Routine Political Dystopia 2021 Edition

April

This is BEYOND FUCKED UP!...

I really hope this ends up in a courtroom (mainly federal), if possible. I absolutely hate this tend of "political leaders" pushing their beliefs and personal feelings on certain topics on everyone . ...Like with the new Gov. of my state, who come to find out has a man-crush on Trump. Absolutely disgusting!. Right after he got sworn in, issued orders to remove the vaccine mandate for state employes and the mask mandate in schools. Luckily, all the major school systems in my state, basically said "F.U., we're doing what the CDC is requiring us to do to keep kids safe!" Don't get me started on this, but the whole inory just kills me, since the reason this idiot got elected was because of parents (the other candidate said something stupid about education, which portents took way out of context).

What in the absolute fuck happened to Texas? As a Canadian, it's always been seen as a pretty...backwards...place, but fuck, we never heard this much about abortions, anti-trans, education racism coming from them growing up. Like it seems like they were more stable and accepting in the 90s than they are now.

wow they whipped up anti trans sentiment by sparking "debate" about asinine things like sport and bathrooms and moved on to a gestapo targeting trans kids.
who could've guessed it??

On 3/12/2021 at 3:07 PM, April said:

they're just wedging in transphobic nonsense into law with an angle they can convince the public on so they can pivot to doing worse things down the road. alabama's already ahead of the fucking game trying to kill trans kids by completely blocking their healthcare until 19.

Edited by April
  • 3 weeks later...

Ehhh...WUT?!

Is it really that hard for people to change their clocks twice a year? Do we really need to make DST permanent? ...WHY?

EDIT: Come to find out they did this in the 70's and then reversed it when they realised it was a bad idea. If DST become permanent, sunrise won't be until around 8am in the Winter. That's gonna fuck up a lot of people internal clocks... and not to mention elementary school kids waiting for the bus/ walking to school in the dark.

Edited by alienboyva

DST has always and will always be dumb. especially after they increased the DST time to where it was like 3/4 of the year anyway.
it barely makes a difference at this point. and if you actually read the article you linked it refutes its own points about children in the dark lol

• 1 month later...

Bumping this because I don't want to derail the chat thread:

Does voting actually accomplish anything anymore? Is there any point in legalizing abortion, when some Republican shitheads can just overturn it twenty years later? Or what about gay marriage? Or net neutrality?

Because I'm just so fucking tired of being told that my vote matters, successfully "voting them out" or whatever, only for nothing to change.

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

Does voting actually accomplish anything anymore? Is there any point in legalizing abortion, when some Republican shitheads can just overturn it twenty years later? Or what about gay marriage? Or net neutrality?

Because I'm just so fucking tired of being told that my vote matters, successfully "voting them out" or whatever, only for nothing to change.

If like 0.5% more people voted in the right places in 2016 and Hillary got in, the court would be super skewed blue and this would be safe for a generation. also if there were only two more (non-conservative) democrat senators Biden would be getting significantly more done.

if you don't vote and republicans get in, they're just going to solidify their hold on power even more. geography and the senate already favours them unfairly so left-leaning people have to vote in higher numbers for the same outcome. That party is so out there right now that I don't even know what horrible things they could do. The potential consequences for LGBT people and the environment alone are super scary. I used to be like one of the "how bad could Trump really be" types but I learned to regret that almost immediately into his term and it only got worse and worse from there. It's like the most arrogant ignorant prideful unpragmatic thing I've ever believed lol. Voting is easy and it can prevent a lot of harm.

though that said, I don't know all the history but they've had half a century to codify reproductive rights into law and I'm pretty sure Obama specifically had the opportunity to early on and didn't prioritize it as an issue, so that's incredibly annoying. I agree with the outcome of Roe v. Wade but it hinging on the right to privacy feels super precarious and easy to chip away at legally.

2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

i imagine that kind of mindset is exactly what they would want you to feel, because as soon as you stop because it 'doesn't matter', that very very small percentage that they win by matters a lot more in the long run, long after you're already exhausted from thinking about it 

and that's not coming from someone who is a hardcore 'vote or you're part of the problem!' because frankly i just don't really believe in that AND i don't even vote where it matters but i think the apathy and exhaustion and overwhelming despair is a feature, not a bug 

whether it actually 'does anything' is not something you can see right away usually, which is why people end up thinking it doesn't matter or isn't worth their time. but the good things that came from voting also took a long time to enact and see positive change from. even my own mom was kicked out of restaurants for dating a black man when she was younger, but thanks to her and other people like her, i was able to be in an interracial marriage today. and before that, her ancestors fought for the right for a bank account, or to vote, while mine fought to be seen as people, and all those things took a very long time. much longer than they should have, but its because people kept voting for them and putting pressure on where it mattered that it eventually amounted to something.

its pretty easy to be tired of it and frankly we should be past the point of fighting for all this shit, but when i think about the people before me who i have a lot more in common with than they want you to believe, fighting for those rights so that i could get an abortion, or marry white people, or be bisexual and not lose anything in my life because of it, it makes it a little easier to put some more effort in. 

its exhausting, but i like to think there's more people out there that believe i do deserve those things than those who don't and i do believe that even if its not overnight, those actions do matter in the long run, even if its just a momentary comfort. 

Perhaps I didn't word it right. It's not that I feel like voting itself is pointless, but rather how temporary the outcome is.

To be more specific, gay marriage was, like you said, the result of decades of people banding together to vote it into law. And that was great! But if they can just now overturn it and make it illegal again less than five years later, then what was the point? We worked so hard, and finally got what we wanted, only for it to be taken away from us in the blink of an eye.

Yeah, this also started because Republicans were hypocrites about the Supreme Court thing. To screw them over, we should've gotten one more judge. If they say "how is that fair", we should've said "HOW WAS THAT FAIR?" and see them bluff out of that excuse! If anything, this makes me hate what Trump's administration did. I wish those four years NEVER existed. Those four years of never happening also means the Backstreet Boys Reunion Tour would've never happened in a more responsible way. This mess in this world is because of some strange counter-counter-culture. 

Even though I'm not a woman, and have no real right to talk about about this, I think the current overturn is B.S. This might lead to more cases of rape, horrible one night stands, and unplanned parenthood. How is that fair for women who do not want children at all, but have to because of horrible sleazy men, and a horrible judicial system?! I'm planning on staying aero-ace or whatever, because I don't want anyone to suffer that fate. And I know I'd be a horrible parent. 

I live in California, so my state might be like, "F that; we're still gonna Roe vs. Wade this" like we did with LGBT rights and marijuana. But, it sucks that it will happen most everywhere else.  

It'd be wishful thinking for that case or whatever to be somehow improved, but that is horrible wishful thinking. 

I hope in the next few years, one of their conservative judges miraculously die, so we get in one of ours there, and say "NA AH, YOU BROKE YOUR PROMISE, WE'LL DO THINGS THIS WAY" as a big huge middle finger. I'd be amazing if there was a full room of women who got to said room and whipped out pairs of them (middle fingers) as a big karma thing. But that's even more wishful thinking. 

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

Perhaps I didn't word it right. It's not that I feel like voting itself is pointless, but rather how temporary the outcome is.

To be more specific, gay marriage was, like you said, the result of decades of people banding together to vote it into law. And that was great! But if they can just now overturn it and make it illegal again less than five years later, then what was the point? We worked so hard, and finally got what we wanted, only for it to be taken away from us in the blink of an eye.

to be fair in the case of abortion, overturning that has been their political project for decades, it's not something that's just happened overnight and I think they'd have a hell of a time getting rid of gay marriage without a similar concerted effort.

and politics is a constant struggle to keep all the nice things that have been won already as well as pushing it further, it's not you elect the right people once and they get everything done and that's it forever. It sucks but you have to be somewhat vigilant about it.

the most frustrating part of politics in this country is that it feels like social politics are the only real dividing point
dems and reps are very aligned in protecting capital and foreign interests at all costs so the rest just feels like theater
but the reality is that living as queer and being a target of all that means i'm voting out of fear theydonothing;

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...