Routine Political Dystopia 2021 Edition

April

*is about to explode* 

Must spoiler my feelings, because maybe that will lower my shock. 

I'm sorry that a large amount of lives seems like a percentage and an inconvenience and not people who died from an abnormal death. People who could have been had a great life and prosperous future, but died because of something we could've dealt with in the hands of a better president who doesn't make jokes out of serious issues. Nothing wrong with having a brain instead of a heart, no!

By the way, Trump's handling of this was a joke. He ignored what Obama had done with pandemic precautions, and said it's not something we should worry about. By the way, at least Obama handled Ebola better. You don't hear much about those deaths nowadays, since they're rarer and easier to take care of. Trump could've handed this whole mess way better.  

And, sure, let Trump go to the military for answers. Because it's not like SCIENTISTS are trying their hardest. Trump's the one who to blame for not taking this a lot more seriously, even if we're not the ones who started it. And, also after the whole fiasco of calling the military cowards or whatever a few days ago, I can't believe they would listen to him. He's disingenuous at best. And, don't forget he's a draft dodger. Take that, people who were sworn to protect our lives!   

Also, wildfire prevention. He's making jokes about California's predicament, like he thinks we deserve to die. F that! Between the virus and the fires, I don't think he's going to care. What a jerk! Even if Biden has his own problems, at least I'll just he'll help get rid of OUR problems. Because a clown in a suit pretending he knows his stuff isn't helping right now. I'd rather have the former vice-president who at least had real experience. 

You may live a comfy life knowing that what's happening might not affect YOU, but it means a whole lot to other people and our country in the long run.

6 hours ago, IU said:

You aren't entitled to responses to your points when all three of you are unable or unwilling to make those points without an insult.

and that's totally why you still haven't responded to the point we were calling you out on for being insensitive as fuck and promoting conspiracy bs, right?

even though others who were polite responded to you as well. imagine deriding others for a natural reaction towards the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, but if anybody dares call you a name over being completely callous, they're the ones who are being unreasonable. don't you just love politics of civility? y;

If I wanted to watch a wrinkled old butthole spewing crap everywhere I could probably find something more appealing from other sources.

I don't understand how one can look at the awful covid response, mountain of litigation, the rush to ram a new Supreme Court justice through (even though Obama's attempt to appoint someone 10 months before the election was too much), and NAZI RHETORIC REGARDING GENES and think "Yeah, this guy is alright"

I'm curious IU because you've said you have seen his rallies and find them to be engaging.  In what specific ways are they engaging? What talking points are being presented and how does he address them? I'm honestly asking here because I stopped giving his events an honest watch after the circus that was the corona task force briefings a few months back. Seeing how unprepared he was for the Town Hall paints an obvious picture to me that he isn't capable of speaking at length on any matter outside of events where he controls the narrative and can essentially speak without saying anything of note/substance (i.e. rallies, PCs, White House messaging) I don't intend on watching any additional full on events involving him until the debates and so I tend to resort to highlights which may or may not give the full picture. So I'm leaning on your understanding to convey what that engagement looks like to get some insight from that perspective.

1 hour ago, Kezay said:

I'm curious IU because you've said you have seen his rallies and find them to be engaging.  In what specific ways are they engaging? What talking points are being presented and how does he address them? I'm honestly asking here because I stopped giving his events an honest watch after the circus that was the corona task force briefings a few months back. Seeing how unprepared he was for the Town Hall paints an obvious picture to me that he isn't capable of speaking at length on any matter outside of events where he controls the narrative and can essentially speak without saying anything of note/substance (i.e. rallies, PCs, White House messaging) I don't intend on watching any additional full on events involving him until the debates and so I tend to resort to highlights which may or may not give the full picture. So I'm leaning on your understanding to convey what that engagement looks like to get some insight from that perspective.

Now, I—and let me tell you folks, I come from a long line, long line. I mean, look, these are minor—I've been doing these rallies for years. And I have the endorsement of the NRA, which I'm very proud of. The biggest they've ever done. And by the way, the people love them. My uncle, John Trump—very smart man. He gave many speeches, he's told me all about them. Folks, I've been saying for a long time—and I think you'll agree, because I said it to you once already, I'm the best at rallies.

As a former alt-right shill and Republican from a very conservative household, not even I can necessarily wrap my head around why traditional republicans flock behind him.  At least comparatively to John McCain or Romney, the complete absence of intelligent thought from most of Trump's inarticulate talking points just kind of goes over my head.  Ultimately to me it's about constructing a reality where all problems or exposition are preemptively painted as lies and exaggerations by the media, or that it's always somebody else's fault and he's resolved of any blame because of that.

Fascism has some wild effects on people. y;

10 hours ago, devilsKnife said:

just saw the thing about trump criticizing biden for not doing a national mask mandate LMAO

This has been a strange part of Trump's campaign.

Beyond masks, he has said the same about protests. There will be protesting in the streets under a Biden administration, seemingly unaware that these protests are happening now, under his very own Trump administration. Statements like that make is seem he is running as a challenger, almost, rather than the sitting president. 

On 9/22/2020 at 12:43 AM, Kezay said:

The crowd and its energy certainly helps to make each rally engaging that I've seen recently. It seems that his live attendance is in the thousands, and his virtual audience is much higher and I'm just viewing these rallies from the perspective of Right Side Broadcasting Network. Since watching, his virtual audience has grown there by around 15,000, from 76,000 to nearly 91,000. I like being in a place where there is some common interest, and the Trump rallies I've seen recently have given much more than that. I don't 100% agree with everything the President does or with his supporters' decisions, but I do know I agree with them vastly more than I agree with the Democratic agenda. 

You and I have a very different take on the ABC Town Hall. He could have declined to have a town hall with ABC and arrange one with Fox News. Biden decided to not have his town hall with ABC and instead had it arranged with CNN, an even more advantageous environment for him in the format. President Trump is willing to go into a situation where there will be a lot of pressure put upon him, and I felt for the most part that he responded well given the time provided (a program running from 9-10:30pm with commercial breaks). If I had an issue with any response, it was his failure to mention Opportunity Zones in response to Pastor Carl Day, something that did come up a few times during the RNC. 

I don't necessarily think every stance needs a long-winded answer either. For example, President Trump wants to restore law and order, he wants police to be able to do their job and I know that that should mean lower crime rates across the country which has plenty of benefits. There is his stance on ending unnecessary foreign wars, which should result in more peace and less American lives being put at risk, both civilian and military. Being concise is important. Too many political figures go on and on talking out of their ass. There's also the matter of actually taking action and not just speaking on an issue. 

President Trump at his rallies is a mixture of his role as the President with his role as an entertainer, being the host to thousands live and significantly more online. He speaks for around 90 minutes, and goes through his agenda for the next term, what is currently going on and what he is currently doing for the country. He will change his tone occasionally. As he covers a subject he looks to be informative on what has been done and sets the expectation that it'll continue to get better, at times emphasizing certain phrases to play to his supporters. Those reactions are generally high energy as "We love you!," "Fill that seat!", "USA!" or "4 more years!" erupts at these events. 

4 hours ago, IU said:

It seems that his live attendance is in the thousands, and his virtual audience is much higher and I'm just viewing these rallies from the perspective of Right Side Broadcasting Network.

4 hours ago, IU said:

For example, President Trump wants to restore law and order, he wants police to be able to do their job and I know that that should mean lower crime rates across the country which has plenty of benefits.

Do you think having thousands of people together at a non-essential rally is a good idea in a pandemic?

What makes you think cops are being prevented from doing their jobs?

Also how do you feel about Trump not committing to accepting the election results?

Whenever I hear "restoring law and order" used as talking points for anything, it feels like a red flag for people who are bothered that they can't ignore protesters anymore and are perfectly content with the police state brutalizing minorities as long as it isn't them because otherwise those brown people "rioting" are keeping them from shopping at Home Goods. y;

Edited by Edie Napier

Honestly the biggest issue I've had with people whining about the protests being disruptive is the angles people work at it from to de-legitimize them.

We can all acknowledge that looting and vandalism is bad, but I hate how it's brought up in discussions to de-legitimize protesters as a sort of equivalence or implication that "stuff" or "things" or "property" is somehow comparable to value in human lives, that it can somehow invalidate or damage a movement where people are dead over this shit.  But that's capitalism for you, I guess. y;

Which if the case wanted to be made at that angle, a single working class person would make millions of dollars for an economy over the course of their lifetime, which is frankly far more damaging long-term to businesses than immediate vandalism. Cops will deal more long-term damage to a capitalist society by killing people who will circulate arguably millions of dollars into the economy than protesters will do to buildings and property. Even the “millions in damages” which at most is one or two human lives.

Equivocating lives to monetary value is fucking gross, but that's what is happening when people try to damage the credibility of protests created over the loss of human lives by going "BUT THEY'RE BREAKING MY STUUUUUUUFF" and "I know people are dead but my capitalism".

Ultimately under a capitalistic society, the monetary value of human lives is a fucked-up reality we're dealing with because to a lot of the idiot mouthbreathers in this country, you can't gauge the impact of a human life in what they bring to their community or family or whathaveyou. You can gauge it in dollars, and if their death means Home Goods gets looted, that human life is apparently worth that much money and now I can't shop at Home Goods.  And that impacts me in a tangible way that my animal brain can understand.

Platitudes like "restoring law and order" always feel completely flaccid when they aren't the ones being oppressed.  The fact that protests are often framed as "riots" when most of the violent confrontations are instigated by police or groups like the proud boys or local militia is proof of that.  It's why shit like the bully aggressor fallacy exists. The police know that they can temper their aggression to just enough of a pitch that they won't be seen as the aggressor and they can push their victims' responses just enough so they can start being represented as the problem.  Ain't worth bothering trying to rationalize with centrists or Trump supporters.  In their reality the problem doesn't exist.  And if it does, you're protesting too loud so they can't ignore you.  And if they can't ignore you, they'll tell you to your face that capitalism is more important than blood because muh vandalism.  But we knew that already because they want to ignore that a pandemic is killing thousands of people for the right to go back to work and inevitably die.

And don't forget he said he flat out wants a third term as well, because he deserves it. After his mockery at the Supreme Court, I glad he was boo'd the heck out when the... happened. 

*cries* Still can't believe she's gone. RIP the future of women and LGBT rights. *cries* A lot of my friends are impacted by these things, so don't say that I, a white man, don't care.    

(Yes, a lot of audience members who participated... that... boo'd him out. That's what happens when you mess with the lives that matter, Trump!) 

And, worse news is that her wishes might not be held up, as a replacement might happen before the election. Well, to that I say, F U hypoMitch!

15 hours ago, devilsKnife said:

Do you think having thousands of people together at a non-essential rally is a good idea in a pandemic?

What makes you think cops are being prevented from doing their jobs?

Also how do you feel about Trump not committing to accepting the election results?

No, but I don't think it's a bad idea either. Attendees are screened and are offered masks and offered sanitizer should they want either. Most now seem to be choosing to wear masks, and I've seen that get questioned as to why they're wearing them now. I was considering attending his rally tonight in Newport News, but didn't think I would make it in time following work. He should be speaking soon if anyone is interested. 

The current narrative going on in the country and the reaction of cities to that narrative. Police getting shot, their vehicles and department buildings being set on fire...The whole "defund the police" non-sense, that's all getting in the way of full performance. I'm sure some now have concern about defending themselves if they are fired upon. 

I don't feel any particular way about it, because I know there's talk on both sides of contesting the election. I still don't understand how it would be unsafe for anyone, unless they're high risk, to vote in person nearly 8 months out from the initial Covid-19 shutdowns and both the individual and the polling place knowing what to do to significantly reduce transmission. 

3 hours ago, IU said:

No, but I don't think it's a bad idea either. Attendees are screened and are offered masks and offered sanitizer should they want either. Most now seem to be choosing to wear masks, and I've seen that get questioned as to why they're wearing them now. I was considering attending his rally tonight in Newport News, but didn't think I would make it in time following work. He should be speaking soon if anyone is interested. 

I might respond to the rest of this later but I'll just do the first little bit rn. I read that health officials wanted to shut down the rally in Virginia today. The governor's orders limit gatherings to 250 people. The governor himself just tested positive hours before the rally.

9 hours ago, devilsKnife said:

I might respond to the rest of this later but I'll just do the first little bit rn. I read that health officials wanted to shut down the rally in Virginia today. The governor's orders limit gatherings to 250 people. The governor himself just tested positive hours before the rally.

This is all true, but there hasn't been consistency in policy. The Breonna Taylor decision has lead to protests, at least one of which had occurred in Richmond, and to my knowledge there was no concern being put out there by health officials. Consistency with Covid-19 policy and coverage (if health officials did actually warn about the recent protests) would make President Trump look worse amid the current pandemic. Part of the point of President Trump doing his rallies right now is to point out those inconsistencies, even calling his rallies "protests." 

Edited by IU