Found a Sega Saturn for $7! AND IT WORKS!

I wanted to share this amazing and exciting news.  I finally after 20 years of collecting video games have a Sega Saturn.  I have never come across one in my entire life that was operable and I have never actually played on one ever.  I came across this in my local Goodwill of all places.  It was just sitting there on a shelf and summoning me to buy it and give it a nice home.  For $7 (actually $6.00 after the military discount) I couldn't pass that up.  I could have gotten one at anytime by shelling out $50-$100 for a used one within the last 20 years but ever since I had any real interest in getting into it, it has always been notorious for being the MOST EXPENSIVE console to collect games for.  I think the average price is around $25 for a game and a lot of the popular ones run into the hundreds of dollars.  It is kind of a rich man's hobby if you are trying to complete an entire Sega Saturn collection (or even just getting all of the best titles ever made for it)

I am just doing what I always do, trying to eventually get at least the top 25 games for it.  I am already on my way.  A friend of mine just gave me a Strategy RPG for it called Mystaria: The Realms of Lore, I was able to get Fighting Vipers, Daytona USA, Virtua Cop, Nights into Dreams and Virtua Fighter for relatively cheap as well.  Now all I am trying to secure is a Light Gun and 3D Controller.  At some point when I have more money to play with, I will be getting an Action Replay as well so I can get into some of the importing scene.  Now the only Sega Console I do not have is the Master System, at some point in the future I will be getting one of those too.

89175321_10158196977021660_4835034969338281984_n.jpg

Edited by Irondog666
17 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Considering age and price, that is a steal...especially with it working.  How good of shape were the controllers?

Didn't come with any but still for $6, I can't really beat that.  I was able to get a white Japanese 3D controller for $10 and a white Japanese regular one for $10 as well.  They are both in really good condition.  Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of game time and been tethered to handhelds to get in my fix lol.  I am pulling insane hours at school right now.  I was seriously sick with staph infection for over a month and missed a lot of school.  This is Grad School btw and I have a Teacher's Assistant position here as well.  So I been really behind.  I am trying to get everything caught up by Spring Break (starts on the 16th) so I don't have to be dealing with all this crap.  I am about to be pulling an all nighter at my office at the school tonight.  I have a midterm tomorrow afternoon and a bunch of stuff due. 

So basically, there isn't much gaming going on in my life at this moment which is starting to make me very miserable.  So I can't wait to get it all done so I can kick back and play some retro stuff.  Like I said, I have never owned or even played on a Sega Saturn before, so this is a very exciting time for me.  I feel like when I was a kid and I first played an N64 or PS1.  I feel that way right now because the Saturn was always one that has eluded me for years and been very intimidating to get into with the prices being so absurd.  I have come to the conclusion as well that I am going to have to settle for Japanese imports on a lot of stuff to keep costs within reason (since many Japanese imports of the games are usually much cheaper then their US Counterparts) and going after loose discs. 

I have done custom casing before, so I am probably going to get some bit boxes or cheap DVD cases and just do the custom covers on coverproject since finding stuff in box is usually prohibitively expensive.  Hopefully next month I will have some extra money (that is as long as nothing else breaks in our house, Septic Tank and plumbing issues had me come out of pocket over $2000 this month).  I will make sure to share my work on here since I know you and Art definitely appreciate that kind of stuff.  Right now, it is just a grind.  

My only interaction with a Sega Saturn was when I was in middle school, our neighbors in the space next to us at our old apartment complex had one and we would play Virtua Fighter sometimes.  Outside of that I never had any real exposure even though it was a cool little system.  You pretty much found yourself a piece of gaming history for less than $10 which is a steal!