2K didn't do NFL games.... but if this is the case.... what happens to Madden?  Seems odd the NFL would pit Madden against a 2K game covering the same league.  That said, I am not sure how MLB, NHL, NBA, and....  handle having two licenses for games in their name assuming they do of course have that issue.

17 hours ago, purple_beard said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105757/article/nfl-2k-partner-to-produce-multiple-new-video-games

I didn't know 2K didn't do NFL games.... but if this is the case.... what happens to Madden?  Seems odd the NFL would pit Madden against a 2K game covering the same league.  That said, I am not sure how MLB, NHL, NBA, and....  handle having two licenses for games in their name assuming they do of course have that issue.

I think EA had the license exclusively after NFL2K series went away.  It never used to be that way that EA had the license exclusively.  But this is pretty big news because of the implications behind it.  Mainly, it's competition for Madden which has gone uncontested due to exclusivity for well over a decade.

Nevermind, I spoke too soon.  I focused so much on the headline that I didn't read the body the first time around but the fact that this line exists...

"The games will be non-simulation football game experiences."

...means that EA still essentially has NFL exclusivity.  This just means that 2K can make arcade style football games (think NFL Blitz or something along those lines) using the NFL license.

Edited by Kezay
3 hours ago, Kezay said:

I think EA had the license exclusively after NFL2K series went away.  It never used to be that way that EA had the license exclusively.  But this is pretty big news because of the implications behind it.  Mainly, it's competition for Madden which has gone uncontested due to exclusivity for well over a decade.

Nevermind, I spoke too soon.  I focused so much on the headline that I didn't read the body the first time around but the fact that this line exists...

"The games will be non-simulation football game experiences."

...means that EA still essentially has NFL exclusivity.  This just means that 2K can make arcade style football games (think NFL Blitz or something along those lines) using the NFL license.

Yeah, I caught on Spawnwave about that caveat.  But like he was saying, it might light a fire under EA to do something versus sitting on their laurels.

We'll see, but as long as EA still remains the only company able to produce that specific type of game they still hold all the cards.  They could use the competition though; does NBA Live still exist as a franchise anymore?  I know 2K's basketball games still do and that one year when NBA Live had all these issues that was the opening 2K needed to go from a competitor to NBA Live to the preferred NBA simulation game of the two.

• 2 weeks later...