Why is the next Direct taking so long?

Vector

Road 96

Cris Tales. July 20th

Aztech Forgotten Gods

Keywe

Ender Lilies

Beasts of Maraville Island

Not too many things im sure I’d like or not, but a few things that catch my curiosity and will look into later on

But i am looking forward to Cris Tales - nice to see a final release date in July

Played the Demo on Steam and i quite enjoyed it - so looking forward to that one

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this but I think the below vid relates and explains the weird no summer general direct this summer.

We knew before the up and down no E3 this year that Nintendo starting from last year February, (when directs came back the year prior) a taste of what is to come in 2022. It slowly throughout 2021 showed us what 2022 may bring. (sans a Zelda release) Now comes the February direct of this year and we got more 2022 releases. At this point we knew of games but not when they will exactly release in 2022. So when the news of no E3, it was assumed Nintendo will have their usual direct during that timeframe. Whether it be no E3 or the Nintendo consumers knew the games to be release this year but not exactly when, Nintendo decided to provide week after week announcements this summer on Twitter is currently what they are gonna do. Nintendo will Nintendo. Despite this for me as we entered June, I knew what we had for games for 2022 but at the same time expected and wanted more information or new surprises. Once June came and gone, I came to the realization this is the path for now Nintendo will be on for the time being and Nintendo will Nintendo. So anything going forward will be taken with stride and not to expect what I think will happen.

The takeaway for Nintendo currently they will do what they think is necessary to provide information on upcoming games and again, Nintendo will Nintendo.

Will we have September direct? With the confirmation of E3 return for next year, will Nintendo have a direct then? I personally don't know, if Nintendo chooses they will change direction within their reason and shake up how we expect information to be shared via directs. We should accept that what may come from Nintendo and delivering info on upcoming games will not always be the same what we know it to be, the better received the info will be if one shape their minds over that.

15 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

On one hand they could have shown/announced all they really want to, on the other...probably holding back till botw2 gets nailed down...

What a way, summarize the juggernaut that is a general direct.

What you said may not be wrong but there's been no history in directs that information have been held back for one game even if it heavily anticipated or its Zelda. So to me that basis example makes no sense context wise as there no precedence ever for that. That is what dedicated directs are for specific games we got this past summer. Also, there never been a dedicated Zelda direct either, that may change with the lack of information and how highly anticipated the sequel to BotW is. History also show Nintendo show off Zelda news at start of the year, like February, March or April directs and always in June direct. There's been no history of Zelda reveals in September, game awards sure but they been absent there for a while now but like the dedicated Zelda direct and supposedly getting close to release we may see a reveal at the game awards this here. Here's hoping on that.

Also, I didn't bring this up or more explain why Nintendo chose to announce more game info as tweets is just base on the current president style, finances, timing, global logistics (aftermath of the pandemic) and what titles they know the consumer knows for 2022 but don't know when they will release in 2022.

I only focused on the latter as that is the most important part to focus and for some the former stuff may go over some ppl heads. So don't mind that I list them here but focus on we know the of the game titles of 2022 and Nintendo feel and chose to announce their games via tweets and what we may have to accept that going forward. As I said to me, it is better we accept what we get versus what won't and ppl being let down by what think they will expect base on the past. Nintendo can and will change things up if they feel they have to and that is all.

@purple_beard: True, when it comes to speculation with mini directs and game specific directs. We have already had a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Splatoon 3 one. Just like those previous iterations games, I suspect Bayonetta will get one too.

Any speculation beyond the parameters of mini and game specific directs, I don't think is close to guess what Nintendo will do. As mentioned before Nintendo clearly is taking this announcing things via twitter route for now. So it throws an wrench into again what we may expect or speculate. This is sort of uncharted territory for how Nintendo will share news next. To me as I said since June, it doesn't matter as long as we get news, it shouldn't really matter how we get but just get it.

And the whole point about we know all, this year is special that we know the games again but don't know the few exact release date. So there's a lot we know about the games, not so much when they will come out exactly. There's not much more we can know unless there's surprise release game in the next 4 months, that can be speculation. You can't speculate when all the suspects are here but just don't know when they will drop, that is up to Nintendo when they want to share that and how, whether that be a tweet, a mini direct, a game specific direct or a general. It is their call to discretion about.

• 3 weeks later...

Sound logic to me.

Tho, I am game whatever form a direct or if there's none at all. Nintendo is doing some weird thing when it comes to how directs happen now. Who are to judge, if or when a direct will come and its form. Regardless interesting logic formalize a direct next month.

Beyond November of this year, I don't recall Nintendo having any games upcoming besides "they could delay it again" Breath of the Wild 2 for Spring 2023. I imagine BCP Wave 3 will come in December to cover the month as Wave 2 has this month. It's bleak, but we all know that Nintendo is making games. It seems like the right time for a big Direct, with Nintendo being the focus, but I also thought that in June...so I'm not too hopeful that there will be an encouraging wave of news from Nintendo soon that'll start to set up next year. 

@Ithrak Utopia: Trust, I know that feeling of what you thought you know and for it to be turned on your head.

All we can is hope for the best and prepare for whatever form the worst is but honestly saying that makes those who expects Direct sound really spoiled and what they done to us for us to have so much expectations of them. Pretty much as I said Nintendo is really doing their own thing more than usual and come what may I will accept what happens or not. Not too different when a Direct happens and I don't put too much thought or expectations to expect. This is not too different in my line of thinking about expectations for Directs in general.

14 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

As much as I want that as a fellow Zelda fan. That is too good to be true. Like if we're gonna get a Direct, part of the Direct will be focused to those yet to be released Zelda rematered games on Wii U. We never had Zelda specific Direct ever, as we slowly approach BotW 2 spring 2023, I can't say with confidence we'll get one but I can hope for that but a direct focused primarily on Zelda I think is not gonna happen.

As for news on BotW 2, it is anyone guess like a direct. To me I think we're still too soon if we have been waiting this long for. There's a small chance it could show up at the game awards at the end of this year. Again as we slowly approach spring 2023 we gotta get news or a title reveal so the marketing for this game can begin early next year or at the end of this year if Spring 2023 hasn't changed.

Compared to other "leaks," I'm more optimistic that this one might be true. I'd trust (former) journalists over your average YouTuber--the former has necessarily networked with people who would have inside knowledge--and if the Direct happens to coincide with TGS (which, relatedly, is why we'll probably have a September direct), Nintendo will need another big release to market that isn't Splatoon 3 (which will be out by then)--BotW2 is a strong contender for that game. If Nintendo does move into BotW2 marketing mode, they'll need something between then and now, which TP and WW ports at least fit the bill of "smaller release that can happen alongside Pokemon."

Am I saying it's happening? Fuck if I know. But this has a more reliable source and a whole lotta more common sense than most Switch rumors.

Edited by Stephen 776
  • 9 months later...