Routine Political Dystopia 2021 Edition

April

6 minutes ago, Pichi said:

so... you voted null because you didn't want to do research? 🤔
why even waste your time going then

Heh.... they way the candidates were cannibalizing themselves on ideas and rhetoric I just kind of tuned it out.  I actually think having the null option helped me because it expressed my feeling that none of the choices as of right now were great.

Your research jab is fair though...I would try harder to do that if I didn't feel like when I want to absorb what they stand for I'd get caught up in an argument over ideas not a discussion about what you, as the candidate, will do.

Not that anyone is paying attention, but Jacob Hornberger has now won the Libertarian primaries or caucuses in Iowa, Minnesota and California.

Far more interesting are New Hampshire and North Carolina. New Hampshire, which as mail-in primary, was won by Vermin Supreme (with 26 votes, or 17.3% of ballots cast), while "No Preferene" topped the ticket in North Carolina with 2,060 votes. Hornberger was second there, with 604 votes. 

I'd also point out that there is someone on the Libertarian ballot listed as Dan "Taxation Is Theft" Behrman. I want to stress that- the ballot literally included the words "Taxation Is Theft." Lincoln Chafee is also running for the Libertarian nomination. Remember him from 2016? No?

12 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Heh.... they way the candidates were cannibalizing themselves on ideas and rhetoric I just kind of tuned it out.  I actually think having the null option helped me because it expressed my feeling that none of the choices as of right now were great.

Your research jab is fair though...I would try harder to do that if I didn't feel like when I want to absorb what they stand for I'd get caught up in an argument over ideas not a discussion about what you, as the candidate, will do.

literally just go to their website. i did the same thing for the down-ticket candidates as i was voting for the ones i didn't have any information about. you get their unfiltered message immediately and can interpret it however you wish.

1 hour ago, blcdude1 said:

Might just be the timing of your post versus the timing of reports, but we've seen a statement from Roger Lau (her campaign manager) stating " “Last night, we fell well short of viability goals and projections, and we are disappointed in the results. We are going to announce shortly that Elizabeth is talking to the team to assess the path forward.”

He stresses that the decision is in her hands, but that does read like a writing-on-the-wall sort of statement. 

Yep, saw the statement pretty much immediately when it came out.

https://medium.com/@teamwarren/next-steps-bfa8482e2fbc

Curious what she'll do at this point. Placing third in her home state is not a good look...

If you're not familiar with Vermin Supreme, he's the guy who wears a boot on his head and his campaign polices include mandatory toothbrushing, harnessing zombies as a renewable energy source and implementing a pony-based economy. He also supports time travel research, so he can go back in time and kill baby Hitler. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Never been so underwhelmed for an election. 

Biden's literally shown people what he's like over the course of the election,  going from what I've watched clip wise and have read. No amount of bs ads is /are going to be able to put lipstick on that pig.

That said, I will be voting for him to help get Trump out of office. Past that though, he does not have my support.

He's tone deaf about Medicare for All. Saying that he'd veto it if it hit his desk, is one sure fire way of not getting votes. And promoting the ACA, isn't worth a damn thing, when some voters either can't afford it or earn a bit too much to even have it.  I'm honestly wondering how he's going to appeal to those voters.

Edited by Doc Brown

Reminding people he had actual experience as a Vice President, more than clown pants over there. I agree that he’s not a perfect candidate, but he’s by far more credible. And I’ll take his stance of how he’ll take care of COVID-19, since our current one doesn’t give a care about science, like he thinks it’s a hoax. Biden, for all his faults, has common sense. ... Maybe, I don’t watch the news too much. The road to getting a better president is going to be tumultuous one at best. 

Still, it is rather jarring he doesn’t have a VP choice. Dude, the election is in 5 months, what’s this all about?  

The last two elections have not been kind to Bernie at all, that is a fact. But, he’ll be 82 when he has another chance at running. I think he’ll be too old then. And same for Biden. And perhaps Hillary. If anything, I’ll root for anyone else that doesn’t have a probable case of dying in the case we get into another situation like this. My first choice was... Pete, right. Then, there’s AOC, who seems like a perfect replacement for Bernie when she has more experience. My thoughts for either of them next time.  

For me, I’m less excited it’s because it feels like I’ve been in this deja vu scenario. Bernie fans hate the fact that they lost again, there’s in-party fighting among ourselves again, and Trump might win again because most of their party is at least united with hate on their side. I’m pessimistic, and I might ... myself not knowing what could happen next. Maybe we are doomed to repeat our history. Maybe not. Maybe I’ll say more random quotes and phrases I have no right of posting. 2016 showed the world its true colors. 2020 perhaps made them more exaggerated.  

Night.

• 3 weeks later...

Trump back to doing the afternoon taskforce meetings...without the taskforce and with little to no sincerity at all to what he's actually reading.  Yesterday when he started back up, he nearly spent the entire time reading from a paper and sounded pretty alright.  At least until he started resort to COVID as the China virus and then spiraling into his BS fueled Q&A sessions where it's obvious that any semblance of sincerity around what's going on was the result of someone typing out what he should say.  The conference today just solidified it.

Also, maintaining that Desantis is really out here being a clown for Florida.