Routine Political Dystopia 2021 Edition

April

While there a time and place for altering the data (such a sports statistics, as a team's performance at home can vastly different from their performance on the road), this is most definitely not the place to do that. 

Red or blue state, we're talking human lives here, and Trump isn't just the president of the red states. He's the president, and his response to COVID-19 (and lack thereof) is something he has to own, whether like it or not. It's going to be one of the things that defines his presidency. 

35 minutes ago, Pichi said:

anyway isn't half the south doing terribly too? i don't even get it in the first place. it just made me laugh because of how stupid it was

Texan here, and yeah, we're doing terribly. Our governor is a trumpian invertebrate who goes along with whatever the president wants, which means premature reopening for "the economy," a (now rescinded order), forbidding municipalities to enforce mask mandates (Abbott later reversed course and made masks mandated and the charts speak for themselves--masking works), and now he is requiring schools to offer in-person classes (parents can elect distance learning, but it's the parents', not school district's, decision). And we're going to lessen restrictions again, and it feels like sans the mask mandate, we're doing everything we did in late May/early June that led to our summer spike. To illustrate how bad our summer spike is; we had ICUs at full baseline capacity--like, it was genuinely scary.

I fully believe Abbott knows full well he's going to increase spread again; the GOP is only concerned about creating a sense of normalcy to win the November election, everyone/everything else be damned. If Trump loses the election, Abbott will probably read the room and focus on his own re-election 2022, and probably take COVID seriously. Which basically means Texas' ability to recover from this situation is, in some sense, dependent on on electing the orange out.

Edited by Zora

the previous NC governer fucked up so bad that the dem challenger won despite Trump winning the state so we had a mandate fairly early thankfully. still fairly high up in the rankings though. on a personal level my roommates are mostly sensible but keep going to family outings and stuff. i just don't get the disconnect man. it's all risky. just stoooooop

Edited by Pichi
3 hours ago, ace said:

As you can see our plan to let the liberals die is working great!

This arguably isn't even true either because ignoring mask mandates and a sizable portion of people who are vulnerable or dying from COVID are either boomers or poor people who think Trump will save them. y;

Dem states by virtue are suffering because they're the most densely populated in the country which means the mask mandates being ignored are more likely to kill people.

Edited by Edie Napier
7 hours ago, IU said:

Hoping it's more of the same from his White House news conference from yesterday, which, for the most part, was positive and hopeful.  

Do you really think that the "positive and hopeful" from Trump is grounded in reality? CDC director Robert Redfield wasn't so optimistic and doesn't believe we'd be able to see reasonably widespread vaccination available until mid-2021 at the earliest. He'd also commented that a mask can be the most effective tool available for combatting the pandemic in the US, yet it's still a politicised issue for reasons unknown to me.

Whenever Trump seems optimistic, it seems like lies. "It'll be gone by Easter." Those Woodward recordings were awfully damning. Trump only seems to want the "economy" (i.e. the stock market) performing well for his election chances.

Rest in peace, RBG. Thank you for your many accomplishments over the years.

This is awful and horrifying news. It was right near the top of the list of things that I hoped would not happen this year.

McConnell has already said that the Senate will vote on a nomination, and it's likely that we'll see a nomination come forward as soon as the next few days.

I really don't know what to think. Looking in at the US from the outside, it seems like a failed state more and more each day.

3 minutes ago, Kodiack said:

Rest in peace, RBG. Thank you for your many accomplishments over the years.

This is awful and horrifying news. It was right near the top of the list of things that I hoped would not happen this year.

McConnell has already said that the Senate will vote on a nomination, and it's likely that we'll see a nomination come forward as soon as the next few days.

I really don't know what to think. Looking in at the US from the outside, it seems like a failed state more and more each day.

Which again is totally going against what he did the last time when he stalled after the 2016 one. I hope karma gets him this year. 

19 hours ago, Kodiack said:

Do you really think that the "positive and hopeful" from Trump is grounded in reality? CDC director Robert Redfield wasn't so optimistic and doesn't believe we'd be able to see reasonably widespread vaccination available until mid-2021 at the earliest. He'd also commented that a mask can be the most effective tool available for combatting the pandemic in the US, yet it's still a politicised issue for reasons unknown to me.

Whenever Trump seems optimistic, it seems like lies. "It'll be gone by Easter." Those Woodward recordings were awfully damning. Trump only seems to want the "economy" (i.e. the stock market) performing well for his election chances.

Yes, I do. What are the CDC director's comments regarding a time table for the vaccine following the news conference? I know that he has gone back to clarify his statement regarding the effectiveness of a mask when compared to the effectiveness of a potential vaccine. Really the only thing the President needed to say, for me personally, regarding his time table for vaccine distribution is that the military would be involved (@ 15:44). I do not doubt the ability of this country's military. Trump had the military involved with the production of PPE, and, in my daily life, I see a surplus and because of that I feel safer and I feel my family is safer in the midst of Covid-19. 

19 hours ago, Pichi said:

so shocked that a trump supporter evaded all criticism after their baseless assertions in favor of posting more propaganda let me tell you

I haven't. This topic isn't the only option for political discussion. You, @ace and @Edie Napier aren't entitled to responses to your points when all three of you are unable or unwilling to make those points without an insult. It's much better to have all three of you blocked and pick when and where I want to see any of your posts here. 

Edited by IU
19 minutes ago, IU said:

Yes, I do. What are the CDC director's comments regarding a time table for the vaccine following the news conference? I know that he has gone back to clarify his statement regarding the effectiveness of a mask when compared to the effectiveness of a potential vaccine. Really the only thing the President needed to say, for me personally, regarding his time table for vaccine distribution is that the military would be involved (@ 15:44). I do not doubt the ability of this country's military. Trump had the military involved with the production of PPE, and, in my daily life, I see a surplus and because of that I feel safer and I feel my family is safer in the midst of Covid-19.

I’m afraid I don’t really understand this response. What are you getting at? Are you saying masks are not important because we want a vaccine? If so... Masks are absolutely important for stopping this thing. A vaccine’s purpose is to end the pandemic or at least greatly curtail its threat. The purpose of masks is to contain the virus’ spread. The two are not mutually exclusive so there’s no reason to set up a dichotomy between vaccine and masks. If that’s not what you’re saying then sorry, I just don’t get what your point is.

Also not sure why simply saying the military will help is all you need to hear... but that seems to be a personal thing. How many people have officially succumbed in your country now, close to 200,000 right? Not sure how anyone can feel “safe” with numbers like that... especially not if social distancing and mask wearing are not taken seriously by so many.

35 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

I’m afraid I don’t really understand this response. What are you getting at? Are you saying masks are not important because we want a vaccine? If so... Masks are absolutely important for stopping this thing. A vaccine’s purpose is to end the pandemic or at least greatly curtail its threat. The purpose of masks is to contain the virus’ spread. The two are not mutually exclusive so there’s no reason to set up a dichotomy between vaccine and masks. If that’s not what you’re saying then sorry, I just don’t get what your point is.

Also not sure why simply saying the military will help is all you need to hear... but that seems to be a personal thing. How many people have officially succumbed in your country now, close to 200,000 right? Not sure how anyone can feel “safe” with numbers like that... especially not if social distancing and mask wearing are not taken seriously by so many.

I'm saying that I believe Trump's time table and plans for vaccine distribution largely due to the military having a key role, as they did for PPE production which I've seen some result of. Masks are important, when I'm out I'm usually wearing one. If I'm ever not wearing my mask outside, I feel I'm well distanced from other people. There's been one instance that I took a risk of not wearing a mask since this all started and that was around my dad when I went to see him in Ohio earlier this month. 

The United States of America has around 330 million people and each state has been hit differently by the virus. The death rate is around 0.6% for Covid-19. Between 200,000 and 0.6, I want to be cautious when I go out but I'm not shitting my pants when I walk out the front door either. I also live in Virginia which is higher than average in terms of population, but no where near the top. If I were in a more populated state, especially the top 4, which seem to be the hardest hit, I would likely have a different opinion as the numbers should mean something worse.