Why is the next Direct taking so long?

Vector

That may be true and regardless where rumors sit with one coming the end of this month, I doubt to a reasonable degree that whoever tested positive Coronavirus at NOA are the ones who work on the directs.

With all the hysteria going on it easy to point to things as coincidences and this is not being ignorant of the fact could be true and it is someone who works on the directs or to be hopeful that it isn't. At the end of the day the only thing NOA is involves themselves with translator and minor editing. Most of the work is done at NCL and like everywhere else they most likely have precautions in case that their place of employment.

In times like this prepared or not it is best to remain calm, follow the guidelines and handle each situation as they come. Trying to predict what actions to take could be disastrous when it's important for all to be on the same page as precaution and prevention.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... am I losing all sense when it comes to direct heads up occur?

Outside the rumor and the situation in the world, if a direct was to come out this week, like Thursday it would be announced today or the lasted the day before. I'll even say it could come out Friday so we might hear the drop on Thursday.

With Nintendo annual financial meeting at the end of this month, besides answering investors question about Nintendo future outlook for 2020, a direct would help paint that picture a little better? I wouldn't be think of this if it wasn't April next month and they have that meeting next week.

We have direct in April but unless I was wrong we had one some months before. This will be a first I believe we have direct this late in the year to start the year?

I wonder what is really up?

5 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

... And it still wasn't the direct that 1st party fans wanted, but I'm fine with this for now, given the circumstances.

Same here. It's not that I wanted nor expected more 1st party titles but outside the situation of the world; game dates were shown even tho they are ports of games ppl already probably own, its coming to Switch and the option is there to purchase it there, if you like.

• 4 months later...

Wasn't sure whether that warranted its own thread, so bumping this one for that purpose.

This kind of callout vid isn't atypical of sensationalist Sterling who I only ever watch on and off, but afraid he makes some fair points there. Regardless of the cases one can make about Nintendo fans clowning/trolling themselves though, don't see how you can really excuse the company's current output and lack of transparency/communication, which has been in the state it's in for awhile and others have put out more on average despite COVID.

The occasional shadow drops can be nice, but still.

That was me for sure last week but to say I've been like that the whole direct hype generation began with Nintendo would be a lie. I became a bit entitled slowly throughout this year, I' say it hit its peak last month. The only reason I'm not making expectations get to me is Nintendo's announcement of Pikmin 3 Deluxe for Switch. It's weird that since early this year of rumors of new Paper Mario, Pikmin 3 Deluxe release and the possibility of 35th anniversary collection of all the 3D Mario titles coming out this year, is where I am gonna give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt the 2 rumored games have been confirmed and one them released.

I also knew and I hope most knew like with everything else in the world, covid have turn the world upside down so whatever plans Nintendo had were in a tizzy a well. I just didn't anticipated that it would be this long in the tooth. When compared to the rest of the video game industry, they were affected by covid by many factors but in the last 2 months have shown that they can still share news. It's ironic where Nintendo used to do that and now the rest is doing what Nintendo normally does, share news via direct.

So yeah, we can understand times are tough but when you see the industry doing what Nintendo normally does. I for matter get taken on tali spin were I can tolerate waiting but to certain point. But as I said as funny as it is now to have that behind me, the announcement of Pikmin 3 Deluxe, I believe despite Nintendo odd silence they know what they doing. Plans change and rumored games coming to light so that's enough for me to keep me in check, believe it or not.

@Ridley PrimeTo be honest, I think Nintendo is understaffed.

Based on how I am seeing Monolith Soft credited in random games these days (did you know they helped with Animal Crossing?), and including how much of a crutch they were relying on them for BotW, it seems apparent to me that Nintendo is making particular business decisions to not staff appropriately, perhaps to increase profit margins? Just a thought.

If they are in fact understaffed, that would explain why they are not able to put out very much in terms of game announcements, since they would in fact be tied up mostly with what we’re already aware of, give or take a couple surprises.

2 hours ago, DranSeasona said:

@Ridley PrimeTo be honest, I think Nintendo is understaffed.

Based on how I am seeing Monolith Soft credited in random games these days (did you know they helped with Animal Crossing?), and including how much of a crutch they were relying on them for BotW, it seems apparent to me that Nintendo is making particular business decisions to not staff appropriately, perhaps to increase profit margins? Just a thought.

If they are in fact understaffed, that would explain why they are not able to put out very much in terms of game announcements, since they would in fact be tied up mostly with what we’re already aware of, give or take a couple surprises.

With Monolith Soft and Breath of the Wild in particular that has multiple accounts on their role being to help with designing large, open environments.  It's more leveraging their experience and skill in this area than being short staffed.  No word on what their role with Animal Crossing was but it's not the first time Nintendo has had cross team development assistance.

Though you do hit on something interesting because one of the reasons Retro Studios was asked to help with Mario Kart 7 was because there wasn't enough staff at EAD to do it completely in house (more or less) like they usually do.  However, it was more due to the number of titles EAD was involved with developing at the time rather than the studio inherently being understaffed.  One reason noted was that development of Skyward Sword was extended so the staff expected to be available to get involved with MK7 were still busy with finishing up SS.

I have to concur with Kezay here tho the reasonable reason seem like understaffed but I think it's more than one can say but it is not as bad as it seems.

I do recall the help Nintendo received from 2nd partied to help with their games and again as much as that makes sense, to me does not explain sporadic news drops from them.

As I said, I'll wait patiently for Nintendo news I have renewed faith that what was foretold with new PM, Pikmin 3 Deluxe and probably 3D Mario remasters are coming soon.

I get that COVID is a thing, but these are videogames. Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2 were both "shown" during Directs. Sure there was no information because they were still a long ways away from release, but that's my point. "Here's a few things were working", "Hope you're enjoying these new/recent releases", "Here's some DLC coming out", "We've got 3rd parties planning to release these titles on Switch" (even if the 3rd party already announced it). Pikmin 3 was announced for re-release, re-announce that with some gameplay footage.

I feel like even though E3 didn't happen, they could show us something.

9 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I almost feel like this statement should speak for itself.  One of these carries quite a bit more weight in consideration than the other.

But the rest of the statement is about how videogames have long release dates, DLCs, new releases already out with not a lot of fanfare. COVID is slowing down the working process, sure, but like I said they dropped the MP4 announcement with JUST a title screen. 

12 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I almost feel like this statement should speak for itself.  One of these carries quite a bit more weight in consideration than the other.

This is true but at the same time despite where Nintendo is in the world their cautious approach most things. (keeping things close to their chest) I am not exactly saying it is not working in this example, their well meaning caution for their workforce is nice and sorry again to bring up the rest of the gaming industry devs and publishers alike seem to be adjusting to some degree and with transparency as well.

We're not exactly getting that with Nintendo, are we? I think that is what most are asking for is transparency. You don't have to share what don't got to share but be upfront with plumbing at Nintendo when comes to some game progress news. They did that for MP4 restart and the start of last year and tho we experienced few delays this year most games now seem to be sticking to their release dates, with the exception of Halo Infinite. That is disappointing to be sure but that is transparency as well, instead not saying anything. 

It's a good thing Nintendo does release buggy or per se unfinished games but right now we don't know what camp their in trouble with their games. Yes, holding in things in is their thing but not when don't know what's what with them as of late.

I digress, I well understand the above and that Pikmin 3 Deluxe announcement I have faith they have plan, it just took longer than I anticipated for it to come to fruition.