Super Mario Bros 3 is 30 in NA today

My memories....

I had gotten a NES with SMB and liked it.   SMB2, with that whole new world/look to it amazed me.  But SMB3 when the commercials started to hit, and along with The Wizard hype was showing it would be a different and more expansive beast than the prior 2 games.  Around my way it was sold out a lot but I managed to get my mom to get me a copy from Roses, but the deal was I couldn't play it till my report card hit with the proper grades to be able to open it.  Lets just say I opened it on the DL and played late at night and had gotten to world 8 by the time the next report card hit.

Bullet Points:

Introduction of the Koopalings.

--Finally a cool way to have different bosses before the final one.  Their Air Ships, the Air Ship music, and their abilities were pretty cool.

World Maps

--To my knowledge this was the first game to do this for a platformer.  And then you could interact with the map.

Power Ups:

--Hammer Bro, Tanooki, Raccoon, and Frog suites really stepped up the game for power ups.  I found the frog the least useful.  And Hammer and Tanooki to be so hard to get its like you didn't want to lose them because of how hard it took to acquire them.  Then, to find out if you beat the bosses still having your power up you got different greetings.

The different themed worlds

-- All of which really stood out.  Giant World with the size changing mechanic.  Bowser's world with the dark music and tone.  Pipe Maze's never ending Piranha Plants.  Ice World's countless secret paths.  The desert world's angry sun and the hidden add on section.  The 2 parts to World 5.

Opportunities everywhere....

--White Mushroom Houses, Memory Card games, tiles at the end of stages in a match 3 game for the most 1ups, the coin ships, the mini-Mario Bros game in coop play.  You had to have that strategy guide with you for those card patterns LOL.

The enemy variety

--Spike, all the new Hammer Bro versions, Koopalings, Boos, Thwomps, .... so many new and interesting enemies.

Probably my favorite 2D Mario game of all time.  I just wish doing a no Warp Zone play through didn't take as long as it does or I would do it more often.

Wow, I thought this game is 32 yrs old but that's based in Japan. The reason I was so sure is that date of date game when it came out NA said 1988, that is the same year my younger sister is born. I guess as kid I paid more attention to that date despite after 1988. That is so weird I thought 1988 is the year it came out in NA, lol.

I feel so stupid for 30 yrs I thought this.

22 hours ago, Dancing Mog said:

All time favorite Mario game to this day. I was really bad playing as a kid cause it was hard for me to grasp certain things but it's been a while since playing so I might boot it up this week and play some.

Mastering flying was tricky and the timing on some of the auto scrollers in world 3 and 5 took some work for sure.