• Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile
    • Treekco
    • Torchic
    • Mudkip
    • Skitty

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/20 at 07:01 AM

i HATE using messenger but i have so many normies in my life i gotta, its not like i'm gonna tell my 68 year old mother to download LINE so like.....oh well i guess lmao

social media is indeed a curse and a blight upon humanity BUT.................i do enjoy using instagram

Just now, ace said:

Having messenger on my phone is a blight but I know too many people who seem to use it exclusively so there it stays. Like we have each other’s phone numbers, why don’t we just use those? 

valid but also texting doesnt have cute stickers so immediately made un-valid

since moving i no longer have a phone number and while a bit of a pain sometimes, its actually turned out to be incredibly nice to just be entirely unavailable in some way to most people 

The algorithms too, ugh

That's why I like Tumblr, the staff there is too inept to add anything like data collection or algorithms. There's no politicians or famous people either, nobody uses their actual name, there's no way to monetize your content, the ads are untargeted and just weird in general, the search function barely even works. It's great.

2 minutes ago, chickadee said:

valid but also texting doesnt have cute stickers so immediately made un-valid

since moving i no longer have a phone number and while a bit of a pain sometimes, its actually turned out to be incredibly nice to just be entirely unavailable in some way to most people 

uhh excuse me my phone does have cute stickers in text messages tyvm

most people I talk to through messenger or discord though so I don’t get very many texts. 

Just now, devilsKnife said:

The algorithms too, ugh

That's why I like Tumblr, the staff there is too inept to add anything like data collection or algorithms. There's no politicians or famous people either, nobody uses their actual name, there's no way to monetize your content, the ads are untargeted and just weird in general, the search function barely even works. It's great.

its gonna sound fuckin nuts, but tumblr is the CLOSEST feeling to actually being on a forum despite being an entirely different type of social media

incredibly individualized customization, privacy/alter egos; i feel like i have a sense of community with my mutuals despite having never had a one-on-one conversation with almost any of them just because we've been in the same place for so long, following each others antics

Ninfora has been at roughly the same level of activity since I got here in mid 2017, and I honestly deeply appreciate that consistency. Maybe it's shrunken a little bit since some names have disappeared since then, but regardless. I've always preferred small forums, partly for the reasons Lilty mentioned about ResetEra or whatever.
Large groups of gamers are usually not pleasant to spent a lot of time around nowadays.

NS2 was enjoyable to a degree when it was really active around 2008-2011, but there were a lot of things I didn't enjoy about it as much, so I only was active occasionally.

Discord is nice as a catch-all replacement for voice chats, IRC, skype, etc., but I don't think it's a replacement for forums, either. The nature of real-time conversations make it difficult to talk about everything you want to talk about. On a forum, you might not get many posts on a topic, but it's always there for relevant conversation when somebody does come around. You try something like that in discord, and it'll disappear immediately if nobody's interesting. You can somewhat solve the problem with lots of channels, but that doesn't always work, either. If it gets no responses in a couple days, somebody else will inevitably come along with another thing related to the channel, and it'll remain ignored.

The same thing can happen in forums, but generally there's a lot more staying power thanks to the level of organization. And it generally allows for a bit more depth in conversation, because even if you do get responses on a discord channel, it'll end the moment the topic shifts. So it's more like being along for the ride.

Social media on the other hand is just a blight. It's nice to potentially reach a large audience, but absolutely fucking awful for everything else. It seems more people are becoming aware of that recently, although it seems to just redirect to other social media platforms as a solution. I wish people would see the value in stand-alone communities again. It might be difficult to keep people around, but that's also a positive, because you generally end up with a group of people who want to be around in the first place. It forms something that more resembles an actual social group. And you can effortlessly deal with garbage, instead of this bullshit where you constantly have to be vigilant of bottom-feeders who think you have any time for their drivel.

I like browsing Tumblr compared to other sites, but actually using it seems impossible. I just don't understand the UI at all.
It's hilarious that you mention it's mostly tolerable because of ineptitude for the practices that most companies would chase after for more money.
But I feel like that crept into the design somewhat because god damn the UI feels like a mess.
The search being useless has also made finding artists that I had forgotten about damn near impossible on multiple occasions.

Edited by Pichi
2 minutes ago, Pichi said:

I like browsing Tumblr compared to other sites, but actually using it seems impossible. I just don't understand the UI at all.
It's hilarious that you mention it's mostly tolerable because of ineptitude for the practices that most companies would chase after for more money.
But I feel like that crept into the design somewhat because god damn the UI feels like a mess.
The search being useless has also made finding artists that I had forgotten about damn near impossible on multiple occasions.

oh, the UI of tumblr is terrible

and while they continually try to make money off of it, the userbase is so opposed to being used in any way that it fails every time. its actually hilarious how many times tumblr has been sold in just the years i've been using it, just to have it fail even more miserably in another company's hands as they attempt uselessly to make money off of us 

i think the terribleness of it all is part of the charm though y; something about seeing the users absolutely roast the devs of tumblr constantly never gets old

I sound old af saying this, but I feel like discussions become massive convoluted messes made on multiple fronts by people who generally can't articulate a point with any sense of brevity or conciseness, which gets tiresome to have.  As somebody who used to dump walls of text for people to read, I grew to feel like forums were the awkward middle-ground where they weren't interesting or fleshed out enough for long-form writing, but too long-winded and slow for the immediacy of IM clients or real-time discussion.

Even poking around here is mostly done out of nostalgia and also just seeing what people are up to, it's like reading an old book you have nice memories of.  I can't say I lament the loss of what it gave me more than how much I've felt moving forward with more direct or personal forms of online interaction.

I just lament the fact that it's shifted so much that this option is hardly available any more. There are loads of benefits to fast group interaction, but forums have always had their own advantages. Which is nearly lost now, because of the centralization of the Internet in general starting early last decade.

Private torrent trackers have always been the one consistent area of the internet for me, one that hasn't really changed at all in the last ten years, but I've never been able to really get into the communities on any of those sites.

i've heard from friends using LINE that they always IP gate certain things like stickers to Japanese IPs, too, so it can be uniquely frustrating.
i also have no idea if it's any better regarding data collection. generally everything is bad and is probably collecting all your data if it isn't end-to-end encrypted.

including discord and such

Edited by Pichi

I know this observation has been made plenty of times before, but social media is neither social nor media, and harms those who think it is a replacement for socializing or news. 

In my limited observation, I know plenty of people who absolutely hate social media. I know this because they openly post about how awful social media is on social media. It's an all-consuming glutton, ubiquitous in today's society. No matter where you go, everyone's connected. It's very much changed how we are, both online and off. The internet is not the same place now as it was even a decade ago, to say nothing of offline life. 

There were always problems with the internet: the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory, which states a "Normal Person + Anonymity + An Audience = Total Fuckwad," was coined way back in 2004. It's just, nowadays, people are doing it openly. They have no qualms about espousing hate openly on their personal Facebook or Twitter accounts, or ranting angrily into a camera for YouTube.