Favorite robotic characters in Nintendo games

Kezay

Yo, what up?

Like many videogames there are plenty in Nintendo's own stable that contain a wide and interesting variety of mechanized characters.  Everything from the waddling Mechakoopa from the Mario series right on up to the powerful Artifice Ophion from Xenoblade Chronicles 2; there are plenty to choose from throughout Nintendo's catalogue.

So without further ado, what are your favorites?

For me, I'm a big fan of the Divine Beasts from Breath of the Wild and in particular Vah Naboris. Just the idea of these giant, mobile, mechanical titans roaming around the environment is cool to see and in particular with Vah Naboris I remember how shocked I was when I came over a cliff and in the distance I see this huge robotic camel just chillin and walking around.

champions-ballad-divine-beast-naboris.png

Chibi-Robo! Just look at him! He's simplistically adorable. ^_^  I'd love to have my own Chibi-Robo running around and cleaning my house. Nintendo should work with iRobot (the makers of the Roomba) to release a Chibi-Robo version. :D 

Spoiler

Image result for chibi robot vacuum

Image result for chibi robo photo finder artwork

None of the previous games released lived up to the original on GameCube, especially that weird platformer spin-off on 3DS. Photo Finder was kind of neat, but it felt very limited and a bit repetitive with the the same 4 small areas to explore over and ever. I know it was a 3DS eShop game, but still. There was that 2nd game on DS (a direct sequel to the GameCube game) that was released only in JPN, which was the most like the original, but that too seemed to be a bit limited from gameplay I've seen.

Edited by alienboyva

@The Albraskan: You pretty much listed all the robot I would know for Nintendo. I would choose Ray MK II but I haven't played Custom Robo game.  So I have to settle with R.O.B. I have built a relation with it that if the it were no more all of sudden I would feel sad. So yeah R.O.B. is my fave Nintendo Robot.

2nd place goes to Chibi-Robo, like alienboyva says, he's adorable. He was the first Robot I thought of when I think Nintendo, anyways.

Also agree with Al the Divine beast as Robots but as someone who loves the Zelda series my bias should of chose them but like I said I don't see them as Robots. I obviously like their pilots more than their beast and there's particular pilot I like more than the other Champions, can any guess who that Champion is?

P.S. Kezay starting the thread with a, 'yo, what up?' I thought I never see the day.

Edited by DLurkster

DHFA8114.thumb.JPG.cfb93ace20c08169f9de3f71db2c55db.JPG

Weavel is my favorite if just by a slight margin. I do think he is the most fun to play as within Metroid Prime Hiunters with his mobility via the Halfturret split and how visually satisfying it is to assault rival hunters with the affinity Battlehammer. In terms of background, Weavel is a vengeful Space Pirate that didn't have the same blessed body as other Space Pirates that have been reconstructed after their defeat by Samus Aran. With nothing original left besides his brain and spinal cord, he had to get use to his new mechanical body and once again establish himself as a highly skilled member of the Space Pirates. I like that Weavel is an aggressive come back character. I like that he wears the results of what Samus Aran's actions can do. Weavel made Samus Aran more believable and her actions more significant. It's a layer I feel made Samus Aran's mission and perspective more serious and immersive. 

UYTZ4455.thumb.JPG.238a6f09c881f32955e8d6ed7776d263.JPG

Weavel is just a slight favorite because I love pretty much everything related to Mechonis in Xenoblade Chronicles when it comes to mechanical characters. Characters there are visually interesting to me with how complex their attire is. The black and gray fits the sleek, advanced machine vibes of that side of Xenoblade's world, while the oranges, teals and blues add the personality and elegance to these characters. My favorite character from Mechonis is definitely the new look Fiora. Fiora is right there with Samus Aran as one of my favorite female Nintendo characters with her arc in Xenoblade, if not already my favorite. 

TLVZ7952.thumb.JPG.5f42285680c66d26287d874ac7195cd6.JPG

Mechonis gave birth to some of the most epic boss battles and antagonists I've encountered in a Nintendo game as well. These characters that stood in the way of Shulk, his friends and the Monado all had plenty of build up to their encounters. That lead up in a way made each of these particular bosses feel like finales in their own right any time they were met. The arc for Metal Face in particular is one of my favorites from an antagonist. Each battle not only felt epic, but emotional with how personal some of Metal Face's actions were to some of the game's protagonists. Metal Face may be the only antagonist that I actually wanted to defeat outside of doing so for progression, and he accomplished that level of immersion early on. 

My favorite robots, android, cyborgs, whatever.  

10. G-L-A-D-O-S from the Portal games

Seriously, she's really sassy and sarcastic. 

9. Mettaton from Undertale 

-What a wacky robot!

8. Robo from Crono Trigger 

Aw, look how cute he is! And his story is really sad. 

7. Invader Armor from Kirby: Planet Robobot 

Its versatility is amazing!  

6. Bastion from Overwatch

-A robot that thinks it's a bird-brain! Cuuuuuuute. 

5. Poppi from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 

Does no one remember what she really was intended for? 

4. Dr. N. Tropy from the Crash Bandicoot series

He's an android, I think. Whatever. Cool design. And his races in CTR are the bane of my childhood.  

3. Jack from the Tekken series 

For me, personally, I'd go with Gun Jack. Just because I played Tekken 3 first. 

2. K1-BO from Danganronpa V3

KEE-BO! ... Sorry, couldn't resist. Also, don't insult him, or he'll call you robo-phobic.

1. Mega Man X from the Mega Man X series 

-Better than original Mega Man, and cooler. 

Honorable mentions: 

Barrett from FFVII. Not a robot, but has a robot arm. Same goes for Jax from Mortal Kombat. I'm not racirobophobic.

Cyrax and Ermac from Mortal Kombat. Never cared for these guys. And same goes for Fulgore from Killer Instinct. 

Someone from Cave Story. Didn't see that coming. 

Mega Man. I just like X more. And, in that vein, Zero came close. 

Genesect from Poke'mon series. Is it a robot? 

T-E-C from Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. Just... sorely under-appreciated. 

R.O.B. People don't care much about it nowadays. Except for Star Fox fans.  

Android 21. Or... is it? 

Warmech or whatever from Final Fantasy I. That one cheap boss. 

Metal Sonic from Sonic series. He's to blame for Sonic clones, if you think about it. And, the Hard-Boiled Heavies are fun.

Raiden from the Metal Gear series. He's an android now. Whatever. 

Any comic, anime, movie, and cartoon character. They're too easy. 

Seth from Street Fighter series. One of the worst bosses... Until maybe recently? 

Maxima from King of Fighters series. Don't really care. 

The Electrodes from Spyro 2. Voiced by Spongebob. 

Clank. Perfect foil for Ratchet.   

Ray MK models from the Custom Robo series. Shame there wasn't much of an audience in the West.

13 hours ago, DLurkster said:

@The Albraskan: You pretty much listed all the robot I would know for Nintendo. I would choose Ray MK II but I haven't played Custom Robo game.  So I have to settle with R.O.B. I have built a relation with it that if the it were no more all of sudden I would feel sad. So yeah R.O.B. is my fave Nintendo Robot.

2nd place goes to Chibi-Robo, like alienboyva says, he's adorable. He was the first Robot I thought of when I think Nintendo, anyways.

Also agree with Al the Divine beast as Robots but as someone who loves the Zelda series my bias should of chose them but like I said I don't see them as Robots. I obviously like their pilots more than their beast and there's particular pilot I like more than the other Champions, can any guess who that Champion is?

P.S. Kezay starting the thread with a, 'yo, what up?' I thought I never see the day.

Heh, I figured starting the thread that way would be interesting XD

Anyway, as for the Divine Beasts, while the thread title does say robotic I probably should have said mechanical like I mentioned in the body of my post since it seems robotic is conjuring a specific mindset around the kinds of characters most are suggesting.  If nothing else, the Divine Beasts are mechanical which is why Vah Naboris is what I chose; so sorry for the confusion there.

11 hours ago, Art_de_Cat said:

I always liked the robot from StarTropics!

I had to look this one up...that thing basically looks just like R.O.B.! Never knew that.

11 hours ago, IU said:

Weavel is my favorite if just by a slight margin. I do think he is the most fun to play as within Metroid Prime Hiunters with his mobility via the Halfturret split and how visually satisfying it is to assault rival hunters with the affinity Battlehammer. In terms of background, Weavel is a vengeful Space Pirate that didn't have the same blessed body as other Space Pirates that have been reconstructed after their defeat by Samus Aran. With nothing original left besides his brain and spinal cord, he had to get use to his new mechanical body and once again establish himself as a highly skilled member of the Space Pirates. I like that Weavel is an aggressive come back character. I like that he wears the results of what Samus Aran's actions can do. Weavel made Samus Aran more believable and her actions more significant. It's a layer I feel made Samus Aran's mission and perspective more serious and immersive. 

Weavile is a good pick.  I never played him as much in MPH but I always thought his alt form was pretty unique and the battlehammer was pretty powerful if you could manage the way it arcs well enough.  I really hope they revisit that one day.

Weavel I'm used to thinking of as more cybernetic than robotic, and thus Ghor was the first that came to mind for me with Metroid, but I guess he fits that mold too. Like Weavel more anyway.

Other than that, Metal Face easily. There's likely other examples from other series too that I'm not thinking of at the moment...

Ghor hadn't even crossed my mind until your post. With Metroid, I think the only other character that I thought about that I could see as loosely robotic was Mother Brain based on the Super Metroid appearance. You're right though. Ghor is probably the best example of a robotic character from the series, especially going on a strict definition. 

I originally was going to do a Top 5 before I realized how much I liked some of Xenoblade's characters in comparison to the rest of my list. Chibi-Robo was right behind Weavel and Fiora for me originally. I've only played the original Chibi-Robo and its sequel Park Patrol. Chibi-Robo took a backseat because it's more of a blank slate character, but I do love its purpose to serve to better life whether that be in a house with an odd family or at a park that has been neglected. Chibi-Robo feels like the Woody or Buzz of Nintendo's Toy Story without the stand out personality. 

The rest of my Top 5 were going to be Mike from WarioWare (mainly for his role in WarioWare: Touched!) and Byte & Barq from ARMS. Mike's microphone focused microgames were a nice change of pace from all the touch screen microgames that Touched! is named for, and it was interesting to see all the scenarios that could play out through use of the DS mic. Byte & Barq connect with me on a dog owner level and they're an obvious "good guy" character that's a nice pick to get immersed into a match against the likes of Dr. Coyle and Springtron. Based on their ending in the Grand Prix too, it is nice seeing how chill the pair can be when not on duty or putting in work in ARMS tournaments. The Seekie, Bubb and Cracker are a great base set of ARMS as well. 

Edited by IU
  • Chrom featured this topic
On 2/15/2020 at 8:19 PM, alienboyva said:

Chibi-Robo! Just look at him! He's simplistically adorable. ^_^  I'd love to have my own Chibi-Robo running around and cleaning my house. Nintendo should work with iRobot (the makers of the Roomba) to release a Chibi-Robo version. :D 

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for chibi robot vacuum

Image result for chibi robo photo finder artwork

None of the previous games released lived up to the original on GameCube, especially that weird platformer spin-off on 3DS. Photo Finder was kind of neat, but it felt very limited and a bit repetitive with the the same 4 small areas to explore over and ever. I know it was a 3DS eShop game, but still. There was that 2nd game on DS (a direct sequel to the GameCube game) that was released only in JPN, which was the most like the original, but that too seemed to be a bit limited from gameplay I've seen.

Ummm... Park Patrol did come out in North America, and is similar-ish to the GCN game.

I probably should have just reworded things from robotic to mechanical to encompass a wider range.  Even so, I'm actually surprised that some are finding it difficult to find many examples from Nintendo games.  Even Nintendoland had one which was your guide, Monita. :P

Also, here I am just realizing that Monita's name is essentially like "monitor" if you pronounced it like you were from Boston. XD

6 hours ago, Kezay said:

I probably should have just reworded things from robotic to mechanical to encompass a wider range.  Even so, I'm actually surprised that some are finding it difficult to find many examples from Nintendo games.  Even Nintendoland had one which was your guide, Monita. :P

Also, here I am just realizing that Monita's name is essentially like "monitor" if you pronounced it like you were from Boston. XD

Wow, I didn't know that from the start but I think I knew that 6 months after the game released. First your bro not noticing the shine sprite on the 1st place crown in MK8DX and now this.

You guys used to be on top of things, what happened?!?