Routine Political Dystopia 2021 Edition

April

Just now, IU said:

I made a mistake. He did it three times, and you're not even accurately quoting him, "Sure, I'm willing to do that, but I would say..[interruption by both Wallace and Biden]..I would say almost everything I see is from the left wing not from the right wing. If you look [interruption from Wallace] I'm..I'm willing to do anything. I want to see peace." That final sentence is the third time.

this is embarrassing dude just stop

5 minutes ago, ace said:

“Proud Boys, stand back and stand by, but I'll tell you what, I’ll tell you what, somebody's gotta do something about antifa and the left because this is not a right-wing problem, this is a left-wing problem."

This statement is indefensible 

Are the riots that have been occurring recently across the country in certain cities caused by far right groups? They've been associated with Black Lives Matter protests. I'll agree that he shouldn't have said that regarding the Proud Boys following Biden's mention. He also agreed to condemn three times, unless "sure" and "I would" don't show agreement. 

Just now, IU said:

Are the riots that have been occurring recently across the country in certain cities caused by far right groups? They've been associated with Black Lives Matter protests. I'll agree that he shouldn't have said that regarding the Proud Boys following Biden's mention. He also agreed to condemn three times, unless "sure" and "I would" don't show agreement. 

be_quiet.thumb.png.b4216a15228820d3df80052351fbf76b.png

4 minutes ago, IU said:

You are terrible at this

7 minutes ago, IU said:

So your defense here is to do the exact same thing by A) failing to condemn a terrorist group and B) saying BUT WHAT ABOUT THEM!!!?!?! 

actually can we discuss how fucking disgusting it is that you’re comparing an actual terrorist group to people protesting the MURDER of people of color by police?

Edited by ace

Um... I think you're missing the point that there are far-right extremists, including the KKK, that really want to destroy lives. Trump might be saying "JUST KIDDING!", but who knows if anyone is going to take that seriously as a joke. There are ways of indirect persuasion, and Trump is a master of that. Suggestions are just as harmful as demands. His words have consequences, whether he means it or not. HE. DOESN'T. TAKE. RESPONSIBILITY.  

If you don't understand what I mean: 

"Would you kindly find a book to better educate yourself of what's going on besides the debates?"

And, after seeing that now, I'm 100% convinced of voting Biden. I don't care if that debate was a huge train wreck; WHY THE HECK WOULD A VOTE A GUY WHO DIRECTLY/INDIRECTLY TOLD A HATE GROUP TO KILL PEOPLE OR STOP PEOPLE FROM VOTING?! He is afraid, and has to resort to tactics like this. 

1 hour ago, IU said:

Are the riots that have been occurring recently across the country in certain cities caused by far right groups?

I mean, yes.  Yes they are.  There's hundreds, arguably thousands of hours of footage of BLM protests being peaceful or non-violent across the country, with police officers aggravating them into defending themselves and gassing them or just fucking people up, and far right groups and militia showing up to attack protesters and destroy property.  You don't get to harass and beat up on somebody and when they decide to punch back or get violent point the finger and go "WHY ARE YOU MAD, THIS ISN'T THE WAY TO HANDLE THIS".

What exactly are you implying with this?  Are you saying we should nullify the thousands of people who have been killed or brutalized by the police because of the riots taking place?  Are you questioning the validity of the BLM protests just because stuff is being damaged?  Are you equating the value of human lives lost to the property damage occurring?  Just curious.

Edited by Edie Napier

We just had our second leaders debate here in NZ and it was such a refreshing experience after the absolute mess between Trump and Biden. There was some common ground in the quickfire questions at the end, which was really surprising and lovely.

Our election is in just a couple of weeks and the polls are looking solid. We may have our most progressive government in decades with New Zealand First out of the picture.

I know there was that mosque attack a few years ago, but other than that does New Zealand have even remotely the same level of civil baggage that the US does, @Kodiack? I’m just saying it probably would not be a surprise that most politicians in other developed countries can behave better, as they look at the state of the US political climate and gape with incredulity. I know everywhere has problems to some degree (in Canada for instance our indigenous track record is awful), but that the US is facing such a crisis of this magnitude is really quite insane.

It worries me how many people who I see are usually well-meaning could support Trump and the modern GOP at all. Agree or disagree on certain policies but nobody should be courting terrorists, caging people, performing forced hysterectomies, supporting a militarized police state, etc.

I should hope New Zealand could do a debate better, I mean. I am hoping that even the right there is for the most part amazed at what is happening in the States.

14 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

I shouldn't be surprised that Trump is really trying to walk back "stand back and stand by." Soon he'll be saying that telling them to "stand back" was a condemnation of white supremacy, and anyone saying otherwise is fake news; and then it's going to be on an official t-shirt accompanied by the phrase "law and order." 

What do you mean soon, he pretty much already is, lol

I can't believe there are 2 more debates.

1 minute ago, InXplotch said:

What do you mean soon, he pretty much already is, lol

I can't believe there are 2 more debates.

I say soon because, at this point, he is just telling them to stand back. He hasn't actually taken the step of condemning them yet. 

He's definitely trying to gaslight here, and trying to redefine and reframe what he said at the debate as something else entirely.