Routine Political Dystopia 2021 Edition

April

I agree. I too want police officers to be accounted for. I don't think all of them are bad people. They're supposed to protect and serve the innocent, not to harm and ignore them. And this kind of social injustice is still B.S., and it feels like we're still regressing more as a country. 

I do want justice for Breonna Taylor and Michael Brown. And the countless of other good people who were wrongfully shot by corrupt police. 

I want to make sure this stops as well. Maybe I'll pledge that Kickstarter.  

Of course there's no simple good/evil dichotomy. It's just that the system makes it so it doesn't matter what their individual moral compasses are like. The system by its nature causes these problems, and in being a part of it, they uphold those problems. Cops who speak out get attacked or fired. So the system itself has to change.

Great speech from President Trump to end the RNC. About a month away from the first presidential debate to see President Trump and Joe Biden in a more live environment, not reading speeches, which should really show how much they contrast, how they handle themselves and how they handle the issues and progress of the United States. I'm looking forward to all three of them. I don't know if I could watch the Vice Presidential debate only because of how negative I feel about Kamala Harris. I would like too though so that I've gotten completely both tickets' perspectives together. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 9:21 PM, IU said:

Great speech from President Trump to end the RNC. About a month away from the first presidential debate to see President Trump and Joe Biden in a more live environment, not reading speeches, which should really show how much they contrast, how they handle themselves and how they handle the issues and progress of the United States. I'm looking forward to all three of them. I don't know if I could watch the Vice Presidential debate only because of how negative I feel about Kamala Harris. I would like too though so that I've gotten completely both tickets' perspectives together. 

Yeah wouldn't want to be too hasty to infer what trump's perspective might be. He's just an enigma, that guy. What would four years under a trump presidency be like? Theres absolutely no way of knowing until they debate one another.

In completely unrelated news, the sky has been glowing orange all week and I can't have my windows open in 90 degrees fahrenheit weather because uncontrollable wildfires have been sweeping across the state, which might not be the case if there were effective climate change measures still in place to prevent massive forest fires. This lack of climate action has kept me up at night, not only because my own life will get harder/more dangerous as it continues but also knowing I have young relatives who, if they are lucky enough to make it to old age, will die in a world where much of the planet is inhospitable for humans, the Arctic is a distant memory, and centuries old plagues have been reintroduced to the human population by melting layers of sheet ice containing these extinct diseases making the current pandemic look like cold season. This is what many climate scientists predict will happen, but if the US were a model for the whole world, covid would already be humanity's undoing. It's hard to know exactly how many cases there are per day at this point, since the white house has suppressed accurate data from being recorded, but we are still in the tens of thousands of deaths per week, half a year into the pandemic. My workplace has yet to reopen, but as I am losing money every week due to the six hundred dollar ui stimulus running out almost a month and a half ago and no replacement getting through the republican senate, I get to choose between making money so I can pay rent and buy food, while potentially getting dangerously sick/dying (and/or causing my loved ones to get sick and die) or running out of money while I wait for government assistance that will never come. Of course after being closed for six months, it's unclear if my workplace will survive much longer once it reopens, or if it will reopen at all. Such is the case for many businesses right now, which makes my future scarily uncertain as an uneducated lower class worker. I don't know when if ever it will be safe to rejoin the workforce, or to do anything normal, because there is no roadmap, projection, or even any real acknowledgement from us leadership about the pandemic, other than "there's a vaccine on the way!" which will result in a rushed vaccine that won't be effective, if indeed it happens at all. That won't stop the administration from declaring victory for having released a vaccine at all, and they'll probably stop all efforts to deal with the virus there. Because they have offered no other hope. Really looking forward to that debate though; oh, the pride I will feel as the president calls the other guy "sleepy joe" and america applauds.

1 hour ago, Young P said:

My workplace has yet to reopen, but as I am losing money every week due to the six hundred dollar ui stimulus running out almost a month and a half ago and no replacement getting through the republican senate, I get to choose between making money so I can pay rent and buy food, while potentially getting dangerously sick/dying (and/or causing my loved ones to get sick and die) or running out of money while I wait for government assistance that will never come. 

Wait, what? I got about 300 per the last two weeks, and I thought it was because a settlement was there. Usually UI is about 101 dollars right now. How'd it come by? 

But, yeah, living in a desert region in California... really stinks for us right now. And I remember a huge wildfire around near Long Beach two years ago. Whoever are setting up these fires: F U for destroying our air.

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams

I'm on the other side of the country, but based on the news, if I were there, I would probably have a very negative perspective as well. Not much recovery is allowed to occur because of how much fear has been pushed with Covid-19 from certain points of view and now the state is suffering from what could be its worst wildfires. I'm glad I'm not over there. I've been experiencing the opposite here in Virginia: maintained full employment, the governor has allowed areas to get back to business at reduced capacities and there's a clear plan here and I see a clear vision at the federal level. It's not completely normal where I live, but I don't think my area is too far off from normality either.

My post was referring to Trump and Biden being live on the same stage away from more scripted events like the DNC and RNC and looking forward to how they engage each other in the upcoming debates. I know what a Trump presidency is like, and it has been great. I actually think 2020 has been Trump's best year since how he responded to Covid-19 had probably the most noticeable impact around me. I see surplus of PPE and sanitizer every day, and feel very safe going out to work now compared to when the virus first started to spread across the country. I just took a trip across several states to see my dad, went out to eat and stayed in a hotel room. I felt safe doing all of that. Right now personally, I wear my mask out of respect for an establishment's policy and other people than I do out of fear of Covid-19 itself. 

26 minutes ago, IU said:

I actually think 2020 has been Trump's best year since how he responded to Covid-19 had probably the most noticeable impact around me.

I'm living in New Zealand and don't think I could disagree with that much more. There's a drastic difference between the countries' responses, and we were down to no community transmission for over 100 days. We had an incredibly prolonged period where we were essentially back to normal domestically.

Now we had another outbreak here in Auckland, and we've once again managed to stamp it out quickly. We've also got mask mandates and very clear direction from the leadership.

Everyone here is looking at the US with fear and disgust right now. My parents are essentially bound to their home because they're higher-risk individuals.

It's great that you're at least wearing a mask for others. I can respect that. I wore a mask here a couple of times before there was any kind of mandate and I haven't found it to be much of a hassle at all really.

lol anybody who thinks Trump's responded well to COVID is delusional when we have 20% of the reported cases and deaths of the entire outbreak in our country.  Meanwhile other countries like France still have their government paying furloughed workers extended through the rest of the year while we're evicting people who can't afford rent due to losing their financial stability to the pandemic.  Capitalism is a death cult and has brainwashed idiot Americans into thinking that it's normal for them to work to support themselves during a lethal pandemic because they can't afford health insurance and rent hasn't been frozen.

If a respiratory pandemic with half the country on fire isn't enough to convince people national healthcare and the green new deal is a good idea, they're impossible to talk to lol.

i dont think its a fair assessment to label americans as idiots or stupid for the cards being dealt when we aren't the dealer and the dealer is also cheating. just like with other real cults, there's a real reason and real psychology behind WHY they work in the first place, and its laziness to just group americans into being 'idiots' just because they 'fell for it'

tho its not our job to convince others that still have the rose colored glasses on either, i s'pose

trump has done a terrible job with everything tho, as expected and if i think too hard about how many people have died because the people who run the country decided money was more important than lives, i want to vomit 

still holding out hope we get UBI one day here soon lol

10 hours ago, IU said:

Not much recovery is allowed to occur because of how much fear has been pushed with Covid-19 from certain points of view

almost 200,000 people are dead, untold more people have permanent complications from surviving high impact cases, and our cases massively dwarf countries who remain quarantined. "certain points of view" are keeping us from ever making fucking progress overcoming the problem, you bloviating asswipe.

If you guys can't be at the very least civil, have the conversation elsewhere.

This

1 hour ago, Pichi said:

you bloviating asswipe.

and this

6 hours ago, ace said:

stupid fucking asshole.

are not necessary to get your point across. I understand the severity of what's going on in the world and how much you might look down on people on the other side of the argument, but I know you can do better than this. If you want to sling insults, you're free to take it to twitter.

i know it's the proper forum moderation stance and all, but i'm also not willing to be civil with somebody who is effectively promoting the continued deaths of those around me and connivingly framing it as the fault of those who want to treat the virus with the concern it deserves. professing to the use of masks but still supporting the man who fought against taking responsibility for medical supplies from the moment he unwillingly declared a state of emergency, continues to endanger people by regularly encouraging his followers' lack of faith in PPE despite taking an official stance supporting them, and repeatedly urges state governments to fully re-open business in spite of the danger isn't "wearing rose-colored glasses," it's willingly undermining the safety of others. that's not the kind of behavior that affords respect or the benefit of doubt.

i don't want that kind of garbage in my space and i'm sure you don't either.

Edited by Pichi
22 hours ago, IU said:

I'm on the other side of the country, but based on the news, if I were there, I would probably have a very negative perspective as well. Not much recovery is allowed to occur because of how much fear has been pushed with Covid-19 from certain points of view and now the state is suffering from what could be its worst wildfires. I'm glad I'm not over there. I've been experiencing the opposite here in Virginia: maintained full employment, the governor has allowed areas to get back to business at reduced capacities and there's a clear plan here and I see a clear vision at the federal level. It's not completely normal where I live, but I don't think my area is too far off from normality either.

My post was referring to Trump and Biden being live on the same stage away from more scripted events like the DNC and RNC and looking forward to how they engage each other in the upcoming debates. I know what a Trump presidency is like, and it has been great. I actually think 2020 has been Trump's best year since how he responded to Covid-19 had probably the most noticeable impact around me. I see surplus of PPE and sanitizer every day, and feel very safe going out to work now compared to when the virus first started to spread across the country. I just took a trip across several states to see my dad, went out to eat and stayed in a hotel room. I felt safe doing all of that. Right now personally, I wear my mask out of respect for an establishment's policy and other people than I do out of fear of Covid-19 itself. 

It's not as if the "fear" is unwarranted.  I find it impossible to argue against the notion that there is a correlation between the response to the virus and what that recovery allowed to occur ended up looking like.  Had the Trump administration treated this threat with the seriousness that it deserved from the beginning it's likely that things would be better off than where they are now.  But the Trump of early spring has only one thing to his credit that he "supposedly" did in response to the virus which was ban travel from China.  But there was never any clear plan or intent to combat the virus if it ever came to our shores and that was made very clear once it did start to spread in the U.S.  It's not like you have to dig far to find this stuff either, that was literally a few months ago; very recent history.  But this should be no surprise when the president was just recently outed as straight up covering up how dangerous the virus could be and he made it even more dangerous by eliciting a response that may as well have been sweep it under the rug and move on.

I live in Florida with a governor that hasn't exactly been making the smartest decisions around the pandemic.  This week was my first week back in the office since early March and I don't feel comfortable being back due to circumstances at home with a family member that is high risk.  But that decision to return was based on what was happening locally so I don't have much say there, bills still gotta be paid. But I'm a fairly fit and healthy guy, I don't get sick often (last time I had anything approaching the sniffles was around holiday 2018) so I have a very real fear that I could potentially get this family member of mine sick in the worst way for simply being an asymptomatic carrier.  You are extremely lucky to feel the way that you do in this climate and I won't speak badly of it; do what you do.  But don't diminish what's going on and its effects as the result of a "negative perspective" or "fear mongering".

7 hours ago, Pichi said:

i know it's the proper forum moderation stance and all, but i'm also not willing to be civil with somebody who is effectively promoting the continued deaths of those around me and connivingly framing it as the fault of those who want to treat the virus with the concern it deserves. professing to the use of masks but still supporting the man who fought against taking responsibility for medical supplies from the moment he unwillingly declared a state of emergency, continues to endanger people by regularly encouraging his followers' lack of faith in PPE despite taking an official stance supporting them, and repeatedly urges state governments to fully re-open business in spite of the danger isn't "wearing rose-colored glasses," it's willingly undermining the safety of others. that's not the kind of behavior that affords respect or the benefit of doubt.

i don't want that kind of garbage in my space and i'm sure you don't either.

I agree with most of this.  The big issue with political discussion--especially as it's become more black-and-white because of our comically evil president--is that there is a distinction to be made when ethical or moral issues are politicized.  If a friend and I have a disagreement with how BLM protests or the pandemic are being conducted, that's a difference in ideology.  Promoting false information or trivializing the deaths, suffering or displacements of thousands of people isn't a "we just disagree" deal, it's a moral displacement that's actively hurting or killing people with misinformation or false narratives.  That is operating on a separate plane of ethics, morals or information where rational discussion isn't to be had.  It's why terms like "concern trolling" exist.

Edited by Edie Napier

To give some perspective on this, one of my former coworkers and his family tested positive for it. Even though most of the family is fine, the father of the family... passed away, and the coworker I mentioned is still probably mourning his death because instead of ripe old age, it was a disease that they did not plan for or see coming. For those who think that this whole thing is blown out of proportion, and this whole case is trivial, it's not just about fear. It means the loss of precious life. And dare I remind you that this isn't the only time the government, under a mostly Republic banner, failed to act on a pandemic or the like with a well-time response or urgency. I know what I did was low, but that's what you get with an administration who doesn't care about the public well-being of its nation. That's why I'm staying Democrat. Because even if we're currently in-party fighting, at least we know how to handle this.